The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 16, 2012, 12:33pm
I got a Basketball Jones!

Officials to blame??

Check out great photo

Anne Arundel boys’ basketball: Old Mill snaps Arundel’s 20-game win streak in chaotic finish - The Washington Post
Old Thu Feb 16, 2012, 12:47pm
Do not give a damn!!

Blame the official's for what? Headbands? Not sure where you are going with this.

Peace
Old Thu Feb 16, 2012, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

Probably because the article says this, "Salmond was fouled and the clock was set to 13 seconds remaining after the whistle, but a media member filming the game noted nine seconds had elapsed on his camera’s timer so only eight seconds should have remained."

But since you can't use a monitor it doesn't matter it 200 cameras filmed it.

Also, blaming officials is a lame and a tired excuse. The team still had over 31 minutes of game time to make another free throw, score another field goal or stop the opposing team one more time.
Old Thu Feb 16, 2012, 01:22pm
Official Forum Member

Ijs

Chopping in time is good, making sure the clock actually starts on the chop is even better.
Old Thu Feb 16, 2012, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

Tough to look to see if the clock started when there are bodies on the floor. Also we don't know where the clock is located on the floor. Not an excuse, but again some locations make it difficult when we have people fighting for the ball in a close and possibly physical game.
The officials didn't have definitive knowledge of time elapsed and by rule should have left all the time on the clock.
Old Thu Feb 16, 2012, 01:35pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WreckRef View Post
Probably because the article says this, "Salmond was fouled and the clock was set to 13 seconds remaining after the whistle, but a media member filming the game noted nine seconds had elapsed on his camera’s timer so only eight seconds should have remained."
I was focusing on the comments about the photo not the situation based on the comment in the OP.

Peace
Old Thu Feb 16, 2012, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

Multi-task

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserkBBK View Post
Tough to look to see if the clock started when there are bodies on the floor. Also we don't know where the clock is located on the floor. Not an excuse, but again some locations make it difficult when we have people fighting for the ball in a close and possibly physical game.
The officials didn't have definitive knowledge of time elapsed and by rule should have left all the time on the clock.
I agree, depending on where the clock is located, 2 vs 3 person crews & the ensuing action following the missed FT, it can be quite tough. That being said, it still can & should be done. Sneaking a peek takes less than two seconds...
Old Thu Feb 16, 2012, 01:43pm
Official Forum Member

Two quotes from article interested me.

"the scorekeepers couldn’t see the play because the bench was standing up in front of them"

"an official blew an inadvertent whistle after a defensive rebound. "
Old Thu Feb 16, 2012, 02:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
Chopping in time is good, making sure the clock actually starts on the chop is even better.
not having an inadvertant whistle is EVEN BETTER!!!!

can't control made or missed shots....
can't control turnovers....
can't control bad coaching decisions....
can't control when the clock starts/stops....(although we can always adjust it)

we CAN control when we blow our whistle.

Did the IW have an effect on the game? of course!
Did the IW cause Anne Arundel to lose the game? NO!
Old Thu Feb 16, 2012, 02:22pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
I agree, depending on where the clock is located, 2 vs 3 person crews & the ensuing action following the missed FT, it can be quite tough. That being said, it still can & should be done. Sneaking a peek takes less than two seconds...
So does an elbow to the face.
Old Thu Feb 16, 2012, 02:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
So does an elbow to the face.
You sir are absolutely correct... managing all aspects of the game, as well as emotions is what seperates good officials from exceptional officials.
Old Thu Feb 16, 2012, 02:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsqrddgd909 View Post
"the scorekeepers couldn’t see the play because the bench was standing up in front of them"
Sounds like there might be a couple nominations for Fullor30's "wish I hadn't" file. But also hope somebody reminded the scorekeeper he/she is supposed to be watching and listening to us, not necessarily "the play," or scrum in this case.
Old Thu Feb 16, 2012, 05:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsqrddgd909 View Post
Two quotes from article interested me.

Do they have 2 different officials signal for the clock to start? I doubt that the timer could not see either signal.
Old Thu Feb 16, 2012, 05:18pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
You sir are absolutely correct... managing all aspects of the game, as well as emotions is what seperates good officials from exceptional officials.
My point is, saying you should look at the clock here is obvious; but we also need to acknowledge that sometimes we just can't. I should be able to hear the coach request a TO, every time, but sometimes, I just can't.

When there's matchup activity that needs to be monitored, I'm willing to give up clock management for a moment if I can't look away.

This year, I've made it a priority to glance at the clock, and I've done pretty well; but I also think any time we have multiple and (sometimes) competing responsibilities, we have to prioritize.
Old Thu Feb 16, 2012, 06:36pm
C'mon man!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
My point is, saying you should look at the clock here is obvious; but we also need to acknowledge that sometimes we just can't. I should be able to hear the coach request a TO, every time, but sometimes, I just can't.

When there's matchup activity that needs to be monitored, I'm willing to give up clock management for a moment if I can't look away.

This year, I've made it a priority to glance at the clock, and I've done pretty well; but I also think any time we have multiple and (sometimes) competing responsibilities, we have to prioritize.
So in this situation when you notice the clock hasn't started, you would blow the play dead, and then (in this situation) go to the AP because I assume it was still a loose ball, right?

And just curious, how long do you go before you whistle the play dead? 1 sec. 5 sec? Does it matter how far along in the game you are? Just curious about others' opinions.