The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Jurassic Referee (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/90715-jurassic-referee.html)

JugglingReferee Sat Apr 21, 2012 07:25pm

Jurassic Referee

It is with tears and a very heavy heart for me to announce the passing of Jurassic Referee.

JR died at 4:30am this morning with family at his side.

JR was a personal friend of mine - he was my first mentor. He was also the first mentor of other officials that came up through the ranks. His dedication was obvious to our officiating community. He was working for our local group right up until earlier this week.

Like a good teacher, he encouraged students to reach levels beyond what others (himself included) had earned. Numerous officials trained by JR have been successful at all levels: including college, university, local and provincial championships (and soon nationally), and provincial camps, including officials that have ranked #1 provincially. His support for officials was unmatched.

He, along with friends, have been recognized by our provincial board, for their leadership and commitment. He was in great company. There is a small group of men that trace their local basketball roots for over 55 years. JR was one of them, and set the standard in so many ways.

Basketball is only half the story; football is the other half.

We have lost a dear friend today. Woody, may you rest in peace and know the mercy of the Lord.

26 Year Gap Sat Apr 21, 2012 07:34pm

He will be greatly missed. I was able to discuss with him a situation in my officiating life whereby he offered a great perspective which helped me to not second-guess myself and to look forward.

BktBallRef Sat Apr 21, 2012 07:42pm

Very sad to hear. I'll have to take some time before I can say more.

Dan_ref Sat Apr 21, 2012 08:14pm

Damn. Still one Woody left limping along, Woody :tear:

M&M Guy Sat Apr 21, 2012 08:42pm

I don't care how old he was, it was still way too early for him to leave.

Woody, you will be missed by probably many more people than you realize.

Texas Aggie Sat Apr 21, 2012 09:10pm

Sorry to hear that. Prayers for his family and friends.

JRutledge Sat Apr 21, 2012 09:13pm

I was absolutely terrified this is what I was going to read. We have lost another great person to this forum and to forums like this for sure. I certainly learned a lot from the man even when I did not agree with him.

My prayers go out to his friends and family.

Peace

BLydic Sat Apr 21, 2012 09:32pm

rip jr

bainsey Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:41pm

We hardly knew you, Woody. Thanks for your contributions, and best wishes to your loved ones.

Rich Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:03pm

I'm very sad to read this. Please post (or PM) an obituary when you can. I didn't know Woody personally, just from this site, but his voice is one I had hoped would come back again someday.

Condolences to his family and friends.

Back In The Saddle Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:32am

That is very sad news indeed. Even though I never actually met him, I learned a lot from him. And even though times where we butted heads, I always respected him for his knowledge, his commitment, and his willingness to speak his mind. Thank you, Woody.

Adam Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:55am

Quote:

Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap (Post 838296)
He will be greatly missed. I was able to discuss with him a situation in my officiating life whereby he offered a great perspective which helped me to not second-guess myself and to look forward.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef (Post 838299)
Very sad to hear. I'll have to take some time before I can say more.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan_ref (Post 838301)
Damn. Still one Woody left limping along, Woody :tear:

Quote:

Originally Posted by M&M Guy (Post 838304)
I don't care how old he was, it was still way too early for him to leave.

Woody, you will be missed by probably many more people than you realize.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 838308)
I was absolutely terrified this is what I was going to read. We have lost another great person to this forum and to forums like this for sure. I certainly learned a lot from the man even when I did not agree with him.

My prayers go out to his friends and family.

Peace

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN (Post 838316)
I'm very sad to read this. Please post (or PM) an obituary when you can. I didn't know Woody personally, just from this site, but his voice is one I had hoped would come back again someday.

Condolences to his family and friends.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle (Post 838329)
That is very sad news indeed. Even though I never actually met him, I learned a lot from him. And even though times where we butted heads, I always respected him for his knowledge, his commitment, and his willingness to speak his mind. Thank you, Woody.

All I can say for now is, +1 to all of the above.

ChuckElias Sun Apr 22, 2012 06:50am

I'd been in contact with him through his illness. In typical Woody-fashion, he never told me what he was battling. Over the last couple weeks, I was trying to get in touch and didn't get any replies. So, sadly, this news is not a surprise.

But it is deeply saddening to me. His contributions here were tremendous. His knowledge of the game had few peers. Catching him in a rules error was a rare accomplishment. Our Yankees/Red Sox skirmishes were a source of great fun. Additionally, he was helpful to me personally in my officiating career.

I have been missing him over the last few weeks and now I miss him even more. I mean, who's going to mail unbelievably tasteless, inappropriate wife-jokes to me? Rest in peace, buddy.

grunewar Sun Apr 22, 2012 07:28am

Like many, I only new JR from afar. He taught me a lot over the years.

Best wishes to his family, friends, and loved ones. RIP.

tref Sun Apr 22, 2012 09:23am

Can't say that I knew the man personally, but he slapped me around so much on the Forum that he made me get my nose in the rule book. JR definitely helped me become a better official. RIP Jurassic Referee!