The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 06, 2008, 08:29pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Jurassic Referee ???

Has anybody else but me noticed that Jurassic Referee hasn't posted in a while. According to his user page, he hasn't posted since September 27, and his last Forum activity was on October 2.

I hope that he's on a beach somewhere on an island in the Caribbean, drinking an adult beverage, nowhere near a computer.

I'm sure that some Forum member must know who he really is? Can someone contact him to make sure that he's alright?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Oct 06, 2008, 10:46pm
certified Hot Mom tester

I heard he was sighted at a 7-11 in Montana with Elvis.
Old Tue Oct 07, 2008, 10:38am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Has anybody else but me noticed that Jurassic Referee hasn't posted in a while. According to his user page, he hasn't posted since September 27, and his last Forum activity was on October 2.

I hope that he's on a beach somewhere on an island in the Caribbean, drinking an adult beverage, nowhere near a computer.

I'm sure that some Forum member must know who he really is? Can someone contact him to make sure that he's alright?
Ummm...thats why its so peaceful around here!!!!! LOL......
Old Tue Oct 07, 2008, 11:06am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

He's barbequing his dog or sumpthin'.
Old Tue Oct 07, 2008, 08:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post
He's barbequing his dog or sumpthin'.

JR.........if you're out there, say howdy.
Old Thu Oct 09, 2008, 11:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
JR.........if you're out there, say howdy.
Bump
Old Sun Oct 12, 2008, 12:46pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
Bump
I don't think you need to bother bumping this. My guess is that Jurassic feels the forum has lost most of the "fun" feeling that a lot of people enjoyed. With rockyroad, Dan_ref, Larks, rainmaker and some others either completely gone or very sporadic contributors, and Bktballref's complaints to the moderators, the atmosphere of a bunch of guys/gals hanging out and having fun while talking basketball has pretty much vanished from this site. Jurassic, and probably the others I've mentioned, has plenty of people that he can go to and just ask about a rule, so he doesn't really need this site for that purpose.

I certainly don't want to start another thread like the "Moderators" thread; I've already made my feelings clear on that issue. It seems like people are happy to have this site become a clone of the NFHS site. That's fine. But I never visit the NFHS site.
Old Sun Oct 12, 2008, 02:51pm
Esteemed Forum Member

I'm Really Worried, Seriously ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
My guess is that Jurassic feels the forum has lost most of the "fun" feeling that a lot of people enjoyed. With rockyroad, Dan_ref, Larks, rainmaker and some others either completely gone or very sporadic contributors, and Bktballref's complaints to the moderators, the atmosphere of a bunch of guys/gals hanging out and having fun while talking basketball has pretty much vanished from this site. Jurassic, and probably the others I've mentioned, has plenty of people that he can go to and just ask about a rule, so he doesn't really need this site for that purpose.
I only hope that this is true, but I doubt it. I've been reading Jurassic Referee's posts for several years, even before I became a member of the Forum, and I am certain that he wouldn't simply leave the Forum without any parting words.

Also, there is a poster on the NFHS forum, who I believe to be Jurassic Referee, posting under a different username, who has also vanished from the NFHS forum.

I am seriously worried about Jurassic Referee. Many members of this Forum have become almost like a family, maybe a dysfunctional family, but a family, to me, or if not that, certainly like my referee colleagues that I actually physically work with, and have fun with, all winter long.

We don't actually see each other, or even know all of our real names, but many of us, I hope, care for each other, like when SWVAREF's daughter got sick, and passed away a few years ago, or when one of us moves up a level, and we all congratulate him, or her.

I'm worried about Jurassic Referee. He's like the crazy uncle in our family.

This thread has been viewed 450 times. There must be a Forum member who knows who Jurassic Referee really is, and can contact him. Please contact him to see if he's alright.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Oct 12, 2008 at 03:44pm.
Old Sun Oct 12, 2008, 03:00pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
There must be a Forum member who knows who Jurassic Referee really is, and can contact him. Please contact him to see if he's alright.
Billy, I logged on to bemoan my Red Sox blowing a late lead last night and saw your post. I got email from JR just today. I won't speak for him about why he's not posting -- he can do that himself if he feels so inclined -- but he's fine and ornery as ever. I will pass on your concern to him, however.
Old Sun Oct 12, 2008, 03:25pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Hey, They're My Red Sox Too, Since 1967, You Have To Share Them ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckElias View Post
Billy, I logged on to bemoan my Red Sox blowing a late lead last night and saw your post. I got email from JR just today. I won't speak for him about why he's not posting, he can do that himself if he feels so inclined, but he's fine and ornery as ever. I will pass on your concern to him, however.
ChuckElias: Thanks. I feel a lot better now. I hope he comes back. If he chooses not to, he will be missed. He always had a lot to offer this Forum, especially for rookie officials. And he's mellowed over the past several months, since Old School left, more of his usual rational thinking, based on his experience, and expertise, and less name calling. I'll bet that his answers, comments, interpretations, and opinions were correct 99% of the time.

The old commercial used to say, "When Merrill Lynch speaks, people listen". Well, in the case of this Forum, "When Jurassic Referee speaks, officials should listen, and listen closely".

Old Sun Oct 12, 2008, 03:38pm
In Memoriam

Billy, I thank you for your concern and your kind words. The crazy ol' uncle is just fine. Chuck alerted me to this thread....so I thought I'd log in and respond one last time.

Scrappy's post above is accurate. And yes, I was "Woody" on the NFHS site also.

Good luck to everybody....never say never, but... Hasta la Vagina....or sumthin' like that.

PS: Just for old time's sake:
Old Sun Oct 12, 2008, 04:33pm
Official Forum Member

Sorry Chuck but I don't for one second regret the thread I posted. I can only speak my convictions. I can't be worried about others. I guess some folks are mad at me and that's unfortunate. If one thread forfeits years of online friendship, that's truly sad.

The truth is rainmaker and Dan_ref had pretty much stopped posting here quite some time ago. Larks and rockyroad have been infrequent posters of their own choosing long before I made the fun go away.JRut addressed that several weeks ago

IMHO the forum is much better today than it was 3 weeks ago. That's not because anyone has come or gone but because posters are posting about basketball in the basketball threads and having their "community fun" in the off topic threads. That's all I asked for. Someone must have agreed with me because I haven't seen any more moderation in the past three weeks than I did in the last three years. I even emailed the site administrator and got no response at all.

If Woody has chosen to leave, that's unfortunate. I believe that I was the first poster here to ever have any communication with him outside the forum. While we don't agree on every single issue, it was seldom when we did disagree. I enjoyed the discussions with him and always respected what he had to say, even when we disagreed.

Finally, it's interesting that Scrapper says that he never visits the NFHS site, yet he emailed me on three seperate occassions because he was having diffculty registering as a user there. Oh well...such is life.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Oct 12, 2008, 06:11pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Finally, it's interesting that Scrapper says that he never visits the NFHS site, yet he emailed me on three seperate occassions because he was having diffculty registering as a user there. Oh well...such is life.
What is life? I don't know why this is interesting. I sure did email you, and you helped me figure out why I was having trouble. After fixing the problem, exactly how many posts have I made there? None. I lurked there for a few weeks and decided not to bother posting there. It's as interesting as watching paint dry. IOW, about as interesting as the fact that I asked you to help me resolve my difficulties in registering over there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
IMHO the forum is much better today than it was 3 weeks ago. . . Someone must have agreed with me because I haven't seen any more moderation in the past three weeks than I did in the last three years. I even emailed the site administrator and got no response at all.
This is where we differ. I think this forum is better in exactly two areas, which I don't think were affected by your "Moderators" thread. (The "problems" had been addressed before that thread.) I think it is much the worse overall. It feels like people have been cowed into being straight-laced.

I'm not trying to "win" anything here, just stating the facts as I see them. I will not be happy if this site becomes a NFHS style ghosttown. But frankly, the way things are now, and to be honest, after some of your own comments recently that seem more confrontational than helpful, I don't really feel that I like it here anymore.

I'm going to drop the whole thing now. I don't want to drive anyone else away or to get into an unpleasant exchange. As I said, that's just the way it is from my perspective.
Old Sun Oct 12, 2008, 06:49pm
Official Forum Member

"Oh well...such is life. " was meant to address the entire situation.

I would certainly like to see where "The "problems" had been addressed before that thread." Everything that I read was that there wasn't a problem and that things would repair themselves in once the season started.

After starting 3 basketball threads in a two week period, only to have all 3 hijacked, I started the Moderator thread. In that thread, all I asked for was to not hijack the basketball threads. I never opposed the off topic threads. I still don't understand why that request created such turmoil or why it's been distorted into a request that all OT topics be eliminated. It was never about that.

I'm not sure why my comments are confrontational while others are considered helpful or why I'm to blame for all these folks leaving. Chuck, I assure you I won't be confrontational again and I won't be the reason anyone else leaves.

I am done.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Oct 12, 2008, 07:39pm
Official Forum Member

After Running my own messageboard site (not officiating related) for about 6 years, I've found that you just cant help hijacks. It happens. For a time it bugged me but then I realized, the site has evolved to it's own little world, much like this site. Why fight it?

I'll be around, I just don't ask as much as I used to (experience kicking in?). Im usually too late to answer. And since the hijacking is at an all time low....I got nothin!

My advice - dont take things too serious guys.

Oh, and since I cant find the old fat guy in a tutu pic......

"for JR"

Closed Thread