The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 18, 2012, 06:45am
Official Forum Member

John Adams and Block Charge plays.

Referees thankfully go back to school to re-learn how to call block/charge plays - NCAA Basketball - Sporting News
Old Fri May 18, 2012, 08:22am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
That wasn’t the issue, though. The problem leading to incorrect calls is that calling a charge became a “default” position for too many referees when they observed contact between a moving offensive player and a less mobile defensive player — even if the defender was not in legal guarding position, even if the contact was not direct. (And sometimes, charges have been called when there was little contact but the defender made it appear he’d been forced to the floor.)
I've been saying this for years.

The first 15 years I worked basketball, there were too many blocks being called and the message got out that we were punishing good defense. Then it swung way too much in the opposite direction -- charges became the default call even when the elements of drawing a charge weren't all there. Anything close got shipped the other way.
Old Fri May 18, 2012, 08:27am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GROUPthink View Post
I've been saying this for years.

The first 15 years I worked basketball, there were too many blocks being called and the message got out that we were punishing good defense. Then it swung way too much in the opposite direction -- charges became the default call even when the elements of drawing a charge weren't all there. Anything close got shipped the other way.

GROUPthink:

I am a dinosaur in the world of basketball officiating but one of my personal friends was the late Ed Ferrigno of Conneticut who was the Rules Interpreter for Connecticut and was considered the one of the foremost expert on Guarding and Screening. And I can assure you that we still do NOT call enough Charges.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Fri May 18, 2012, 08:29am
Administrator

Jay Bilas was quoted in the article. He is a good X and O's man but not know the rules. Enough said.

MTD, Sr.
Toledo, Ohio
Old Fri May 18, 2012, 08:43am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
GROUPthink:

I am a dinosaur in the world of basketball officiating but one of my personal friends was the late Ed Ferrigno of Conneticut who was the Rules Interpreter for Connecticut and was considered the one of the foremost expert on Guarding and Screening. And I can assure you that we still do NOT call enough Charges.

MTD, Sr.
I try to watch as much film as possible and there are a lot of called charges, even at the HS level, that simply aren't. I think many officials aren't refereeing the defense well enough and aren't looking for (1) establishing and (2) maintaining LGP. If it's in the torso and the defender goes down, it's shipped. And that's not always right.

I'm not a dinosaur, but 25 years of working at the HS/college levels doesn't make me a spring chicken, either. No namedropping from me, though.
Old Fri May 18, 2012, 09:44am
Whack! Get Out!!!

Michigan State coach Tom Izzo told Sporting News during the season he was so weary of seeing charges called he no longer taught the play to his Spartans.

You might be surprised to learn the NCAA men’s basketball rules committee also is on your side. They agree: There are too many charges being called.

This is one of the interesting aspects of the rules committee ... it's made up entirely of coaches, so basically they try to change the rules to suit their coaching styles.
Old Fri May 18, 2012, 10:11am
Official & Member

Good topic in the article...but starting it with a reference to Jay Bilas and the rules is not going to give the article any credibility.
Old Fri May 18, 2012, 05:09pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.: Please Quit (Officiating, Not Smoking) ...

Quote:
I am a dinosaur in the world of basketball officiating.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri May 18, 2012 at 06:02pm.
Old Fri May 18, 2012, 05:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Zebra View Post
Good topic in the article...but starting it with a reference to Jay Bilas and the rules is not going to give the article any credibility.
While Jay Bilas was credited as leading the charge to some degree, the person that is agreeing with him is John Adams. He apparently has the statistics to back it up. So for every college official that means we are going to have to attend the training and call plays according to the principles that they establish if we want to work the Tournament. That information will be passed down through the ranks and will reach the HS level in varying degrees.

It sounds like there is agreement from within all the interested parties, coaches, John Adams and the man with the biggest platform from which to preach Jay Bilas/ESPN.

Like it our not, there will be a change. The way I see it, you can be part of the problem, or you can help others work on the best solution for the game.
Old Fri May 18, 2012, 05:47pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7IronRef View Post
While Jay Bilas was credited as leading the charge to some degree, the person that is agreeing with him is John Adams. He apparently has the statistics to back it up. So for every college official that means we are going to have to attend the training and call plays according to the principles that they establish if we want to work the Tournament. That information will be passed down through the ranks and will reach the HS level in varying degrees.

It sounds like there is agreement from within all the interested parties, coaches, John Adams and the man with the biggest platform from which to preach Jay Bilas/ESPN.

Like it our not, there will be a change. The way I see it, you can be part of the problem, or you can help others work on the best solution for the game.
I did not read anything in the article that suggested that Adams agreed with Jay Bilas or any of his takes on this situation. I read that he discussed the percentage of what calls were correct or not. Bilas just made a generic comment that had no rules basis or description and that does not mean Adams agrees with him. I would like to hear more from Adams before I would draw that conclusion. After all Adams does post or comment on things the media says and this was never something he openly discussed or made reference to on the NCAA site.

Peace
Old Fri May 18, 2012, 07:05pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
For the NCAAM officials: has anything been posted by Adams on Arbiter about this?
Nope. But the NCAA Arbiter Site did post some articles about new rules. This article was not referenced or anything about this subject. This is why this current ESPN article and the connection to what Bilas said was silly.

Peace
Old Sat May 19, 2012, 10:05am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post

Billy:

I love it!

MTD, Sr.
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sat May 19, 2012, 10:13am
This IS My Social Life

Default to "Block"

Quote:
Originally Posted by GROUPthink View Post
. . . The first 15 years I worked basketball, there were too many blocks being called and the message got out that we were punishing good defense. Then it swung way too much in the opposite direction -- charges became the default call even when the elements of drawing a charge weren't all there. Anything close got shipped the other way.
From the responses thus far this seems to be a regional thing. Around here in the land across the lake from Rut the default call, almost universally -- and especially for less experienced officials -- is to "block." Ball watching catches especially the endline official by surprise when contact occurs, and because s/he hadn't assessed the legal or illegal status of the defender, the charge hardly ever gets called. More experienced officials have this pretty much down to a science, with little if any argument from coaches over the accurate calls.
More and more instruction in rules meetings is having a measurable effect on the less experienced officials as they're starting to get the point through diligent off-ball surveillance as Lead.
Old Mon May 21, 2012, 06:06pm
Official Forum Member

Glad to see this - one theme I saw emerging in last year's tournament was the high number of B/C situations where I thought defenders were drawing charges without LGP.
Old Wed May 23, 2012, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
GROUPthink:

... And I can assure you that we still do NOT call enough Charges.

MTD, Sr.
MTD, Sr. is ABSOLUTELY CORRECT....we do NOT call enough charges. The lower the level, the worse the problem.