The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 05, 2004, 03:35pm
Official Forum Member

I'll be trying out the Gerry Davis stance this afternoon for the first time in game conditions (well, LL majors, about as close to game conditions as I get!)

Will report tomorrow.

POB
Old Sat May 08, 2004, 09:01pm
Official Forum Member

Gerry Davis stance

Guess the Gerry Davis stance killed pob14. He hasn't beeen heard from since the 5th of May.

Michael

[Edited by MichaelVA2000 on May 9th, 2004 at 10:24 AM]
Old Sat May 08, 2004, 09:36pm
Official Forum Member

Either he died, or he is setting up in the wrong spot and can't see the plate. The game might still be going with all the balls he is calling.
Old Sat May 08, 2004, 11:36pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jim Porter Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Porter
He might've taken shots to both his arms and can no longer type.

(Anyone who knows my history with the GD stance might find that a bit humorous.)
Old Sun May 09, 2004, 12:22am
Official Forum Member

You definitely get hit more often... got the buises to prove it. But it sure makes for a better view of the game.
Old Sun May 09, 2004, 03:03pm
Official Forum Member

I switched to the GD mid-last year. Now I find I do get hit more but often where I have protection ie. mask, chest and shoulders, but never on the arms.
Old Mon May 10, 2004, 01:17am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

I've used it the last three weeks, and have been blasted on both arms. Switched to dropping my hands down behind my knees during delivery to see if this helps.

I think I'll back to working from a knee.
Old Mon May 10, 2004, 01:32am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Carl Childress
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by kylejt
I've used it the last three weeks, and have been blasted on both arms. Switched to dropping my hands down behind my knees during delivery to see if this helps.

I think I'll back to working from a knee.
You're defeating the number one advantage of the GD stance; that is, your skeleton supports a set position rather than the standing set, which creates the fatigue.

Keep at it. Your successes will far outweigh a few smacks. Of course, I have a long-sleeve, loose-fitting UnderArmour, which masks the forearm guards I use. Someone said I was a wimp for using protection, so I tried a game without my mask and....
Old Mon May 10, 2004, 02:39am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jim Porter Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Porter
Quote:
Originally posted by Carl Childress Of course, I have a long-sleeve, loose-fitting UnderArmour, which masks the forearm guards I use. Someone said I was a wimp for using protection, so I tried a game without my mask and....
The shots I've been taking to my arms have been so painful (stopping the game for 5 minutes to get control back over my arm and let it stop shaking) that I've been considering protection for my forearm up to and including my elbow. Any suggestions, Papa C, on where I might buy such protection and which brand?
Old Mon May 10, 2004, 07:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim Porter
Quote:
Originally posted by Carl Childress Of course, I have a long-sleeve, loose-fitting UnderArmour, which masks the forearm guards I use. Someone said I was a wimp for using protection, so I tried a game without my mask and....
The shots I've been taking to my arms have been so painful (stopping the game for 5 minutes to get control back over my arm and let it stop shaking) that I've been considering protection for my forearm up to and including my elbow. Any suggestions, Papa C, on where I might buy such protection and which brand?
Jim:

I went to Wal-Mart and bought a pair of youth shin guards (less than $4.00). They cover from the wrist to near the elbow. More and more umpires around the world will switch to the Gerry Davis stance, so I expect some manufacturer to create a special piece of equipment. I'm sure you'll be able to get it at gerrydavis.com. (grin)
Old Mon May 10, 2004, 08:02am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by Carl Childress
Quote:
Originally posted by Jim Porter
Quote:
Jim:

I went to Wal-Mart and bought a pair of youth shin guards (less than $4.00). They cover from the wrist to near the elbow. More and more umpires around the world will switch to the Gerry Davis stance, so I expect some manufacturer to create a special piece of equipment. I'm sure you'll be able to get it at gerrydavis.com. (grin)
Either that, or umpires will decide to not work the stance.

I worked the GD stance and gave myself quite a bit of time to get used to it -- and I never did. I may try again now that my college schedule is complete and once the HS schedule is over.

I'm sure there are heel-to-toe umpires that feel the same way about the scissors and vice-versa. There is no one "perfect" position for a number of reasons.

I couldn't imagine wearing forearm protection, but then again I know that times change and I certainly wouldn't mock anyone for wearing any protective gear. An umpire that trusts his equipment will umpire better. Me, I just grab the catcher by his chest protector straps when necessary and convert him into a balloon protector.
Old Mon May 10, 2004, 08:07am
Official Forum Member

Try the jicecone stance (JS).

Rest your elbows on your knees instead of your hands. You have the same stability, take less of a licking and can keep on ticking.

I haven't quite finished my video on it yet but, mabey but the turn of the decade.

Seriously, it has all the benifits of Mr d's stance, but you sit just a tad lower.

Works for me.
Old Mon May 10, 2004, 11:15am
I drank what?

Send a message via MSN to w_sohl
Gerry Davis Stance

what is it?
Old Mon May 10, 2004, 11:26am
Official Forum Member

Re: Gerry Davis Stance

Quote:
Originally posted by w_sohl
what is it?
Go here http://childress.officiating.com/ and read the articles on Gerry Davis. Go here http://www.officialforum.com/thread/13389 to read an earlier thread.

[Edited by Carl Childress on May 10th, 2004 at 12:28 PM]
Old Mon May 10, 2004, 10:10pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to jumpmaster Send a message via MSN to jumpmaster Send a message via Yahoo to jumpmaster
Thumbs up GD works for me

I started the GD this year after a year away from the game. I tried it for one reason, I didn't feel like I was getting a good lock in at delivery. I really like it and feel that the low and outside pitch is one of my most consistent calls now. However, I did take a shot in the cup when a AAAA Varsity catcher bailed on me and left me hanging...or should I say wimpering...

Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here - CPT John Parker, April 19, 1775, Lexington, Mass