The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 23, 2012, 10:19am
Official Forum Member

Wow!!!

We all have mentors in our lives that we can reach out to on a regular basis. When, I first started posting here. JR and Chuck Elias gave it to me. I said that to say this... I viewed JR as my online MENTOR. I really took a liking to him. When he stated something I knew I could find it and read about it in the rules or casebook. Although, I'm sadden by the news. I can smile knowing that he shared his knowledge with such LOVE!! in the only way he know how.

Last edited by truerookie; Mon Apr 23, 2012 at 10:21am.
Old Mon Apr 23, 2012, 10:41am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Ever since I joined the board, I have been fortunate to have people who cared enough about the rules to correct me whenever I made a mistake. Some were more tactful than others, others were more forceful. Woody would use whatever method he thought would work; and that often included expressing his frustration with me for being a dope. Whether he knew it or not, that's how I learn best; by being challenged and taken to the woodshed.

My officiating is better for his involvement. My first thought when I saw this thread was, "Lah me."

Woody, your race is over, you've finished. We're all better people and officials because of the way you ran. Rest in peace, my friend.
Old Mon Apr 23, 2012, 11:04am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Ever since I joined the board, I have been fortunate to have people who cared enough about the rules to correct me whenever I made a mistake. Some were more tactful than others, others were more forceful. Woody would use whatever method he thought would work; and that often included expressing his frustration with me for being a dope. Whether he knew it or not, that's how I learn best; by being challenged and taken to the woodshed.

My officiating is better for his involvement. My first thought when I saw this thread was, "Lah me."

Woody, your race is over, you've finished. We're all better people and officials because of the way you ran. Rest in peace, my friend.
Adam, you've summed up my feelings well. As I sit here, I realize what a profound impact that people we've never met can have on our lives. It was true with mick and also with JR. I have a feeling the not as kindlier, gentler JR would give me crap for shedding tears over him.

As I wiped those tears away though, I had to laugh when I realized something I hadn't known before...the fact that JR was Canadian. I don't think I saw one thing in his posts to ever make me think that so it surprised me in a way.

Godspeed, Woody.
Old Mon Apr 23, 2012, 02:47pm
Official Forum Member

RIP Jurassic. Your wisdom will be missed by many.
Old Mon Apr 23, 2012, 04:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
As I wiped those tears away though, I had to laugh when I realized something I hadn't known before...the fact that JR was Canadian. I don't think I saw one thing in his posts to ever make me think that so it surprised me in a way.

Godspeed, Woody.
Yep! It's a shame I didn't find out he was a FEEBLE ref until his old a$$ died. I'd be giving him hell!

Losing too many good guys these day.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Apr 23, 2012, 05:06pm
Official Forum Member

Like many of you, I knew JR only through this forum. I learned a great deal from him, the big pain in the azz. I will miss him.
Old Mon Apr 23, 2012, 05:07pm
Esteemed Forum Member

With A Maple Leaf ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
I had to laugh when I realized something I hadn't known before, the fact that JR was Canadian. I don't think I saw one thing in his posts to ever make me think that so it surprised me in a way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
Yep! It's a shame I didn't find out he was a FEEBLE ref until his old a$$ died.
Same here. You could have knocked me over with a maple leaf. I've always grouped all Canadians together as being very polite, soft spoken, well mannered people. Man, was I ever wrong.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Apr 23, 2012, 05:40pm
Huck Finn

This is some unfortunate news. RIP Jurassic. Things like this make me forget basketball and think only about life. My prayers go out to his family. I know all too well about how his family feels right now.
Old Mon Apr 23, 2012, 07:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
My first thought when I saw this thread was, "Lah me."
Mine too. My second thought was that we can discuss the NBA in (relative) peace.
Old Mon Apr 23, 2012, 09:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
he made me get my nose in the rule book
Excellent observation. Even if we didn't agree, I'm sure I learned something from every interaction. That's a legacy that transcends agreement.
Old Fri Apr 27, 2012, 01:00pm

Unhappy

RIP Jurassic! I never met you but I enjoyed trading barbs with you here in cyberland. I also learned from you. May he rest in peace.
Old Fri Apr 27, 2012, 05:06pm
Official Fiveum Member

Although I haven't been on the board that long, I really came to admire JR's posts. It's a sad, sad thing that he won't be around any longer, although he will always live through his posts. RIP fella.
Old Fri Apr 27, 2012, 07:00pm
Official & Member

Anybody know if his obit was in the local paper? Juggling? Any chance of posting a link?
Old Fri Apr 27, 2012, 08:08pm
Official Forum Member

It is a testament to his character and reverence we all had for Jurassic and his knowledge that we all can write with tears in our eyes about a man most of us never met.

Bringing to remembrance some of his posts I am left to muse...if I ever get a chance to go ref in Italy, to whom do I go to learn how to call baschettiball.
Old Fri Apr 27, 2012, 09:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Zebra View Post
Anybody know if his obit was in the local paper? Juggling? Any chance of posting a link?
Here ya go.

Brantford Loses a Basketball Great

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith