The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 31, 2007, 02:58pm
Official Forum Member

Davis stance/K3C

Ok, so I'm working on using the Davis stance for the upcoming season, but am running into a minor glitch---I can't find a Strike 3 mechanic that's comfortable. May just be the new stance, but I thought I'd get the thoughts of those that use it---What mechanic do you use out of the GDS?
Old Wed Jan 31, 2007, 03:50pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonInKansas
Ok, so I'm working on using the Davis stance for the upcoming season, but am running into a minor glitch---I can't find a Strike 3 mechanic that's comfortable. May just be the new stance, but I thought I'd get the thoughts of those that use it---What mechanic do you use out of the GDS?
Don -

There are several that I think work well with GD.

One is more of a softball in my mind- a simple extension of your right hand, while in your stance, then standing, and hammering the out assuming the catcher holds on.

The other is a simple pull of the bow. Stand out of your stance and take your right foot straight back, extending both arms with closed fists in front. Pull your right arm straight back like you are shooting a cross bow. When you get your right fist to your shoulder, put your feet back to shoulder width, and hammer home the out, either up top or on your chest - however you want to do it.

Not to make this a hammer/no hammer thread
Old Wed Jan 31, 2007, 04:17pm
Official Forum Member

Don:

I think that "Tuss" actually nailed it.

I am slightly different . . .

When I worked the Davis Stance my first move was to flick my left hand out over the catchers head with an open hand. As I straightened up and stepped back with my right foot I then moved my right hand next to my left, with a closed fist, and then "started the chain saw" with a little quick right handed pull . . . not more than about 3".

So you see I picture my called third was VERY similar to "Tuss's".

One Rule ~One Interpretation ~ One Mechanic

Last edited by Tim C; Thu Feb 01, 2007 at 09:15am.
Old Wed Jan 31, 2007, 04:18pm

Don't hurt 'em, Hammer!

CAN'T TOUCH THIS!
Old Thu Feb 01, 2007, 12:33am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
I do it just like Tee, with no additional hammer.

There is a continual debate around my neck of the woods on what we should do for the regular strike call. I am a pointer, I stand straight up, take a quick jab step with my right foot at the same time I point and verbalize "strike".

I was told that in noisy or loud environments just using the hammer sometimes makes it difficult for the scorekeepers/score board operators to tell if a strike was called.

What does everyone else think?

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Thu Feb 01, 2007, 12:54am
Official Forum Member

I expierimented with something last fall - and didn't really like it. I pointed called strikes and hammered swinging strikes, opposite of McClelland.

I thought it would be really professional etc., but the reason I disliked it is because its hard to really give a good looking hammer, IMO. Its too softballish to give it really high, and too nonchalant to give it around the chest. I can be loud enough to not even do anything for strikes, but what's the point of that? I felt like I wasn't doing anything with my hammer other than pleasing myself.

So this spring I'm just going to point them all again... it was a silly expieriment on my part, somebody should have slapped me after my first game in hindsight.

Timmy Mc. is in the pros, so he can do what he wants - LOL!

P.S. - where is the spell check on this forum? I know I spelled experiment wrong for now a 3rd time, but it's late and I can't find the checker.
Old Thu Feb 01, 2007, 01:34am

Quote:
Originally Posted by TussAgee11
P.S. - where is the spell check on this forum? I know I spelled experiment wrong for now a 3rd time, but it's late and I can't find the checker.
This site has no spell check. Go here http://www.iespell.com/ and download this outstanding spell check program. It works just like the spell check in Word, and you can set up an icon for it right up on top by your Favorites, History, etc. on the browser.
Old Thu Feb 01, 2007, 03:35am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to nickrego
I found the GD, my current stance, uncomfortable with side facing mechanics. So I use...

Low hammer (more of an extension of the arm/fist to wards the pitcher) for strikes.

Forward Pull of the Bow for Strike 3.

No matter what your stance is, I think it is best to avoid sideways mechanics in general. We need to keep our eye on the ball. Unless you are working a 4 man crew, in a very high level of baseball, where the silly stuff just doesn't happen.

Nick
Old Thu Feb 01, 2007, 07:12am
Official Forum Member

I've been using the GDS for two seasons now. For the strike (swinging or called), I rise out of the stance and face F1 while I point down the 1st base line for RHB's. For LHB's, I just use a slight turn to point down to 3rd base. For the called strike three, I push my right arm out in front of me, palm & fingers open. As I rise, I extend the left arm out to meet the right, close the right fist and "pull the bow" back as I transfer my weight (all 255 lbs) back on my right leg.

It actually took my wife to get the step by step down on the strike three call. I never realized how involved a simple thing like that was. Well, after almost 30 years of "perfection".........
Old Thu Feb 01, 2007, 09:21am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
Nick, I point, but do not side face. Just a slight open step with the right foot and an aggressive point to the side. I do not change direction for a left handed batter.

I agree, side facing is flirting with disaster.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Thu Feb 01, 2007, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

I am no expert, but .....

I understand the concept of potential trouble of a sideways mechanic, but, knock on wood; I have never had a problem because of it. My strike, both called and swinging are sideways. I have seen officials have problems with sideways mechanics, but their problem wasn't the sideways part it was the timing part. When there is action in front of me, I stay square and do not turn as I point to the side, i.e. steal of second or third or double steal, possible batter's interference, or catcher's interference, I stay square. So I think if you were having problems turning, you might also be having problems with consistency of the strike zone cause by bad timing.

This topic seems to come up over and over again and many teach young officials that it is the kiss of death to turn, I think it would be better to tell them that the kiss come from bad timing, weather you are on the plate or bases, with action or no action, work on your timing.

How many of you actually have a problem when turning, or have seen a partner have a problem with it?

I know Jim now teaches not to turn and Richie Garcia now has all of Short Season guys using the hammer, but timing is at the root of these choices and not, because that is how they want it or think it should be done.
Old Thu Feb 01, 2007, 11:46am
Official Forum Member

Durham -

Yes, people have problems with timing, but they will have that regardless of whether they use hammer or point or face side and point.

The problem is that when you take your eyes off the field, you're playing with fire. Especially when your BU might be spacing out at the end of a DH or something, and coming out of his lock in with eyes and mind wandering. End of story.

Let's say you point to the side, and then all the sudden there is

a) A delayed steal of home
b) The catcher wants another ball
c) The pitcher wipes his hand to his mouth
d) A catch/no cath on a 3rd strike

But hey, at least when you face the side you can see what's REALLY important. (sarcasm detector reaching level 9 now)

a) The hot mom sitting in the first row.
b) Knitting grandma
c) That the coach is inside the dugout while sitting on his bucket.
d) Is that on-deck batter using a donut (for LLDan only)
e) Is that 1st/3rd base coach in the box? (depending on LHB or RHB)
f) That mom didn't use a pooper scooper on her dog and this is a public park!

etc. etc. etc.

Eyes on the field, except for maybe reason A, but just between innings cause that way I get to fully appreciate. Then you can think about

1) "Does she dig me for my mechanics?"
2) "I hope its not Skip's wife."
3) "Can she see my inner beauty, as in, my sweet West Vest Gold?"
4) "Let me wipe the sweat off my forehead to impress her."
Old Thu Feb 01, 2007, 12:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Durham -

Yes, people have problems with timing, but they will have that regardless of whether they use hammer or point or face side and point.

The problem is that when you take your eyes off the field, you're playing with fire. Especially when your BU might be spacing out at the end of a DH or something, and coming out of his lock in with eyes and mind wandering. End of story.

Let's say you point to the side, and then all the sudden there is

a) A delayed steal of home
b) The catcher wants another ball
c) The pitcher wipes his hand to his mouth
d) A catch/no cath on a 3rd strike

But hey, at least when you face the side you can see what's REALLY important. (sarcasm detector reaching level 9 now)

a) The hot mom sitting in the first row.
b) Knitting grandma

Eyes on the field, except for maybe reason A, but just between innings cause that way I get to fully appreciate. Then you can think about

1) "Does she dig me for my mechanics?"
2) "I hope its not Skip's wife."
3) "Can she see my inner beauty, as in, my sweet West Vest Gold?"
4) "Let me wipe the sweat off my forehead to impress her."
Do not discount B, some of those grandma's have Bow-Flex bodies and are HOTT. And I hope it is #2!

Now to your points.

A) I hope every R3 delay steals home while F2 is holding the baseball.
B) Never happened to me, but he can wait like we wait for him to get the damn signs from the pitching coach
C) Now this is a serious one, their is no penalty for this in NCAA unless he is on the rubber, but turn the TV on, and watch a few innings, almost ever pitcher goes to his mouth while inside the circle when he is getting the ball back from the pitcher, and how many balls have you seen awarded to the batter?
D) On strike 3 I go straight back, but even then timing is the key, punch out or dropped mechanic.
Old Thu Feb 01, 2007, 12:12pm

Quote:
d) Is that on-deck batter using a donut? (for LLDan only)
Actually the question for LLDan would be, "is there an on-deck batter, and why would you allow one in Little League?" (No on-deck batter allowed at LLDan's level)
Old Thu Feb 01, 2007, 05:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I just downloaded the new Firefox 2.0 and while it doesn't spell check, it tells you the words you mis spelled. That is good enough for me.
Closed Thread