The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 15, 2012, 05:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Yes, it does (in my reading at least). No subs, no time. It's not a "time out", it's a "replacement interval".
But who would know with certainty if they had any eligible subs? Couldn't the coach still add a player at the cost of a Technical? I say give the time, coach says no subs are available and we move on. Or coach says, I want to add a player to the book and go from there.

While I agree that the time is there for a replacement, who cares what the coach is really using that time for? In most cases the coach doesn't need 20 seconds and they know who the sub is prior to us starting the clock. But they almost always bring their kids over and have a quick word, then finally send the kid in to sub. JMO
Old Wed Feb 15, 2012, 05:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toren View Post
But who would know with certainty if they had any eligible subs? Couldn't the coach still add a player at the cost of a Technical? I say give the time, coach says no subs are available and we move on. Or coach says, I want to add a player to the book and go from there.
The few times this has happened, we knew the team was out. They started with 6 (or 7 or 8) and fouled out 2 (or 3 or 4). It's not rocket science.

And, if a player is added to the book, then s/he is in the game, and the "replacement interval" is over. OF course, the coach can talk to the team while the FTs are being shot.
Old Wed Feb 15, 2012, 05:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I think that the coach should have twenty seconds to instruct his players on how his team will play four against five. I'm not sure the rules back me up, but I'm also not 100% sure that they don't, I'm just 99% sure that they don't.
The NFHS ruled on this via POE or interp about four years ago.
I can't remember exactly where the ruling appeared.
It was: No sub available = no replacement period
Just get the game underway after removing the DQ'd player.
Old Wed Feb 15, 2012, 05:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I think that the coach should have twenty seconds to instruct his players on how his team will play four against five. I'm not sure the rules back me up, but I'm also not 100% sure that they don't, I'm just 99% sure that they don't.
Is that the point of a timeout?
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Wed Feb 15, 2012, 05:47pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1 View Post
If I were the coach I'd say I have an available sub in the locker room putting his shoes on... then say he's become sick and is no longer available.

Meaning he isn't getting a free 20 second TO.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed Feb 15, 2012, 06:18pm
Official Forum Member

There's a mechanism available if a coach wants to talk to his team. ITS CALLED A TIMEOUT. By letting him steal a 30, gives him an unfair advantage and makes us look like we are playing favorites.

--- Famous Cleveland area official to HC

"I Love Officiating so much, I do it for free. However, I charge for all the crap I take."

--- Me
Old Wed Feb 15, 2012, 06:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignats75 View Post
There's a mechanism available if a coach wants to talk to his team. ITS CALLED A TIMEOUT. By letting him steal a 30, gives him an unfair advantage and makes us look like we are playing favorites.
So do you not let the coach talk to his players throughout the game? And when did a replacement interval become 30 seconds?

And why would the other team not be able to talk to their players during this interval? This would be the only reason that it would look like favorites. The referee's just called a foul that disqualified a player, I doubt anyone will say "Man that referee sure does like that team, they keep calling fouls on them."
Old Wed Feb 15, 2012, 06:38pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
The NFHS ruled on this via POE or interp about four years ago.
It was: No sub available = no replacement period
Just get the game underway after removing the DQ'd player.
What if the coach simply takes the 20 seconds and *then* informs you that he has no replacement?
Old Wed Feb 15, 2012, 08:00pm
Official Forum Member

If the official isn't aware that no replacements are available, then that is a slightly different situation.
You can only act upon what you know.
Most coaches will quickly say, "I don't have anyone else" or something similar.
When you learn that, you resume play immediately.
Now it may be the case that a player was injured earlier in the contest and the coach may go see if he can return at this time. I have no problem allowing for some time for him to determine that.
Old Wed Feb 15, 2012, 09:18pm
Esteemed Forum Member

The King Is Dead, Long Live The King ...

Quote:
What? How can this be? The Nevadaref that we have all come to know, and love, used to be the "King of the Archived Interpretations".
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Feb 16, 2012, 12:38am
Official Forum Member

Here's NFHS 10-5-2:

The head coach shall replace or remove a disqualified/injured player, or player directed to leave the game, within 20 seconds when a substitute is available.

and NCAA 10-4-5/10-6-2g

The head coach shall replace a disqualified or injured player within 20
seconds when a substitute is available.

It's in the penalty section but both codes specify replacing a disqualified player when a substitute is available.

I had this happen in a D-3 game last season. The home team had five players. One fouled out about 10 minutes into the second half. The coach asked for the 20 seconds and the official closest to her said "no, you don't have any subs" and we played on. I know we want to be charitable at times but there really isn't any gray area given the way the rule is written. Besides, we're just opening up a can of worms in terms of dealing with the other coach.

As for the coach potentially saying there's another player in the locker room, let's think: before the game don't we tell the scorekeeper to write down the name of anyone who might show up/play? I know I do. In that game where the team had five players we asked beforehand if they thought anyone else would show. What I'm saying is a response like "there's another player in the locker room" shouldn't even be on the table. We should know if someone has a chance of showing up.

Last edited by JetMetFan; Thu Feb 16, 2012 at 09:36am. Reason: spelling
Old Thu Feb 16, 2012, 12:56am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
.....let's think: before the game don't we tell the scorekeeper to write down the name of anyone who might show up/play?
Gotta give a resounding no on this one.

Lonesome Dove
Old Thu Feb 16, 2012, 03:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
What? How can this be? The Nevadaref that we have all come to know, and love, used to be the "King of the Archived Interpretations".
I've had a nasty illness for the past two weeks, just getting back to normal.
I'll have to use that as my excuse for being unable to pinpoint some rulings recently.
I'll be fine by the time that I take the court for postseason.
Old Thu Feb 16, 2012, 07:24am
Esteemed Forum Member

More Players In Book Than On Floor ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
Gotta give a resounding no on this one.
There was actually an IAABO (not NFHS) refresher exam question on this about ten years ago. Please don't make me go and dig it out of my file, but is was something about a player missing the bus, and on route to the game. The IAABO (not NFHS) interpretation to this question was that the player's name was not to be written in the book. My local interpreter disagreed with this interpretation, and locally we still allow more names in the book than on the floor, but that may not be the correct IAABO interpretation.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Thu Feb 16, 2012, 07:26am
Esteemed Forum Member

Signed, Epstein's Mother ...

Quote:
I'll have to use that as my excuse for being unable to pinpoint some rulings recently. I'll be fine by the time that I take the court for postseason.
Just in case you had better carry a casebook in your back pocket. An added bonus, you can switch the casebook from pocket to pocket to help keep track of the possession arrow.