The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Apr 13, 2012, 12:55pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by IUgrad92 View Post
What other league or level of basketball would allow this type of play to happen? My contention would be that it is more likely to see this type of play allowed night in and night out in the NBA and not so much in the NCAA.

Are the rules in the NBA, as such, so that it's that difficult to recognize the pivot foot?

Corey Maggette travels six times in 1 play - YouTube
Well, we know that Austin Rivers is allowed to travel and I think all past videos of egregious travels in NCAA games involved either Duke players or Tyler Hansbrough so me thinks it might be more of a Tar Heel/Blue Devil travel exception that applies to basketball universally.
Old Fri Apr 13, 2012, 12:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
What other league or level of basketball would allow this type of play to happen? My contention would be that it is more likely to see this type of play allowed night in and night out in the NBA and not so much in the NCAA.

Are the rules in the NBA, as such, so that it's that difficult to recognize the pivot foot?

IDK whats funniest, the 6 travels or complaining about the foul.
Old Fri Apr 13, 2012, 01:01pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Well, we know that Austin Rivers is allowed to travel and I think all past videos of egregious travels in NCAA games involved either Duke players or Tyler Hansbrough so me thinks it might be more of a Tar Heel/Blue Devil travel exception that applies to basketball universally.
LOL!!!

Well I think because of the universal hatred for those very successful programs we tend to see people point out videos of those programs. But I can show a few videos of obvious travels not called at other programs and players that we do not know as well.

Peace
Old Fri Apr 13, 2012, 01:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
We don't at all. That is the part I do not understand either. We have certainly in the past month have shown a lot of questionable decisions by NCAA officials and no one said they did so based on entertainment. I guess it always bothers me when that is said because no one says NFL or MLB are doing things for entertainment when they have similar differences in philosophies based on the fact that they are pros and not amateur game.

Peace
The NBA has explicitly modified rules with the purpose of increasing scoring...targeting their viewing audiences wishes. I don't think the NFL has necessarily done so to the same degree. (I don't watch baseball so I can't comment there). Some of the NFL football rules actually are counter to increased scoring (e.g., 2 feet down vs 1 foot down on a sideline reception...making it more difficult to advance the ball).

The indictment is more about the NBA as a league and not the officials. I have no doubt that the officials are doing a great job calling the game as they're hired to do. The league just has a different goal in how they want the game called...and the officials do the job they're hired to do.
Old Fri Apr 13, 2012, 01:10pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:

What about the missed holding foul as Maggette is catching the ball or the handcheck that causes one of Maggette's travels?
Old Fri Apr 13, 2012, 01:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
The NBA has explicitly modified rules with the purpose of increasing scoring...targeting their viewing audiences wishes. I don't think the NFL has necessarily done so to the same degree. (I don't watch baseball so I can't comment there). Some of the NFL football rules actually are counter to increased scoring (e.g., 2 feet down vs 1 foot down on a sideline reception).

The indictment is more about the NBA as a league and not the officials. I have no doubt that the officials are doing a great job calling the game as they're hired to do. The league just have a different goal in how they want the game called...and the officials do the job they're hired to do.
And the NFL hasn't?

Just about every rule in the passing game has to do with increasing passing and making it easier to pass. Hence the reason you can chuck a receiver at 3 yards...but at 5.5 yards, it's a penalty...hence the reason pass interference is a spot foul. It's the same reason why you almost never see offensive pass interference versus defensive pass interference. It's why every penalty, save for a few minor penalties, are automatic first downs if committed by the defense. It's also the reason why the passer (mainly the QB) is the most protected player in the game. If you could see how long the section on roughing the passer and other roughness penalties against the quarterback is in the NFL rule book is, you'd see how much of a point they make it to protect the quarterback (fans know the QB...and they love high scoring passing games).

Let's not kid ourselves...the NFL likes when there are high scoring games that involve the passing game and have adjusted the playing rules to try and influence that. I'm guessing they wouldn't mind going to one foot inbounds versus two, if it wasn't so ingrained in fans.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Last edited by APG; Fri Apr 13, 2012 at 01:27pm.
Old Fri Apr 13, 2012, 01:29pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
The NBA has explicitly modified rules with the purpose of increasing scoring...targeting their viewing audiences wishes. I don't think the NFL has necessarily done so to the same degree. (I don't watch baseball so I can't comment there). Some of the NFL football rules actually are counter to increased scoring (e.g., 2 feet down vs 1 foot down on a sideline reception...making it more difficult to advance the ball).
Passing interference rules, penalty enforcements (automatic first downs), illegal contact rules (automatic first downs and does not apply at the other levels at all), hitting defenseless players, roughing the passer rules and interpretations, tackle box classification for throwing the ball away, timing rules like 2 minute warning and I could name a lot of other things that are totally different from the NF and NCAA level that are allowed at the NFL level. One PI call can give you more yards than any other penalty and often is debated when they are called. The Brady Rule was to keep the starting QB in the game for low hits that took their knees out. That was not done just for safety as those rules do not apply at all in HS or college. A sideline catch is a minimal issue to scoring than I can get 50 yards on a PI call on a scoring drive. There are 300 plus rules differences between HS and pro and 200 plus for NCAA to pro and most are to allow certain actions that would allow more scoring either directly or indirectly. And you might have noticed I did not talk about helmet hits or other issues the media focuses on all the time.

Quote:
The indictment is more about the NBA as a league and not the officials. I have no doubt that the officials are doing a great job calling the game as they're hired to do. The league just has a different goal in how they want the game called...and the officials do the job they're hired to do.
So does the NFL and so does MLB. Do you think the DH rule is so that scoring is not higher and to keep players that cannot keep up in the field around? Even hockey has rules that allowed for more movement and more penalties because scoring at one time was at the rate of soccer and they changed rules to make these things happen. The NBA is not the only pro league that has rules

Peace
Old Fri Apr 13, 2012, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
The previous comment I quoted by you seems extremely critical of the no-call. How often have you seen a rolled throw-in make it into the f/c untouched?
And that has what to do with backcourt violation?
Old Fri Apr 13, 2012, 01:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Precisely, you saved me much typing.
Old Fri Apr 13, 2012, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
The NBA has different travelling rules than the NCAA and FED. And we have seen plenty of video posted right here in this forum showing NCAA officials failing to enforce obvious travelling violations. And we've also seen plenty of examples of NCAA officials incorrectly calling BC violations that did not occur.

So again, do you make the same statement about NCAA officials as you would NBA officials?
See Camron post.
Old Fri Apr 13, 2012, 02:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
And that has what to do with backcourt violation?
IDK... thought I was on another thread Wheres the coffee pot?
Old Fri Apr 13, 2012, 05:15pm
Official Forum Member

I don't know what any of this NBA, NCAA, NFL , MLB crap has to do with the situation but I agree with fullor.

The Miami player committed a backcourt violation that any 15 y/o working a 7&U league would have called. It was as blatant as any you'll see, yet an NBA official didn't make the call.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith

Last edited by BktBallRef; Fri Apr 13, 2012 at 10:49pm.
Old Fri Apr 13, 2012, 05:57pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:

My son tells me ESPN's NOT Top Ten today had Lebron taking six steps from the top of the key before getting fouled....said he carried the ball like a football. Haven't found THAT video yet. But, I'm a lookin!
Old Fri Apr 13, 2012, 06:41pm
Official Forum Member

The play in question:

Under NFHS and NCAA rules, this is a clear violation. It is not so under NBA rules. The defense bats the ball away...thus that ends team control. Turiaf then tries to control the ball..the first initial push to the floor could be considered control...thus he had a positive position in the frontcourt with the ball and the subsequent actions would constitute a backcourt violation.

If the calling official did not believe that constituted control, when Turiaf gains control of the ball, he's in the air...he has not attained a positive position with the ball. His right foot lands in the front, and his left foot appears as though it might have landed on the midcourt line. This would mean he attained a positive position with the ball in the backcourt...which in this case would be legal.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Last edited by APG; Fri Apr 13, 2012 at 06:46pm.
Old Fri Apr 13, 2012, 06:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
The play in question:

Under NFHS and NCAA rules, this is a clear violation. It is not so under NBA rules. The defense bats the ball away...thus that ends team control. Turiaf then tries to control the ball..the first initial push to the floor could be considered control...thus he had a positive position in the frontcourt with the ball and the subsequent actions would constitute a backcourt violation.

If the calling official did not believe that constituted control, when Turiaf gains control of the ball, he's in the air...he has not attained a positive position with the ball. His right foot lands in the front, and his left foot appears as though it might have landed on the midcourt line. This would mean he attained a positive position with the ball in the backcourt...which in this case would be legal.
Great explanation.

I think the non-calling official had a terrible view of the play, it looked like he got caught moving toward the endline, then couldn't see the play at all, so instead of guessing he didn't have a whistle. I didn't mind the play at all, he didn't see it, so we don't guess.

I did mind his body language.