The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 13, 2012, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
well, i thought no possible way was it good, but after watching several times, it's hard to tell. The fact none of the players, officials and even a delayed reaction from coach has me heavily leaning towards a miss.
+1
Old Mon Feb 13, 2012, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

+2

and, a tale from the opposite side:

I'm lead. Ball is shot, seems (in my peripheral vision) to "check up" and falls straight down. Bounces twice. 8 players head back to the other end of the court. B1 heads for the ball with no real sense of urgency. Grabs the ball and nonchalantly tosses it to B2 who hasn't moved much. B2 starts to dribble up the court.

I blow the whistle for a throw-in violation. Partner gently informs me that the shot was missed.
Old Mon Feb 13, 2012, 12:37pm
Official Forum Member

After watching it several times, I have no doubt it went in.

If it didn't go in, that ball has to be a long lost relative of the JFK magic bullet, because its path defies logic otherwise.

You'll also notice the player who collects the ball wasn't even looking up at the basket. He was watching the mess of players in the air flying past the basket. He just sees the ball come bouncing back at him and assumes the shot didn't go in. The player to his right (21) did watch the ball go through, and he starts walking toward the endline to start a throw in. He's clearly confused when he watches his teammate just start dribbling up the floor.

The ball went in.
Old Mon Feb 13, 2012, 01:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
+2

and, a tale from the opposite side:

I'm lead. Ball is shot, seems (in my peripheral vision) to "check up" and falls straight down. Bounces twice. 8 players head back to the other end of the court. B1 heads for the ball with no real sense of urgency. Grabs the ball and nonchalantly tosses it to B2 who hasn't moved much. B2 starts to dribble up the court.

I blow the whistle for a throw-in violation. Partner gently informs me that the shot was missed.
Wow, just remembered a travel game I did earlier this season, I'm trail, shot is missed, defender takes ball steps OB and I blow whistle and call travel...........partner comes over snickering......"it was good". As you said, better at this level than a Varsity game
Old Mon Feb 13, 2012, 01:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasco View Post
after watching it several times, i have no doubt it went in.

If it didn't go in, that ball has to be a long lost relative of the jfk magic bullet, because its path defies logic otherwise.

You'll also notice the player who collects the ball wasn't even looking up at the basket. He was watching the mess of players in the air flying past the basket. He just sees the ball come bouncing back at him and assumes the shot didn't go in. The player to his right (21) did watch the ball go through, and he starts walking toward the endline to start a throw in. He's clearly confused when he watches his teammate just start dribbling up the floor.

The ball went in.
k
Old Mon Feb 13, 2012, 01:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
Does the ball change direction from hitting the rim...or from hitting the player? I'm still not convinced from the video.
I think it went in. It looked (to me) that it changed direction before the player got to it...which means it was the rim and only the inside of the rim could have changed it in the way that it changed.
Old Mon Feb 13, 2012, 01:29pm
Whack! Get Out!!!

Any of you saying that you aren't sure the ball went in really need to visit your optometrist soon!!

The ball *clearly* goes in. If you need to go back and slo-mo or freeze frame it, it is even *more* obvious!

It seems like everyone knows it went in too, except for the kid that grabbed it and took off back up the court.

Looks to me like the lead thought it went in too based on his body language. He should have blown the play dead and instructed the other team to take the ball OOB.

If all three officials somehow do not know it went in (which is a travesty in and of itself!), they should ask the table for help. It should be obvious based on the protest by the coach, fans, etc. that they missed it!

Not a very good way to start off the game!
Old Mon Feb 13, 2012, 01:31pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Any of you saying that you aren't sure the ball went in really need to visit your optometrist soon!!
Wouldn't be the first time I've been called blind in reference to a basketball game, but usually I hear that from the fans.
Old Mon Feb 13, 2012, 01:48pm
Whack! Get Out!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
Wouldn't be the first time I've been called blind in reference to a basketball game, but usually I hear that from the fans.
LOL ... Well, we really should be getting the ones that we can watch over and over again on video correct!
Old Mon Feb 13, 2012, 02:23pm
Official Forum Member

I can understand how this was missed in real time even though either the C or T should have gotten this.

However, with the advantage of replay the ball obviously goes through the rim. I'm shocked that multiple people are saying they can't tell whether or not the ball went in.

Somebody said that none of the players reacted as if it went in. Simply not true. All of the white players, except the one who got the ball, react as if the ball went in. White 3 momentarily puts his hand up to take the ball out of bounds before his teamate takes off with it.

And the body language of all of the blue players is to turn their backs to the ball as if they are going to play defense after a made basket, not transition. Also the blue player closest to the table almost immediately signals for a three as does the entire blue bench.
Old Mon Feb 13, 2012, 02:29pm
Whack! Get Out!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaTerp View Post
I can understand how this was missed in real time even though either the C or T should have gotten this.

However, with the advantage of replay the ball obviously goes through the rim. I'm shocked that multiple people are saying they can't tell whether or not the ball went in.

Somebody said that none of the players reacted as if it went in. Simply not true. All of the white players, except the one who got the ball, react as if the ball went in. White 3 momentarily puts his hand up to take the ball out of bounds before his teamate takes off with it.

And the body language of all of the blue players is to turn their backs to the ball as if they are going to play defense after a made basket, not transition. Also the blue player closest to the table almost immediately signals for a three as does the entire blue bench.
Totally agree —*there were only 4 people in the entire gym that didn't realize the ball went in ... the player that grabbed it and the 3 officials!!
Old Mon Feb 13, 2012, 05:10pm
Official Forum Member

That's pretty good...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
That, and good officiating has us working the rebounding action and not following the ball into the basket unless we think there's a real chance for goaltending or interference.

At least once or twice a season I have no clue that a ball went in when a foul was called. Fortunately, it hasn't come to me counting one that didn't go in or vice versa in 25 years, but it's one of those things I'm afraid could happen, especially working 2-person mechanics.
...because when I'm at lead in 2-man there are several times I've not known the basket was scored, and, depending on the partner, have had to check with the table.

As for this video, the C is right in the play (after the shot, you can make out the top of his head). To me, it didn't look like it went; it looked like BI and the ball hit off the arm of the player who was trying to get the pass.

There are occasions where I've been at lead in 3-man, and feeling the trail wasn't going to make it into the play I've eased up to get an angle on the potential shooter and defender, but this wasn't that type of breakaway. I don't know how the trail didn't have some real knowledge on what happened.

Until a better video comes along, I'll trust the judgment of the guys who were there.
Old Mon Feb 13, 2012, 05:59pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Both Times, My Partner Straightened Me Out ...

I've screwed it up both ways. As the lead, using my peripheral vision, I thought that the ball went in when it actually just flicked the net, and I thought that the ball didn't go in when it actually went through a very loose net like a bat out of hell. Officiate for over thirty years, and you'll probably see everything at least once.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Feb 13, 2012, 07:33pm
Whack! Get Out!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga314ref View Post
Until a better video comes along, I'll trust the judgment of the guys who were there.
A better video? This one clearly shows everything! We shouldn't need a zoomed-in camera on the basket to be able to tell it went in!

Here are the freeze frames for those that are still questioning it!

The ball headed towards the basket...

The ball entering the basket — note the position of the ball just inside the rim...

The ball IN the basket!!

If anyone still wants to say they are not sure after that, I have no idea what to tell you!!
Old Mon Feb 13, 2012, 07:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
A better video? This one clearly shows everything! We shouldn't need a zoomed-in camera on the basket to be able to tell it went in!

Here are the freeze frames for those that are still questioning it!

The ball headed towards the basket...

The ball entering the basket — note the position of the ball just inside the rim...

The ball IN the basket!!

If anyone still wants to say they are not sure after that, I have no idea what to tell you!!
While I believe the ball when in, those still shots are not at all conclusive. They're too grainy to tell whether the ball is in the basket or in front of it. I think the more telling evidence is how the ball changes path as it passes the rim and the net action....in a way that was consistent only with having gone in.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Mon Feb 13, 2012 at 07:38pm.