The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 04, 2005, 02:27pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Talking

Last night, I noticed that the visiting team had players with numbers 01 and 03.
Old Fri Feb 04, 2005, 02:39pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

No T

Would I have to use two hands to signal a foul by these players?
Old Fri Feb 04, 2005, 02:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Snaqwells
Last night, I noticed that the visiting team had players with numbers 01 and 03.
No whack. If it bothers you, tell the AD about it, but don't punish the kids.

Z
Old Fri Feb 04, 2005, 02:58pm
Official Forum Member

01 and 03 turn into 1 and 3 so easily.

I agree, don't whack.
Old Fri Feb 04, 2005, 03:25pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Sorry. I wasn't clear in my sarcasm. No way I'm calling that. I just got a chuckle at it when I thought back to the 0/00 thread. Honestly, I didn't even look to see if the book had them as 1 and 3. I'd never even consider a T for this.
Old Fri Feb 04, 2005, 03:40pm
Official Forum Member

I wouldn't think of wacking them either although there are rules for numbers that are legal & illegal. Kind of a funny story here: About 5 years ago I had a jr high game (7th grade) where 2 players on the same team had the same number (they had a lot of kids--likely an honest mix-up). I didn't want to but I had to wack'em. He leaves the game and comes back in a few minutes later with a different jersey (I was the lead when he came in) so my partner T's him up again for not being in the book!! Automatic ejection. Poor kid, doesn't even get to play and gets kicked out. I thought that was a bit harsh.
Old Fri Feb 04, 2005, 03:54pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally posted by stick
I wouldn't think of wacking them either although there are rules for numbers that are legal & illegal. Kind of a funny story here: About 5 years ago I had a jr high game (7th grade) where 2 players on the same team had the same number (they had a lot of kids--likely an honest mix-up). I didn't want to but I had to wack'em. He leaves the game and comes back in a few minutes later with a different jersey (I was the lead when he came in) so my partner T's him up again for not being in the book!! Automatic ejection. Poor kid, doesn't even get to play and gets kicked out. I thought that was a bit harsh.
Those aren't player T's are they? Not sure about the first, but I'm sure the 2nd is an administrative T. The T is on the team for adding a player to the book; not on the player for not being in the book.
Old Fri Feb 04, 2005, 04:12pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

NF Rule 10-3-1

A player shall not:

"Participate after changing his/her number without reporting it to the scorer and an official"

This is a Player T in NF rules (see also the Technical Foul Summary).

However, if I was officiating a Jr High game, I might be proactive and ask the coach if this was the player who previously had the illegal number. If the answer was yes, I'd have them tell the scorer the new number and play on as the coach had just told an official (myself) and the player) of the number change.

[Edited by Stat-Man on Feb 4th, 2005 at 04:14 PM]

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball
Old Fri Feb 04, 2005, 04:36pm
Official Forum Member

I was R tonight for BJV game. Closed out the book with 5 minutes to start the game. At halftime scorekeeper tells me there were no numbers put in the book to start the game for the visiting team. Duh. I assumed the players numbers were in the book, but that's what I get for assuming. She just wrote them all in after the first foul was called.

Lesson learned, check the book!
Old Fri Feb 04, 2005, 06:54pm
Official Forum Member

I'm a little slow but I do recall someone trying to justify that 0 and 00 were the same by doing some math...

well here is my take on some math.

000 - 00 = 0

they are obviously not the same!

3 zeroes minus 2 zeroes equals 1 zero

and there you are.... T 'em!

I must be on crack... oh no, that is a different thread.
Old Fri Feb 04, 2005, 06:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by thumpferee
I was R tonight for BJV game. Closed out the book with 5 minutes to start the game. At halftime scorekeeper tells me there were no numbers put in the book to start the game for the visiting team. Duh. I assumed the players numbers were in the book, but that's what I get for assuming. She just wrote them all in after the first foul was called.

Lesson learned, check the book!
You're kidding. So when you check the book, do you just check to make sure there's a book there? How do you miss the numbers? You don't check for duplicates before the game?
Old Sat Feb 05, 2005, 08:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Snaqwells
Quote:
Originally posted by stick
Those aren't player T's are they? Not sure about the first, but I'm sure the 2nd is an administrative T. The T is on the team for adding a player to the book; not on the player for not being in the book.
You may be right on that one. But my partner that game did it all. I just watched. They won by a huge margin anyway so the coach didn't care too much about it. He was more pissed at whoever ordered the uni's for the mix-up.