The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack (2) Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun May 13, 2012, 04:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
No one is saying that Davis should not be held accountable. But when people say that someone in officiating needs to be held accountable, that always cracks me up because this is not about you or me. He is accountable to his bosses and that is all that matters. Not that I am on that level, but I gave a T this year that was in dispute and the only people I had to answer to was the state and my assignor if he choose to say a word to me about the situation.

The media does not need to know the inner workings of what an employer was saying to an employee as they don't do that with the teams either. If a team has an issue, they work it mostly internally and then we might hear or see the results. If Davis did something wrong in this case he would be dealt with mostly privately. And if you do not see him any more, then you can draw some conclusions, but that does not mean those conclusions that you make are accurate either. For all we know Davis might have worked as far as he was going to work for all kinds of reasons. Maybe he did not grade out high enough during the regular season? Accountability does not mean that someone has to be accountable to you about anything.

Peace
He made the Finals last year and generally, unlike the NHL, the same people make the Finals every single year. As for everything remaining private, the toothpaste is out of the tube for that one. We have websites dedicated to NCAA men's basketball officials statistics and schedules the last 16 years. Every ejection in MLB is graded on a website for correct/incorrect calls (by the way it will not make Todd Tichenor look good when today's ejection is posted). The NBA has to post statements about incorrect late game calls. In today's world everyone is held accountable.
Old Sun May 13, 2012, 05:10pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmagan View Post
He made the Finals last year and generally, unlike the NHL, the same people make the Finals every single year.
Maybe I am wrong here, but I believe this was his first Finals last year. And you would be wrong that the same people make it every year. There might be some of the same names, but that does not mean that certain officials cannot be new or work their first time. There is theoretically a different crew make up every game. I am sure APG can shed some light on the overall process, but it is certainly not the same people and no one else new comes along or a new person every year is not eligible.

Quote:
As for everything remaining private, the toothpaste is out of the tube for that one. We have websites dedicated to NCAA men's basketball officials statistics and schedules the last 16 years. Every ejection in MLB is graded on a website for correct/incorrect calls (by the way it will not make Todd Tichenor look good when today's ejection is posted). The NBA has to post statements about incorrect late game calls. In today's world everyone is held accountable.
You really need to be educated on a few things. The NCAA Men's stats that you refer to, is a website that basically goes through listed or common box score listings and tells you where someone has worked and what conferences someone is normally working. The information is not from the NCAA or the conferences directly.

MLB might grade and ejections and put it on a website, but I doubt they do it the way you suggest (and I doubt this is run by MLB, but I am not sure). And it is common knowledge that MLB does not get rid of their staff or members that make bad judgments or do not grade out with their peers. MLB basically allows an umpire to retire on their terms until maybe a certain age or certain years of service have been reached. MLB hardly even suspends their umpires for things they do. Heck if you look at the way MLB Umpires handle ejections I think Davis' ejection was tame.

And the NBA much more unforgiving of their staff than the MLB has ever been. Joe West is still an umpire that should tell you enough right there based on the controversial situations West has been involved in and his physical appearance.

If you do not like the way the NBA gives out information that is fine, but do not suggest it is a lack of accountability so you know what they think. I am sure there was a report made to the league on the situation as I am sure all of these situations are reported to the league. And NBA officials have many more fouls and no calls that they are evaluated than any MLB umpire has unless they are working behind the plate. A base umpire might be lucky if they have a single call to make in a game. The NBA does not owe you anything.

Peace
Old Sun May 13, 2012, 05:26pm
Official Forum Member

Marc Davis (along with Ed Malloy) made his first Finals appearances last year.

And this whole bit about Marc Davis not being held accountable (assuming League Offices don't like the T) is silly. If they don't like the T, they'll rescind it, and maybe in this case, release a statement. If they really think the call is bad, they may even fine him and/or suspend him for a game or two. These things do happen, but the NBA (or any other professional sporting league in North America except for a rare occasion) doesn't make it public as a matter of policy .
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sun May 13, 2012, 05:45pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post

And this whole bit about Marc Davis not being held accountable (assuming League Offices don't like the T) is silly. If they don't like the T, they'll rescind it, and maybe in this case, release a statement. If they really think the call is bad, they may even fine him and/or suspend him for a game or two. These things do happen, but the NBA (or any other professional sporting league in North America except for a rare occasion) doesn't make it public as a matter of policy .
And if you did not watch the game live, you probably did not even know this took place. I doubt there is going to be much of an press release for this T even if they did not like the call.

Peace
Old Sun May 13, 2012, 06:09pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserkBBK View Post
I'm not sure why you're throwing a fellow official under the bus,
I've got a theory...

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserkBBK View Post
You sound like a fanboy and don't understand officiating. If you aren't a clippers fan and just commenting on one bad call, then you are worse than any fan that thinks he/she is your clinician for the night.
This goes along with my theory.
Old Sun May 13, 2012, 06:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

But the made free throw from the technical foul is not rescinded.
Old Sun May 13, 2012, 07:30pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
What happen the rest of the game?

You must have bet on the game.

Peace
Old Sun May 13, 2012, 07:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
I've got a theory...

This goes along with my theory.
Obviously you are right Snaqs. Tmagan is obviously a fanboy and a troll, the NBA will not miss this "fan".
Old Sun May 13, 2012, 07:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
That point isn't germane to the discussion. Your initial point is SOMETHING has to be done for credibility sake. If the NBA believes this is something they need to make public statement (assuming they rescind the T) they'll issue a statement saying Evans should not have been issued a T (much like they just came out recently stating there should have been an away-from-the-play foul in game 6 of the Hawks v. Celtics game).

Your next point seemed to be about being held accountable. As you've been told, officials in the NBA are held accountable...it's just the NBA doesn't feel the need to publicize this, in general. No amount of amateurs and uneducated public making websites tracking this and that and giving calls their own grades, though having no training in how to calls games at the professional level is going to change that.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Old Mon May 14, 2012, 04:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
That point isn't germane to the discussion. Your initial point is SOMETHING has to be done for credibility sake. If the NBA believes this is something they need to make public statement (assuming they rescind the T) they'll issue a statement saying Evans should not have been issued a T (much like they just came out recently stating there should have been an away-from-the-play foul in game 6 of the Hawks v. Celtics game).

Your next point seemed to be about being held accountable. As you've been told, officials in the NBA are held accountable...it's just the NBA doesn't feel the need to publicize this, in general. No amount of amateurs and uneducated public making websites tracking this and that and giving calls their own grades, though having no training in how to calls games at the professional level is going to change that.
Generally we know how NBA officials are graded. We didn't see Olandis Poole, Eli Roe or Tommy Nunez Jr. make the NBA postseason this year even though they all have at least seven years experience. The top twelve officials we know because they make the Finals.

In terms of baseball, Doug Eddings hasn't made a baseball postseason since 2005.

We also remember after a bad postseason for the umpires a couple of years ago, two MLB umpire supervisors lost their jobs.
Old Mon May 14, 2012, 09:33am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Generally we know how NBA officials are graded. We didn't see Olandis Poole, Eli Roe or Tommy Nunez Jr. make the NBA postseason this year even though they all have at least seven years experience. The top twelve officials we know because they make the Finals.

In terms of baseball, Doug Eddings hasn't made a baseball postseason since 2005.

We also remember after a bad postseason for the umpires a couple of years ago, two MLB umpire supervisors lost their jobs.
OK, then why are you worried about this situation then? If you already know as you say, then we will find out rather soon what the NBA thinks of Davis or any official right?

Pace
Old Mon May 14, 2012, 10:43am
Official Forum Member

Question

Quote:

Okay...and?

Old Mon May 14, 2012, 10:58am
Esteemed Participant

Doug Eddings had a couple of seasons where he was "graded" fairly low by MLB and the umpire system they have in place. And the supervisors that were fired by MLB were not fired over one call.

To say that Davis - or any official - should be fired or be "done" because of one call, which may or may not have been graded poorly, is ridiculous. Even if it was an egregiously bad call, tmagan, you honestly believe that one call should cost this official the remainder of the playoffs? So basically you are falling into the whole "the refs cost us the game" camp?

Really?
Old Mon May 14, 2012, 11:15am
Official & Member

Quote:
I watched the video of the Marc Davis technical foul with 1:25 left in the second quarter. It was not for something on the other side of the court. If the technical foul was just for giving a high five to Blake Griffin, Davis can not be allowed to officiate another game during the rest of the playoffs. It is one thing to miss a lane violation, but something of this apparent magnitude is unacceptable. In addition, If I were Stern (who has enough problems himself), I would tell Stu Jackson and Don Vaden if any other officials pull a stunt like this during the rest of the playoffs, that they both would be held accountable and risk losing their jobs. It is bad enough that the sport has credibility issues, the Commissioner himself has credibility issues, this puts the whole sport in ill repute if the technical foul were for just giving a high five.
Reggie Evans may have received a technical foul for giving Blake Griffin a high-five (VIDEO) | Ball Don't Lie - Yahoo! Sports
Until the reason for the T is made public (if it EVER is), the only thing "in ill repute" is your biased, and absurd, posting that Marc Davis be removed from further playoff consideration.

Your rant would be better served on the ESPN website following an article by one of their ignorant writers calling into question the officiating in this years playoffs.

It's that time of the year. I miss JR.
Old Mon May 14, 2012, 08:16pm
Whack! Get Out!!!

The technical wasn't for the high-five ... if you listen the whistle comes exactly when they are high-fiving ... officials' whistles always come a second or so after the infraction.

The tech is for Reggie Evans extending his right arm to hit Marc Gasol in the face. The official calling the technical waits until the official with the foul makes his call and then blows the whistle for the tech on the play.

You can agree or disagree with whether the tech for flailing his arms was a foul, but the tech wasn't for the high-five.