View Single Post
Old Thu Jul 03, 2003, 10:50am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref

[/B]
As I recall those case plays under 9-5 refer to how a dribble ends for the purposes of determining travel, and 9.5.1 is one of those ways - am I right? If so then I'm not sure 9-5-1 can be extended to include what constitues loss of team control. Would you say A lost team control if B1 knocks the ball from A1's hands not during a try? I know, I know, you're gonna say it's different because A1 did start his try, then I'm gonna ask why & you're gonna say because. Got anything better? [/B][/QUOTE]Nope,9.5.1 talks about a player blocking a shot(after it's left the shooter's hands),and the shooter getting the ball in the air and coming down with it. Ruling? Legal-can dribble,pass or shoot.Player and team control ended when shooter released the ball.Now,if you knock the ball out of the hands of a player holding the ball,ya definitely got a loss of player control BUT No loss of team control.So,the question is-"is it different on a shot-i.e.what caused the ball to be in flight?Attempted shot? I don't think that this one is definitevely covered,to be honest.I just liked Tony's reasoning.