The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Wed Jan 24, 2007, 07:07pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Midwest
Posts: 70
Jurassic Referee

I need to know the background of this common quote....

"Only in the ....wait for it.....SEC"

I see you use it, but I wasn't around when this inside joke started. Please give me a little insight!!!
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Wed Jan 24, 2007, 07:16pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: In the offseason.
Posts: 12,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntin' Ref
I need to know the background of this common quote....

"Only in the ....wait for it.....SEC"

I see you use it, but I wasn't around when this inside joke started. Please give me a little insight!!!
IIRC, it started like this....

There was pretender on here a while back that claimed to be on the SEC staff. In everything he stated seemed to reference the SEC, as if they were the gods of basketball. He say something about the SEC in every post to support his point, even if it wasn't true. In the end, it was determined that this person may have went to some camp with the SEC and he was on some sort of mailing list...never worked a game for any sort of SEC team...even in the summer. He faded away....but Jurrassic's contempt for the SEC remains.




Edit:
In fact, we alway have a few pretenders floating around. Some are just more obnoxious than others. There will alway be those who deliberately give just enough information about their games to give one impression when the full details would reveal something else altogether.
__________________
Owner/Developer of RefTown.com
Commissioner, Portland Basketball Officials Association

Last edited by Camron Rust; Wed Jan 24, 2007 at 07:27pm.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Wed Jan 24, 2007, 07:33pm
In Memoriam
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Hell
Posts: 20,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust
IIRC, it started like this....

There was pretender on here a while back that claimed to be on the SEC staff. In everything he stated seemed to reference the SEC, as if they were the gods of basketball. He say something about the SEC in every post to support his point, even if it wasn't true. In the end, it was determined that this person may have went to some camp with the SEC and he was on some sort of mailing list...never worked a game for any sort of SEC team...even in the summer. He faded away....but Jurrassic's contempt for the SEC remains.
Not completely true. I really don't have any contempt for the SEC. I just found it kinda hilarious that it turned out that we were being lectured by a 19-year old college student who had gone to a camp, had a few middle school games under his belt, and had never officiated at the high school level, Frosh, JV or otherwise. He kept insisting that the SEC was the be-all and the end-all though.

Here's where it started:
Look at the feet

Look for a post by refTN at 8:05pm.

From there, it kinda just evolved into a running joke amongst a whole bunch of us.

And, having said that, I hope that refTN is still officiating, is learning with experience, and that someday I might be watching him do an SEC game on tv.

When I was 19, I thought I knew everything too. It's kinda amazing that I've seemed to get stoopider every year since then.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Wed Jan 24, 2007, 07:51pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 14,930
Add to that the fact that the SEC has been responsible for some of the worst screwups recently in NCAA basketball and that completes the argument that the SEC is not superior sort that refTN claimed.

Examples of the SEC screwups:
Brian Enterline's "do-over" in an SEC women's game.
The 3 vs. 2 pt shot video review in the Alabama game.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Wed Jan 24, 2007, 08:15pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Just north of hell
Posts: 9,250
Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Not completely true. I really don't have any contempt for the SEC. I just found it kinda hilarious that it turned out that we were being lectured by a 19-year old college student who had gone to a camp, had a few middle school games under his belt, and had never officiated at the high school level, Frosh, JV or otherwise. He kept insisting that the SEC was the be-all and the end-all though.

Here's where it started:
Look at the feet

Look for a post by refTN at 8:05pm.

From there, it kinda just evolved into a running joke amongst a whole bunch of us.

And, having said that, I hope that refTN is still officiating, is learning with experience, and that someday I might be watching him do an SEC game on tv.

When I was 19, I thought I knew everything too. It's kinda amazing that I've seemed to get stoopider every year since then.
Who's...wait for it...Chuck Elias?
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Wed Jan 24, 2007, 08:31pm
In Memoriam
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Hell
Posts: 20,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust




Edit:
In fact, we alway have a few pretenders floating around. Some are just more obnoxious than others. There will alway be those who deliberately give just enough information about their games to give one impression when the full details would reveal something else altogether.
And this is the thread where refTN finally got outed:

Things from camp

You're up to date now, Huntin' Ref.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Wed Jan 24, 2007, 08:37pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Just north of hell
Posts: 9,250
Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
Add to that the fact that the SEC has been responsible for some of the worst screwups recently in NCAA basketball and that completes the argument that the SEC is not superior sort that refTN claimed.

Examples of the SEC screwups:
Brian Enterline's "do-over" in an SEC women's game.
The 3 vs. 2 pt shot video review in the Alabama game.
:wtf:

You do realize that officials that work the SEC often work ...wait for it...other leagues as well, don't you.

Are you claiming that all officials are guilty of some of the worst screw-ups in recent history? Or are you saying there's something about the SEC that causes officials who normally do not screw up to suddenly become near-human?

Or exactly wtf are you saying?
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Wed Jan 24, 2007, 08:45pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Just north of hell
Posts: 9,250
Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
And this is the thread where refTN finally got outed:

Things from camp

You're up to date now, Huntin' Ref.
That clears it up for me, except for one minor annoying question

who is...wait for it...Chuck Elias??
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old Wed Jan 24, 2007, 08:48pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 14,930
I'm saying that the screwups happened in SEC games by officials on the SEC staff. That's all.

Yes, I know that NCAA officials often work for multiple conferences. They also work for different supervisors, who sometimes give them different instructions/philosophies on how to call the game in a particular conference.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old Wed Jan 24, 2007, 08:51pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Just north of hell
Posts: 9,250
Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
I'm saying that the screwups happened in SEC games by officials on the SEC staff. That's all.

Yes, I know that NCAA officials often work for multiple conferences. They also work for different supervisors, who sometimes give them different instructions/philosophies on how to call the game in a particular conference.
So you're actually saying the SEC trains their officials to screw up.

Interesting. Why would they do this?
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old Wed Jan 24, 2007, 08:55pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 14,930
Obviously, no conference would desire that their officials screwup. Some may spend more time with training instruction than others though. Some may emphasize management skills, some youth, some looks, mechanics, and physique.
My point is that the SEC officials are no better than those who work for any other conference. Their recent glaring mistakes make it impossible to state that they are.
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old Wed Jan 24, 2007, 08:55pm
In Memoriam
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Hell
Posts: 20,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
That clears it up for me, except for one minor annoying question

who is...wait for it...Chuck Elias??
Sigh....how soon they forget....



This was the only way that he could get high.
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old Wed Jan 24, 2007, 09:12pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 14,614
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
Add to that the fact that the SEC has been responsible for some of the worst screwups recently in NCAA basketball and that completes the argument that the SEC is not superior sort that refTN claimed.
Their football officials are have a far worse reputation among fellow officials than the basketball side ever dreamed of.
__________________
"...as cool as the other side of the pillow." - Stuart Scott

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old Wed Jan 24, 2007, 09:22pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Just north of hell
Posts: 9,250
Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
Obviously, no conference would desire that their officials screwup. Some may spend more time with training instruction than others though. Some may emphasize management skills, some youth, some looks, mechanics, and physique.
My point is that the SEC officials are no better than those who work for any other conference. Their recent glaring mistakes make it impossible to state that they are.
OK, so this is what I take away based on out dialogue:

we agree that officials that work SEC also work other conferences

you claim the SEC is responsible for some of the worst screw-ups recently (*your words*).

youstate that some conferences emphasise looks while others are concerned with training (*your words*).

I can only infer that you believe the SEC concerns themselves with looks at the expense of training which leads to their recent screw-ups.

Am I wrong? If so what do you wish to retract?
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old Wed Jan 24, 2007, 09:28pm
certified Hot Mom tester
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: only in my own mind, such as it is
Posts: 12,918
I happen to know that the guy IS working in the SEC - South East Croatia - league.
__________________
Yom HaShoah
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bob M. in Referee waltjp Football 4 Thu Dec 21, 2006 04:36pm
What Would Jurassic Do? rainmaker Basketball 13 Thu Jun 23, 2005 10:18am
Jurassic milestone Daryl H. Long Basketball 10 Sat Feb 26, 2005 10:39pm
run the endline (rockyroad/Jurassic/MTD etc.) zebraman Basketball 14 Fri Dec 24, 2004 11:21am
"Ask The Referee" A Pennsylvania Coach Basketball 24 Fri Mar 26, 2004 09:21pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:59pm.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1