The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Mar 20, 2010, 12:21am
Official Forum Member

Box v. Davis

For ten years I have used the box stance. This year, I've just started reading about the Davis. For those who have worked extensively with both, what do you see as the pros and cons. Which one do you find suits your body better? Which one do you feel you see the zone better? What do you consider the major differences between the two? I am 6'4" and have a big frame. I weigh in about 280 but really could only drop about 20 pounds without looking freakishly thin. My back and knees are fine... for now. I ask because I want to call a good game but keep my back and knees in pristine condition.
Old Sat Mar 20, 2010, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

Good Question. I just changed last year after my second knee operation in five years. Granted, that was an acculmalation of being an ex-catcher, and 25 years of Ice Hockey and Baseball officiating but, both both injuries were the direct result of early baseball season strain behind the plate. Each time I was using the Box stance. After knee surgery healed last year I went to Davis stand and right off the bat noticed less back and upper leg stress during and after the games. I have sinced changed permanently to the Davis stance.

The knees still hurt a little but, I am 60 and about your size (6-2, 250), but still not as bad as before. You will see more of the strike zone and in my case because I am sitting higher, I am getting hit more. Ordered a new WV platinum yesterday so that should take care of that.

I was comfortable with the box for about 20+ years but adjusting to Davis is not really a big deal if you stick to the basic mechanics necessary for any stance. Stay set, watch the ball into the glove, give your mind a 1/2 sec to reacte and decide, and then verbalize ball or strike. Of course sitting a little higher you may rely more on how the catcher takes the low pitches but the adjustment is easy and certainly well worth the less strss and strain on the body. If I plan on staying competitive with the young officials (yea sure) I will definitely need the body to stay healthy.
Old Sat Mar 20, 2010, 12:17pm
Administrator

I am 5-'09" tall and while I do not have back problems I do have arthritic knees. Am I tall enough to use the Davis Method? I have read articles on it and it appears that I am not tall enough to use it.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sat Mar 20, 2010, 06:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
I am 5-'09" tall and while I do not have back problems I do have arthritic knees. Am I tall enough to use the Davis Method? I have read articles on it and it appears that I am not tall enough to use it.

MTD, Sr.
You're likely taller in the Davis stance than in whatever you currently use.
Old Sat Mar 20, 2010, 08:18pm
Veteran College Umpire

I'm just over 5'9" and I use the Davis stance and yes, I do set up higher than I did in either the scissors (which I used for 20 years) or the box (which I used for about 4 years).

JJ
Old Sat Mar 20, 2010, 11:45pm
Official Forum Member

I'm 6'0'', and I actually have to spread my feet a little over three feet apart to achieve a workable head height. Just have a narrower stance and you should be fine, Mark.