The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 04, 2007, 08:11am
Official Forum Member

Subs

Last night, 18G tourney championship game - ASA.

This is about what the line up card looked like (all legal subs properly reported)

Line Up Position 6: 18 / 4 / 12 / 4

When #4 was returned to the game (replacing 12 on base) the opposing coach called time and talked and talked and talked. I was BU. After a bit the PU calls me and we get together.. I confirm for him all players may be substituted and reentered once.

The coach's contention (even going so far as apparently calling from the dugout an NCAA head coach who "confirmed for her") was that only a starter could be reentered.

Coach advised game was being finished under protest (unfortunately for her tourney rules clearly state "all protests are settled by the home plate umpire/tD"). But the dramatics of the issue were surreal.

This happened in a 0-0 ballgame, bottom of 7.

We went into the 8th/tie breaker and they lost bottom of 8th, this had no bearing on the game... but still the crowd who all believed her and was large.. was unhappy to say the least. "We gave them the game" etc. Because of this sub (who never scored or as far as I know made a defensive play).

So for my piece of mind, do I read and understand sub rule right or is there an aspect I am missing.. if me and my partner goofed that up, I need to know.

2nd Question.. is the coach correct for NCAA rules and just applying them to ASA?

Thanks
Old Mon Jun 04, 2007, 08:14am
Official Forum Member

Wade,
Yes, in NCAA ball, only a starter may re-enter.
Old Mon Jun 04, 2007, 08:32am
Official Forum Member

I though so and even told the coach it was probably true for NCAA, but in ASA the rule states "all players..", it doesnt state "starters" except talking about being in the game at the same time as the sub. After the game I went straight to the rule book and read the rule to my partner.. phew! Boy its nice when you get it right.

I wanted to be sure. We were in a stadium, tight championship game... and boy can you get heckled in a stadium!

The opposing coach was very good and never really got out of line, but could talk forever.. that always makes it tougher too.

In the dugout were comments from coaches to each other that we blew a "no brainer that everyone knows etc". (these are rabbit ears comments so I took no action on them).

Well at least she had an excuse she could feed her players as to why they lost.. I hope she looks it up for herself. Who knows though.

I am surprised nothing about this has turned up on EZTEAMS. There are many people involved in both of these teams on that board. If it comes up, you'll know whats being talked about.

Last edited by wadeintothem; Mon Jun 04, 2007 at 08:35am.
Old Mon Jun 04, 2007, 10:01am
Official Forum Member

Coach, are you playing the game under protest?

That ends a conversation real quick. If she says yes, no reason for further conversation, call the UIC. If she says no, then the discussion must be over.