The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 12, 2012, 07:11pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs up Partner tosses spectator with help from coach

Had two "competitive" rec games this morning. The first one was 8th grade boys. Some dad in the stands started giving it to my partner right from the start. About four minutes into the game, partner goes over to stands and tells the guy "That's enough" and gives him the stop sign. It didn't work. The guy started right up again and so my partner came over after the period was over and told him that if he didn't knock it off, he would have to leave the gym.

The guy said, "You can't make me leave." My partner then said that under state law, if he is directed to leave by an official and refuses, the police will be called and he will be cited for trespassing (this actually is the law here in Oregon). The guy kind of waived him off but then the coach stepped up into the stands (the guy was about 5 rows up) and had a conversation with him. The guy then just left the gym.

I asked my partner if he was going to ask the coach what he said to the guy or at least thank him, but he said he would "leave well enough alone".

No problems the rest of the game, except for a kid who threw the ball off the wall after a call went against him and I T'd him up.

Second game, 6th grade boys and my partner (same partner) T'd up a kid for actually refusing to tuck in his jersey after being told to do so three times.
Old Sun Feb 12, 2012, 07:52pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
Had two "competitive" rec games this morning. The first one was 8th grade boys. Some dad in the stands started giving it to my partner right from the start. About four minutes into the game, partner goes over to stands and tells the guy "That's enough" and gives him the stop sign. It didn't work. The guy started right up again and so my partner came over after the period was over and told him that if he didn't knock it off, he would have to leave the gym.

The guy said, "You can't make me leave." My partner then said that under state law, if he is directed to leave by an official and refuses, the police will be called and he will be cited for trespassing (this actually is the law here in Oregon). The guy kind of waived him off but then the coach stepped up into the stands (the guy was about 5 rows up) and had a conversation with him. The guy then just left the gym.

I asked my partner if he was going to ask the coach what he said to the guy or at least thank him, but he said he would "leave well enough alone".

No problems the rest of the game, except for a kid who threw the ball off the wall after a call went against him and I T'd him up.

Second game, 6th grade boys and my partner (same partner) T'd up a kid for actually refusing to tuck in his jersey after being told to do so three times.
I'm doing a Grade 8 boys provincial final about 8-9 years ago. My P is a guy that will do exactly what he says he will do - and is very consistent at it - you *always* know what he is going to call.

During the game, the PG for one team kept having his shorts too low. My P was the one that always caught him (three times) and reminded him to hike them up. I also knew what my P wanted, and his glance to me was him asking me to tell the coach about the issue. (There was a POE about uniforms.) He asked the kid why they always fall down and the kid says that he doesn't like them in the "normal" position.

So the game goes to overtime, and this PG is bringing the ball up uncontested. That's when my P (as trail) noticed why the kid's shorts were always low: the kid lowers them himself. While dribbling, the kid lowers them himself, without missing a beat.

Tweet.

My eyes nearly came out of their sockets. The kid's coach says out loud, "I told you someone would catch you some day". I don't remember who won, but it provided good fun for a week of post-games.
Old Sun Feb 12, 2012, 08:02pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
While we don't enforce the shirt-tuck rule outside of my association (strictly inside it), so 6th graders often go untucked around here, wouldn't a trip to the bench be the preferable consequence, even after being told once?
Old Sun Feb 12, 2012, 08:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

If you're really intent on enforcing this, why didn't you just direct the player to the bench? I bet the next time he tries to check in, he's going to have that jersey tucked in, and if he doesn't, don't allow him in.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sun Feb 12, 2012, 08:51pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
If you're really intent on enforcing this, why didn't you just direct the player to the bench?
It wasn't me. I think my partner did this because of the attitude of the kid. Every time he was directed to tuck it in, he just kind of "pretended" to do so and had a look of disgust on his face.
Old Sun Feb 12, 2012, 10:21pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
If you're really intent on enforcing this, why didn't you just direct the player to the bench? I bet the next time he tries to check in, he's going to have that jersey tucked in, and if he doesn't, don't allow him in.
The added benefit is you have a case play to back you up. I've only done it once, and it worked for the rest of the game and all the next one, five days later.
Old Mon Feb 13, 2012, 07:06am
Esteemed Forum Member

Coach, I Need A Substitute For Mr. Sloppy ...

Quote:
My partner T'd up a kid for actually refusing to tuck in his jersey after being told to do so three times.
Citation please. Is this situation covered in Rule 10? Let's not confuse the rookie officials.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Feb 13, 2012, 11:44am
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Citation please. Is this situation covered in Rule 10? Let's not confuse the rookie officials.
According to my partner, it's called "unsportsmanlike conduct".
Old Mon Feb 13, 2012, 05:37pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Fashion Police, Gestapo Division ...

Quote:
According to my partner, it's called "unsportsmanlike conduct".
OK. Sounds reasonable, but I'm not sure that I would go that route.

3.3.5 SITUATION A: B1 fouls A1. Just before A1 goes to the line for a one and one,
the official observes: (a) A1 pull the shirt out of his/her pants; or (b) A1’s
pants being worn below the hips. RULING: In both (a) and (b), A1 will be directed
to put the shirt in the pants or pull up the pants, and must leave the game
immediately following his/her last free throw(s). The lane is cleared for the free
throw and Team B is awarded the ball for a throw-in, whether or not the last free
throw is successful. COMMENT: A charged time-out by Team A does not alter the
requirement for A1 to leave the game.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Feb 13, 2012, 05:41pm
C'mon man!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
OK. Sounds reasonable, but I'm not sure that I would go that route.

3.3.5 SITUATION A: B1 fouls A1. Just before A1 goes to the line for a one and one,
the official observes: (a) A1 pull the shirt out of his/her pants; or (b) A1’s
pants being worn below the hips. RULING: In both (a) and (b), A1 will be directed
to put the shirt in the pants or pull up the pants, and must leave the game
immediately following his/her last free throw(s). The lane is cleared for the free
throw and Team B is awarded the ball for a throw-in, whether or not the last free
throw is successful. COMMENT: A charged time-out by Team A does not alter the
requirement for A1 to leave the game.
I agree with this for the first and maybe the second infraction but after that, they are getting a T for turning the game into an actionless contest. Coach won't let that go on much longer.
Old Mon Feb 13, 2012, 05:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes View Post
I agree with this for the first and maybe the second infraction but after that, they are getting a T for turning the game into an actionless contest. Coach won't let that go on much longer.
IMO, that rule doesn't apply...the contest isn't becoming actionless. You send the player out, and you'll resume play immediately afterward. No need to go to the technical foul route at all...one of three things will happen if you just use the avenues given to us:

1.) The coach WILL make sure the player has his shirt tucked in if the player is important enough.
2.) The player will make sure the shirt is tucked in if he values his playing time.
3.) The coach will just sit the player down for an extended period of time.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Old Mon Feb 13, 2012, 06:13pm
C'mon man!!

Quote:
IMO, that rule doesn't apply...the contest isn't becoming actionless. You send the player out, and you'll resume play immediately afterward. No need to go to the technical foul route at all...one of three things will happen if you just use the avenues given to us:

1.) The coach WILL make sure the player has his shirt tucked in if the player is important enough.
2.) The player will make sure the shirt is tucked in if he values his playing time.
3.) The coach will just sit the player down for an extended period of time.
I hope (and would bet) that following the procedure would solve the problem, but if not and I have to send the same player off 5 times in the first half because he can't keep his clothes on that is going to get a T. I agree most players are smart enough to figure it out but if not....
Old Mon Feb 13, 2012, 06:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes View Post
I hope (and would bet) that following the procedure would solve the problem, but if not and I have to send the same player off 5 times in the first half because he can't keep his clothes on that is going to get a T. I agree most players are smart enough to figure it out but if not....
Well how is the contest becoming actionless? Stop the game, send the player out, game resumes. Even if this happens multiple times, the contest isn't becoming actionless.

Old Mon Feb 13, 2012, 06:35pm
C'mon man!!

Quote:
Well how is the contest becoming actionless? Stop the game, send the player out, game resumes. Even if this happens multiple times, the contest isn't becoming actionless.
By the time you inform the coach, have the player take a seat and then start the 20 second replacement interval you just wasted 30-40 seconds that shouldn't have to happen. Are you telling me you would let the same player do this 5 times a game or more?
Old Mon Feb 13, 2012, 06:36pm
Official Forum Member

shirt/shorts

Here in Ga., we just wait for a dead ball/time out and sit 'em down. {after repeated warnings,of course}