The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jul 31, 2012, 12:08pm
Official Forum Member

Worked a US Junior Nat'l 12th grade Girls tourny last night. Team A played a bad first half (turnovers, missed layups, missed FTs) and looked to initiate contact on offense. The players didnt get many of the alleged fouls they thought took place & were down by 12 at halftime with a 6-5 foul count. Coach didnt have any questions or comments during the first half.

Im L walking toward the division line (our chairs at the table) & coach A yells, "BLOW YOUR WHISTLE DOWN THERE!!" Whack...

Then he says, "What? Im just TELLING YOU to do YOUR JOB!!" Goodnight...

Team B makes 3 of 4 to start the second half, Team A is fired up & plays a helluva second half losing by (of course) 3.

The parents are giving me the biz for the entire half, the asst coach says nothing to us, we let him stand to coach. No harm, no foul, its summertime.

After the game the asst coach walks up & starts the old "you guys decided the game" routine. My partner told him the coach earned his Ts. Dude wasnt buying it, saying how hey couldve went to OT if it werent for the Ts, yada-yada-yada. I finally suggested that he take his L like a man & walk it off. He complied!!!
It doesnt pay to be nice, I should've sat him down!

Team As players came & shook our hands even though they lost. After being heckled for 16 minutes, that felt great as it showed that the players knew we called a good game & didnt have it out for them. They obviously know their coach & a few of their moms are idiots
Old Tue Jul 31, 2012, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

The 5-year old simply started beating the hell out of another kid, right in the middle of a play. Easy and obvious EJ. Was surprised to see him out there a couple of weeks later, and never saw him again after the 2nd incident.

The announcer was just a parent, on a PA system. Early in the game my partner actually had to tell him to stop being Howard Cosell during the play. The play was going toward my partner, and right as they handed the ball off for a reverse, the announcer told us all, "It's a REVERSE!!!!", tipping off the othre team.

Anyway, later in the game it was one of those plays where the RB hits the pile and the pile simply keeps moving forward, very very slowly. We didn't blow it, as he was still moving forward, when the PA guy goes nuts, "Blow it dead!" "Blow it dead! He's stopped!!!" (He wasn't). "GD-bomb, stop the F-ing play!" (still not dead). "What the F is wrong with you!!!"

Play finally goes down (I bet it was 15 yards in 30 seconds), and both partner and I go toss him. Turned out it was his kid.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Jul 31, 2012, 12:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Actually I've never ejected an AAU coach. I've T'd up my share but have never had to send one packing.
I have....and it turned out he was actually a HS coach from a different part of the state....and it turned out that, a couple years later, I was assigned his team's game in state championship quarterfinal. He didn't say much to me that night.
Old Tue Jul 31, 2012, 12:41pm
Official Forum Member

Had to eject a coach a few weeks ago at a Hoop Group event in Philly...... The guy said he wasn't going to leave and one on the Hoop Group guys came over and told the guy he was going to have to leave if they wanted to play in anymore of their events. He left ( after he called me a cheater. a *****, a
punk) and an intern for the Hoop Group coached the rest of the game...........................and surprisingly NO PROBLEMS !!!!!!!!!!
Old Tue Jul 31, 2012, 07:15pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
I've been officiating 15 years and only ever thrown out one coach.
So, uh, guess who threw out a coach tonight. . .?
Old Wed Aug 01, 2012, 09:02am
Official Forum Member

Way 2 handle your biz Scrapper1
Old Wed Aug 01, 2012, 09:34am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
My apologies.
Old Wed Aug 01, 2012, 11:44am
Back from the DL

Quote:
Cussin? Excessive BS?
Old Wed Aug 01, 2012, 01:33pm
Certified Non-Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Actually I've never ejected an AAU coach. I've T'd up my share but have never had to send one packing.
Threw out my first this summer. Well earned.
Old Wed Aug 01, 2012, 01:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
I've had a partner give two Ts to a coach once (YMCA). But this was my first.
During my first couple of years of summer officiating, I personally gave 2 techs to a coach. The techs were very much earned, but someone - and I'm sure you would give the same, snaqs - encouraged me to follow a bit of protocol that might help reduce the odds that I would give the 2nd tech and increase the odds that my partner would whack him. I've stuck with that since then, and it has seemed to work well.

It's helped me be more accountable to my partner should I be administering that 2nd tech and it's kept me from giving that 2nd tech.

Bad news during the summer though, and I experienced this last week, I may have a partner that is less than willing to back you up and give that 2nd technical. I was forced to walk all the way across the floor and whack a coach a second time for calling me an expletive. I was irritated with the coach, but moreso in my partner for not having my back.

Finished venting.....
Old Wed Aug 01, 2012, 01:50pm
Official Forum Member

You bang him, I'll run him

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLH17 View Post
Bad news during the summer though, and I experienced this last week, I may have a partner that is less than willing to back you up and give that 2nd technical.
Unfortunately the "he wasnt talking to me" guy works during the real season as well. I hate when a tag team situation presents itself but only one official has the courage to do the dirty work.
Old Wed Aug 01, 2012, 02:53pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

While I would have preferred to have my partner call the second, his stunt was performed 10 feet away from me as I was reporting his first T. The opportunity just wasn't there.
Old Wed Aug 01, 2012, 04:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
While I would have preferred to have my partner call the second, his stunt was performed 10 feet away from me as I was reporting his first T. The opportunity just wasn't there.
IDK Snaqs, I guess it all boils down to our partners game awareness & willingness to take care of biz.
Personally, I have eyes on the coach after my partner whacks him. Especially while he's walking away &/or reporting the T! I'd like to think that while you're reaching for the whistle, I'm sticking.

I know its summer, but by the description of when the 2nd T came it doesnt sound like you & your partner conversed after the 1st one??
Old Wed Aug 01, 2012, 04:23pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
IDK Snaqs, I guess it all boils down to our partners game awareness & willingness to take care of biz.
Personally, I have eyes on the coach after my partner whacks him. Especially while he's walking away &/or reporting the T! I'd like to think that while you're reaching for the whistle, I'm sticking.

I know its summer, but by the description of when the 2nd T came it doesnt sound like you & your partner conversed after the 1st one??
I was standing by the table as I called it (I was T in transition), so I just turned to report it. It would have been interesting to see how the AC responded had I instead jogged to my partner before reporting.

The way it happened, I just didn't give my partner a chance to call it. I was right there, I was the target of the AC's "criticism," so I just dealt with it.
Old Wed Aug 01, 2012, 04:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
Unfortunately the "he wasnt talking to me" guy works during the real season as well. I hate when a tag team situation presents itself but only one official has the courage to do the dirty work.
ugh