View Single Post
Old Tue May 15, 2012, 03:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
This assumes a few things that can't be assumed.
1. That all supporters of the shot clock reside in states that use the shot clocks.
As Camron pointed out, little deviations (like uniform waivers or extended coaching boxes) probably won't do it, but using the shot clock, complete disregard for NFHS mechanics manuals, or altering the number of TFs required for DQ, probably would.

It's not unreasonable to require a minimal level of compliance to maintain full membership rights.
Your points are well-taken, but consider the following:

First, I think that people on the rules committee from a state that uses a shot clock probably personally endorse the shot clock. Otherwise the state association probably would not have selected them to represent the state's interests in the rules process.

Second, Does adopting the shot clock really rise to the level of disregard for NFHS rules? I can see sanctioning jurisdictions that want different playing rules for things such as eligibility, fouls and violations. But I see a shot clock is a different animal; the fundamental rules are not changed by a state deciding you have to hit the rim within 30 or 35 seconds.

Third, while realizing that adopting a shot clock may be a financial issue in some states, does not playing to a shot clock i high school put players at a disadvantage when it comes time for college?

It makes no sense to me that the NFHS does not allow a shot clock by state adoption. A shot clock does not alter fundamental rules of basketball.