View Single Post
Old Thu Jul 03, 2003, 10:30am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Re: Re: THis one will go at least 3 pages!

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Z, how could you say that there's no team control, when the ball is still clearly in his hands?
Okay, it's on! Here we go!!

4-40-3
The try starts when the player begins the motion which habitually precedes the release of the ball.

4-12-3
Team control continues until:
a. The ball is in flight during a try or tap for goal.

The try has started, the ball is swatted out of his hand, it's now in flight. When it's apparent the try has no chance to score, the try has ended. But team control has ended. This is a try that was slapped out of a shooter's hand, not a dribble that was slapped away by a defender. Team control has ended.

Your turn!
Casebook play 4.12COMMENT says there's no team control after the ball has left the hand on a try or tap for goal.It doesn't say HOW it leaves the hand,which is Tony's point.Also,casebook play 9.5.1 talks about a blocked shot.Using the same logic as 9.5.1,if B1 knocks the ball out of A1's hands on a shot,and A1 recovers it in the air and comes down,are you gonna call A1 for travelling? I'm not! I think that I'm going with Tony on this one(at least,until something else might get pointed out ).
As I recall those case plays under 9-5 refer to how a dribble ends for the purposes of determining travel, and 9.5.1 is one of those ways - am I right? If so then I'm not sure 9-5-1 can be extended to include what constitues loss of team control. Would you say A lost team control if B1 knocks the ball from A1's hands not during a try? I know, I know, you're gonna say it's different because A1 did start his try, then I'm gonna ask why & you're gonna say because. Got anything better?