The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jul 03, 2003, 08:58pm
Official Forum Member

a=offense b=defense

hello,
during a national aau basketball tournament, team(a) has the ball out of bounds at the baseline in there frontcourt and on the throw in it hits off a player on team(a) and goes into backcourt is this a violation are a good no call.

thx
tim

[Edited by timharris on Jul 4th, 2003 at 06:42 AM]
Watch your thoughts; they become words. Watch your words; they become actions. Watch your actions, they become habits. Watch your habits, they become character. Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.

Tim Harris
Old Thu Jul 03, 2003, 09:23pm
certified Hot Mom tester

I can tell you what the call is under NF rules, however many AAU games are played under NCAA rules. But from what I've read on this board, the ruling on this play would be the same under either.

It is a no call. One of the four elements required to have an over and back call is team control. There is no team control on a throw in. During a period of no team control, team control is first established when a player establishes player control. Player control is defined as a player dribbling or holding a live ball inbounds. Having a ball hit off a player, or having a player "bat" a ball is not the same as dribbling or holding the ball. Without team control, you have no violation.
Old Thu Jul 03, 2003, 09:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by timharris
a=offense b=defense

hello,
during a national aau basketball tournament, team(a) has the ball out of bounds at the baseline in there frontcourt and on the throw in it hits off a player on team(a) and goes into backcourt is this a violation are a good no call.
No team control, no violation.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Thu Jul 03, 2003, 10:49pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

Ya' know - I didn't read the post properly and assumed he meant the ball was then touched in the backcourt by a member of team A, when in fact all he said was that the ball was touched by a member of team A in the frontcourt on a throw in and he didn't go any further with the situation.

Obviously, sticking specifically to what the post asked, there could not even be a consideration of a backcourt violation until the ball was touched after it had been in the backcourt. In the situation posted, even if that happened, there would be no violation, which is what I originally answered.

I'm so mad at myself for not reading the post correctly, I could just kick myself.