The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 12, 2008, 04:40pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation Newbie in training tosses coach

One of the things I do for our local kids rec league is help train the newbies, mostly HS kids. That's what I was doing this morning when I was working with a HS freshman in only his 5th and 6th games ever. We were working a pair of 5/6th grade girls games. The first one went rather well and he did a pretty good job. I had only a few comments, mostly on rule interps.

In the second game, however, we get to the 3rd quarter and it's already a 25 point blowout. He calls a shooting foul (absolutely the correct call) against a girl on the team that's behind. The coach jumps up (we do not recognize a coaching box) and yells, "That's a bunch of crap!" My partner looks at me, I give him kind of a "what are you going to do about it" look and he whacks the coach. As he's walking over to report it, the coach says to him, loud enough that I can hear it, "Oh, I bet you feel like a big man now." This time my partner didn't even bother to check with me and he whacks him again and also gives him the "you're outta here" mechanic. Before the coach can say anything else, I run over (which was a real effort at my age) and get between them. I tell the coach that if he doesn't want this to escalate, he should just pick up his stuff and leave quietly. All the coaches in this league know me and they know to heed any advice along these lines coming from me. He just did exactly what I said.

I discussed it with my partner and told him he did exactly the right thing. He said that it felt "really weird, like I was getting a rush or something." I told him that you always remember your first.

It made me feel like a proud parent.
Old Sat Jan 12, 2008, 04:58pm
Official Forum Member

Good for him!

My 15 year old daughter is in her 2nd year of officiating rec. league. She told me that she would feel funny about assessing T because she would feel that she was being disrespectful to an adult. I only hope that when the time comes she can pull the trigger.

I almost feel like asking one of the coaches to twist her up a little bit, to the point that she will have to call it, just so that she can get past the first one.
Old Sat Jan 12, 2008, 07:10pm
Esteemed Forum Member

"You're Outta Here" Mechanic ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
"You're outta here" mechanic.
(Please read with sarcasm) Which mechanic are you referring to: NFHS, IAABO, FIBA, NCAAM, NCAAW, NBA, or WNBA??

It's my understanding that there is no "You're outta here" mechanic, or signal, however, after my only technical foul call of this season, a flagrant technical foul to a varsity player for striking an opponent after a held ball was called, I found myself, I know, incorrectly, giving the baseball "You're outta here" signal. I don't even umpire baseball, I just found myself doing it.
Old Sat Jan 12, 2008, 07:17pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Well, it's not this....

Old Sat Jan 12, 2008, 07:19pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac
(Please read with sarcasm) Which mechanic are you referring to: NFHS, IAABO, FIBA, NCAAM, NCAAW, NBA, or WNBA??
It's the TBA (Tigard Basketball Association) mechanic. It's the first thing they learn from Mark!
Old Sat Jan 12, 2008, 07:24pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
It's the TBA (Tigard Basketball Association) mechanic. It's the first thing they learn from Mark!
Actually, second thing.