The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jul 03, 2003, 10:40am
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: THis one will go at least 3 pages!

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
We need an emoticon for speechless...
Nah, we just need a picture of Chuck, since he's been speechless since I challenged him on this.

Does anyone have a picture of Chuck?

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Thu Jul 03, 2003, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Lotto
My ruling on the legal issues...

My view is that block makes it certain that the ball isn't going in the bucket, so the try has ended before the ball leaves the shooter's hand. Hence no loss of team control, hence no backcourt violation.

Another way to look at it is that the ball hasn't been "released" as part of the try, but rather swatted away by the defender.

The comparison to a batted ball while dribbling seems quite a propos here...
Old Thu Jul 03, 2003, 10:43am
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: THis one will go at least 3 pages!

Quote:
I contend we only have a try if the ball is in flight towards the player's own basket.
No, no, no...that's not what the rule says. The ball doesn't even have to take flight to be considered a try. You can't possibly disagree with that.

There's definitely a try. The question is whether the shot being blocked and subsequently leaving the shooter's hand constitutes the ball being in flight.

Old Thu Jul 03, 2003, 10:47am
Official Forum Member

Re: My ruling on the legal issues...

Quote:
Originally posted by Lotto
My view is that block makes it certain that the ball isn't going in the bucket, so the try has ended before the ball leaves the shooter's hand.
How can you possibly say that the try has ended when the ball hasn't left the shooter's hand? You have no way of knowing the try won't be good until it leaves his hand. You've never seen a shot blocked that didn't still leave the shooter's hand and had a chance to go in?

Point is, until it leaves his hand, you can't know that it's not going in, unless you have ESP! And when it leaves his hand, TC ends.

Old Thu Jul 03, 2003, 10:49am
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: THis one will go at least 3 pages!

Quote:
Ah...but your argument hinges on the fact that the try is in flight. I contend we only have a try if the ball is in flight towards the player's own basket. There is precedence for this in the case book.
True. My lawyers were only taking issue with your point that my point was invalid due to the direction that the ball went. Or something like that. Can I have a sidebar? :-)

Z
Old Thu Jul 03, 2003, 10:50am
Official Forum Member

any my two cents worth....if you have ESP don't even show up at the game, just mail in the results LOL :P
Old Thu Jul 03, 2003, 10:50am
In Memoriam

Quote:

[/B]
As I recall those case plays under 9-5 refer to how a dribble ends for the purposes of determining travel, and 9.5.1 is one of those ways - am I right? If so then I'm not sure 9-5-1 can be extended to include what constitues loss of team control. Would you say A lost team control if B1 knocks the ball from A1's hands not during a try? I know, I know, you're gonna say it's different because A1 did start his try, then I'm gonna ask why & you're gonna say because. Got anything better? [/B][/QUOTE]Nope,9.5.1 talks about a player blocking a shot(after it's left the shooter's hands),and the shooter getting the ball in the air and coming down with it. Ruling? Legal-can dribble,pass or shoot.Player and team control ended when shooter released the ball.Now,if you knock the ball out of the hands of a player holding the ball,ya definitely got a loss of player control BUT No loss of team control.So,the question is-"is it different on a shot-i.e.what caused the ball to be in flight?Attempted shot? I don't think that this one is definitevely covered,to be honest.I just liked Tony's reasoning.
Old Thu Jul 03, 2003, 10:54am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
/B]
Nah, we just need a picture of Chuck, since he's been speechless since I challenged him on this.

Does anyone have a picture of Chuck? [/B][/QUOTE]It;s a dirty job,but somebody's gotta do it!

Old Thu Jul 03, 2003, 11:00am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: THis one will go at least 3 pages!

Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman
Quote:
Ah...but your argument hinges on the fact that the try is in flight. I contend we only have a try if the ball is in flight towards the player's own basket. There is precedence for this in the case book.
True. My lawyers were only taking issue with your point that my point was invalid due to the direction that the ball went. Or something like that. Can I have a sidebar? :-)

Z
why don't we just hit the bar?
Old Thu Jul 03, 2003, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
As I recall those case plays under 9-5 refer to how a dribble ends for the purposes of determining travel, and 9.5.1 is one of those ways - am I right? If so then I'm not sure 9-5-1 can be extended to include what constitues loss of team control. Would you say A lost team control if B1 knocks the ball from A1's hands not during a try? I know, I know, you're gonna say it's different because A1 did start his try, then I'm gonna ask why & you're gonna say because. Got anything better? [/B]
Nope,9.5.1 talks about a player blocking a shot(after it's left the shooter's hands),and the shooter getting the ball in the air and coming down with it. Ruling? Legal-can dribble,pass or shoot.Player and team control ended when shooter released the ball.Now,if you knock the ball out of the hands of a player holding the ball,ya definitely got a loss of player control BUT No loss of team control.So,the question is-"is it different on a shot-i.e.what caused the ball to be in flight?Attempted shot? I don't think that this one is definitevely covered,to be honest.I just liked Tony's reasoning. [/B][/QUOTE]

Well, if the ball's already in flight we already lost team control, so it doesn't apply at all.

You just like Tony better, that's all! :sniff sniff:
Old Thu Jul 03, 2003, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: THis one will go at least 3 pages!

Quote:
Quote:
I contend we only have a try if the ball is in flight towards the player's own basket.
No, no, no...that's not what the rule says. The ball doesn't even have to take flight to be considered a try. You can't possibly disagree with that.

There's definitely a try. The question is whether the shot being blocked and subsequently leaving the shooter's hand constitutes the ball being in flight.
I'm not saying the ball needs to be in flight to have a try. I'm saying it can't be a try if the attempt is made at the opponent's basket - this counters your argument that the ball is in flight when B1 strips A1 before the shot gets off. The ball took flight towards the opponent's basket; ergo, ipso facto and zippity doo-dah we don't have a try.
Old Thu Jul 03, 2003, 11:13am
In Memoriam

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:
Quote:
Well, if the ball's already in flight we already lost team control, so it doesn't apply at all.

You just like Tony better, that's all! :sniff sniff:
No,I like you(and Jim Nayzium) about the same!

I still gotta agree with Tony that the ball is in flight because of the blocked shot,too,and it's still a try also.Ergo,ipso facto and patrice lumumba,there's a loss of team control.
Old Thu Jul 03, 2003, 11:13am
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: My ruling on the legal issues...

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Lotto
My view is that block makes it certain that the ball isn't going in the bucket, so the try has ended before the ball leaves the shooter's hand.
How can you possibly say that the try has ended when the ball hasn't left the shooter's hand? You have no way of knowing the try won't be good until it leaves his hand. You've never seen a shot blocked that didn't still leave the shooter's hand and had a chance to go in?

Point is, until it leaves his hand, you can't know that it's not going in, unless you have ESP! And when it leaves his hand, TC ends.

Whoa...I think I'm getting dizzy....
Old Thu Jul 03, 2003, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

No,I like you(and Jim Nayzium) about the same!
Old Thu Jul 03, 2003, 11:32am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Re: Re: Re: THis one will go at least 3 pages!

Quote:
we just need a picture of Chuck, since he's been speechless since I challenged him on this.
Sorry. I had to drive my parents to the airport this morning. See? Sometimes I actually do have a life.

Anyway, here's my "contribution". Let's change the scenario slightly. A1 begins his try. B1 bats the ball out of A1's hands before A1 releases the try. (So far, it's the same.) But suppose that instead of directing the ball toward the backcourt, B1's bat sends the ball toward A's goal. The ball is in flight. The horn sounds, ending the period. The ball enters the basket. You gonna count it?

If you say that the basket is good, then you think that A1 released a try for goal, meaning that team control ended. In that case, you also have to say that there would be no backcourt violation in the original play.

If you wave off the basket, then you obviously think that A1 did not release a try for goal. In that case, you also have to say that you would call the backcourt violation.

Personally, I'm leaning to waving off the basket.