The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 15, 2012, 11:36am
We don't rent pigs

The fact is most fans, and quite a few coaches, are not even qualified to comment on the quality of the officiating. Comments, whether good or bad, should be treated as displays of manners, or the lack thereof.

Lonesome Dove
Old Wed Feb 15, 2012, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
The fact is most fans, and quite a few coaches, are not even qualified to comment on the quality of the officiating. Comments, whether good or bad, should be treated as displays of manners, or the lack thereof.
This. If a coach shakes my hand after a game to show sportsmanship, I tell him good game and then move on. If they leave without a word, no problem. If they are obviously upset with the outcome, I get out of the way as to not attract any unnecessary trouble

(rec ball)
Old Wed Feb 15, 2012, 12:06pm
Archaic Power Monger

My favorite fan comments are when I'm called a racist for daring to call a foul against a player that is of a different race from myself. I find it especially amusing when none of the 10 players are of the same race as I am.

My other favorite was hearing "Two wrongs don't make a right!" after I T'd up a coach who didn't like a disconcertion call I made on one of his players.

I have a fan removed if I need to but otherwise, they just amuse me.
Old Wed Feb 15, 2012, 02:11pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by letemplay View Post
I appreciate your drive to have the perfect game, but there will never be one until...there is a perfectly PLAYED game. We get what is played in front of us most times. Had a fan say "you guys called a crappy game" Response: "Funny, that's the way we saw it too!" and it was a crappy game to call, for sure
1. An official can absolutely have a perfect game regardless of perfection from the players.
2. Even though the odds are heavily stacked against us, the goal should always be a perfectly called game. That will include some calls and non-calls. Do you think basketball teams set out to miss shots?
3. Would you really respond like that? Smart comebacks are something I wouldn't recommend any official use. If you are just thinking it...waste of time. IMO
Old Wed Feb 15, 2012, 05:07pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Hey bainsey: You suck.
Get in line, pal.
Old Wed Feb 15, 2012, 05:10pm
Esteemed Forum Member

The Stanislavski Method ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
Get in line, pal.
Are you motivated now?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Feb 15, 2012, 08:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
Doesn't that depend greatly upon the motivation of the source?
It has with the source, period.

A coach wins a 1 point game, runs into you in the hallway after the game, and says, "You guys did a great job tonight."

Six weeks later, he loses a 1 point game, runs into you in the hallway after the game and says, "You guys cheated us tonight."

Now, if you're gonna bust your arm, patting yourself on the back after he makes the first comment, then you have to take his second comment to heart as well. Or did that highly perceptive coach from game 1 suddenly become a dumba$$ after game 2?

The point is, fans are always gonna be fans, coaches are always gonna be coaches, players are...you get it. They're your best friend when they win and your worst enemy when they lose. They don't care about you, only what you can do for them. You can't get a big head because a coach said you did a good job anymore than you should beat yourself up when he says you suck. Let it all go in one ear and out the other, because none of it means anything.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Thu Feb 16, 2012, 12:30am
Official Forum Member

If a fan called an official a racist loud enough that everyone in the gym heard, wouldn't that be an automatic ejection for the fan?
Old Thu Feb 16, 2012, 12:39am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BballRookie View Post
If a fan called an official a racist loud enough that everyone in the gym heard, wouldn't that be an automatic ejection for the fan?

While such a remark has no place in an athletic contest, the answer is no. And here is why:

99% of the game officials' attention should be directed toward knowing what is happening between the lines and the other 1% should be directed toward knowing what is happening in the bench areas. The only time that game officials should take action regarding spectator conduct is if any of the following this happen: 1) A spectator comes onto the playing court; 2) A spectator makes a threat of physical violence against a game official, player(s), bench personnel, or Scorer/Timer Table personnel; or 3) A spectator makes physical contact with a game official or any other participant in the contest. When any of these things happen do not address the spectator. Instead, stop the game and notify Game Management and let them handle the situation.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio

Last edited by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.; Thu Feb 16, 2012 at 09:27am. Reason: Corrected typo and grammar.
Old Thu Feb 16, 2012, 08:35am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BballRookie View Post
Unlike Mark, I will have a fan removed if I can identify them and am 100% certain who it was. But when it's coming from somewhere in the crowd (or an entire section of fans), there's not much that I can do. I'm not going to expend a lot of energy in trying to figure out who it was either but if it's obvious, I will have it dealt with.
Old Thu Feb 16, 2012, 09:19am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
My favorite fan comments are when I'm called a racist for daring to call a foul against a player that is of a different race from myself. I find it especially amusing when none of the 10 players are of the same race as I am.

My other favorite was hearing "Two wrongs don't make a right!" after I T'd up a coach who didn't like a disconcertion call I made on one of his players.

I have a fan removed if I need to but otherwise, they just amuse me.
Automatic ejection around here.
Old Thu Feb 16, 2012, 09:25am
Administrator

Welpe and Juggling Referee

Why? Somebody in the stands called you a name. So what! The fans, except in the situations I have already noted, are not our concern. When you address their behavior you reward them; they know that you are paying attention to them instead of doing your job on the court. That is what these types of idiots want from you. Ignore them! You sound like officials who only officiate soccer.

MTD, Sr.
Toledo, Ohio
Old Thu Feb 16, 2012, 09:40am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
Why? Somebody in the stands called you a name. So what!
For the same reason that I would have a fan removed that uses vulgar or obscene language.

Quote:
The fans, except in the situations I have already noted, are not our concern.
They are when their actions have the ability to poision the game.

Quote:
When you address their behavior you reward them
I didn't realize that in Ohio an ejection was considered an award. Is a traffic ticket there considered a prize?

Quote:
they know that you are paying attention to them instead of doing your job on the court.
If a fan's behavior rises to the point where it grabs my attention, having them removed ensures I can get back to doing my job. I'm sorry you don't think so. What I do know is that in the rare occasions I've had to have a fan removed, the atmosphere and tone of the game have noticeably improved. I'll keep doing what I'm doing.

Last edited by Welpe; Thu Feb 16, 2012 at 09:42am.
Old Thu Feb 16, 2012, 10:52am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhjordan23 View Post
It's nice to hear every once awhile that we do a good job. Heard that from a fan today after my game that I always do an excellent job when he sees me officiate.
While it's nice to hear (we are human, after all), it becomes less meaningful when we realize that the fans know absolutely nothing about officiating.

Depending on the level, in order for the fans to think I did a good job, I would need to call "over the back," "reach," "high dribble," "three seconds," and "something."
Old Thu Feb 16, 2012, 11:12am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
For the same reason that I would have a fan removed that uses vulgar or obscene language.

They are when their actions have the ability to poision the game.

I didn't realize that in Ohio an ejection was considered an award. Is a traffic ticket there considered a prize?

If a fan's behavior rises to the point where it grabs my attention, having them removed ensures I can get back to doing my job. I'm sorry you don't think so. What I do know is that in the rare occasions I've had to have a fan removed, the atmosphere and tone of the game have noticeably improved. I'll keep doing what I'm doing.

Welpe:

You are missing my point. By reward, I mean the "fans" now knows that you are listening to him and not doing your job on the court. Let them scream their lungs out. Is their behavior a disgrace? Yes. Do we care? No.

I have had game management involved only three times with regard to spectator conduct in 41 years of basketball officiating. And I have also umpired HJ.S. and youth baseball and fastpitch softball since 1993 and H.S. soccer from 1993 to 2006.

1) Almost 40 years ago I had a sheriff deputy remove a very large male spectator who stepped onto the court and pushed me from behind just after a throw-in had been completed in boys' H.S. jr. varsity game.

2) Almost 25 years ago I had an A.D. remove a group of boys who goosed a female player with an Alf stuffed doll while she was attempting to make a throw-in.

3) About 15 years ago I had game managment remove two spectators from a AAU Boys' National Championship tournament game because they ran onto the court to protest a Held Ball call my partner had made on a blocked shot.

Does this mean I don't know what is going on in the stands or fans never get upset with my officiating? Absolutely not. I haven't done my job as an official if I haven't pi$$ed off at least half of the fans, . The point is don't be an official who only officiates soccer, especially ones from Ohio; they think that their job is to control not only the players but the spectators.

If you think that spectator conduct is affecting the way the players are acting, let the coach know and he will deal with his players.

MTD, Sr.
Toledo, Ohio