The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 16, 2012, 11:16am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
If you think that spectator conduct is affecting the way the players are acting, let the coach know and he will deal with his players.

MTD, Sr.
Thank you for your feedback.
Old Thu Feb 16, 2012, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
While it's nice to hear (we are human, after all), it becomes less meaningful when we realize that the fans know absolutely nothing about officiating.

Depending on the level, in order for the fans to think I did a good job, I would need to call "over the back," "reach," "high dribble," "three seconds," and "something."
I realize that most fans are not knowledgeable about everything in our rulebook. Like you said, we are human and it's nice to hear a job well whether they know what their talking about. Don't take much stock into it. Only care about what my peers think.
Old Thu Feb 16, 2012, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You are missing my point. By reward, I mean the "fans" now knows that you are listening to him and not doing your job on the court.
Most officials would be able to hear what someone is saying while still officiating.

In summary...your "fans are rewarded when I kick them out" stance still makes no sense.
Old Thu Feb 16, 2012, 02:49pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra View Post
Most officials would be able to hear what someone is saying while still officiating.

In summary...your "fans are rewarded when I kick them out" stance still makes no sense.

Cobra:

Read my Post (#30) above. Unless it the Spectator's actions involve one of the three items (see my Post #24) then ignore them. When you stop the game for any thing other than the items I have outlined in Post #24, you are rewarding them by the fact they now know you are more concerned about them than doing your job on the court. When you "eject" a fan for anything other than the items I have outlined they get the satisfaction of saying: "A hey look at me, the ref is so lousy that he had to throw me out of the game."

An official is in a lose-lose situation when he thinks that I will show than fan how much authority I have.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Thu Feb 16, 2012, 03:01pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Why? Somebody in the stands called you a name. So what! The fans, except in the situations I have already noted, are not our concern. When you address their behavior you reward them; they know that you are paying attention to them instead of doing your job on the court. That is what these types of idiots want from you. Ignore them! You sound like officials who only officiate soccer.

MTD, Sr.
My province has zero tolerance for breaking their Fair Play Policy.

Accusatory statements such as the example given are exactly the element they want dealt with. And by dealing with it, they want an ejection.
Old Thu Feb 16, 2012, 03:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Why? Somebody in the stands called you a name. So what! The fans, except in the situations I have already noted, are not our concern. When you address their behavior you reward them; they know that you are paying attention to them instead of doing your job on the court. That is what these types of idiots want from you. Ignore them! You sound like officials who only officiate soccer.

MTD, Sr.
I just ran a fan a couple weeks ago for verbally taunting a visiting team player. He didn't get physical, he didn't come on the court, but a 50-ish man cursing at and calling a girl from the opposing team "trash" from three feet away got him a swift exit.

First time I've run a fan in years, but I have no qualms about having done it.
Old Thu Feb 16, 2012, 05:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Cobra:

Read my Post (#30) above. Unless it the Spectator's actions involve one of the three items (see my Post #24) then ignore them. When you stop the game for any thing other than the items I have outlined in Post #24, you are rewarding them by the fact they now know you are more concerned about them than doing your job on the court. When you "eject" a fan for anything other than the items I have outlined they get the satisfaction of saying: "A hey look at me, the ref is so lousy that he had to throw me out of the game."

An official is in a lose-lose situation when he thinks that I will show than fan how much authority I have.

MTD, Sr.
Once again, where do you get this thing that the official is more concerned with the fan than the game? You seem to have some very different and weird thoughts on this issue than the vast majority of all officials yet you assume everyone thinks like you.

You are entirely way way too concerned about what some nut in the stands who is swearing at you, calling you a racist whatever is going to think if you kick him out. I would guess that no one else on this forum cares about that at all. They are not at all concerned with this idiot. You are the one who is trying to play some crazy mind game with the idiot. You are the one who is too concerned with making sure that this guy doesn't get a reward; remember that this reward is just something that you made up in your head to go along with the mind game that you are playing with him and that you think he is playing with you. You have no idea if this guy even thinks getting kicked out is a reward, you just made that part up in your head. Basically you've demonstrated that you are entirely too concerned with this guy. Other officials would just have the guy taken out, you have this whole big thing that you have to go through in your head to make sure that this guy doesn't win some game you made up.

You really think that the reason that officials kick someone out is because they want to show the guy how much authority they have? You seem to be very out of touch with the entire issue.
Old Thu Feb 16, 2012, 05:10pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra View Post
Once again, where do you get this thing that the official is more concerned with the fan than the game? You seem to have some very different and weird thoughts on this issue than the vast majority of all officials yet you assume everyone thinks like you.

You are entirely way way too concerned about what some nut in the stands who is swearing at you, calling you a racist whatever is going to think if you kick him out. I would guess that no one else on this forum cares about that at all. They are not at all concerned with this idiot. You are the one who is trying to play some crazy mind game with the idiot. You are the one who is too concerned with making sure that this guy doesn't get a reward; remember that this reward is just something that you made up in your head to go along with the mind game that you are playing with him and that you think he is playing with you. You have no idea if this guy even thinks getting kicked out is a reward, you just made that part up in your head. Basically you've demonstrated that you are entirely too concerned with this guy. Other officials would just have the guy taken out, you have this whole big thing that you have to go through in your head to make sure that this guy doesn't win some game you made up.

You really think that the reason that officials kick someone out is because they want to show the guy how much authority they have? You seem to be very out of touch with the entire issue.
If I hear it and know who said it, I'll direct GM to have the knucklehead removed. If I hear it and don't know who said it, I'll direct GM to address the issue however they see fit. If it happens a second time (after I talk to GM), I'll consider removing an entire section.

ISTM that ignoring the behavior is doing exactly what MTD is afraid of, rewarding it. I don't hear much from the stands anymore (although doing more MS this year, I've heard more than I care to admit), but racial stuff would stand out enough for me to take care of it pretty quickly.

Whether the fan thinks he's gotten into my head or not is not my concern; getting his arse out of my gym, however, is my concern.
Old Thu Feb 16, 2012, 09:49pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
This is a true story that proves your point.

About five years ago, my first game of the season was a boys' Jr. H.S. DH between School A and School B played at School A. After the 7th grade game (which School B lost), a parent from School B really ripped us (my partner and me) a new one, telling us how bad we were. Of course my partner and I had a good laugh in the dressing room.

Three days later, with a different partner, I had School B versus School C at School B. After the 7th grade game (which School B won), the same parent that ripped my partner and me three days earlier said that we were great officials and the officials they had a few days ago really sucked.

MTD, Sr.
You could have told him about the school 3 days ago that...well, maybe you did, in your mind.
Old Thu Feb 16, 2012, 10:47pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhjordan23 View Post
I realize that most fans are not knowledgeable about everything in our rulebook. Like you said, we are human and it's nice to hear a job well whether they know what their talking about. Don't take much stock into it. Only care about what my peers think.
Knowing the rules isn't sufficient qualification to critique my game.