The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 12, 2012, 11:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
Now, let's say your the C or the T, and you think the ball went in, but continued the play until the next dead ball. Obviously, you'd get the crew together about it, but the only thing you could do is award the 3, and let all other play stand (no throw-in violation), correct?
No. If I think the ball went in, I immediately kill the play. Award the points or give the ball to white, who had the ball when I killed the play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB View Post
If you pause the video just right, or use this video the ball clearly goes through the basket:

I paused the video over and over and I don't see the ball clearly going in the basket. I see the ball hitting the net. The quality of the video is not good enough to see whether the ball goes through the ring or not.

All things being equal, there's no hesitation by the C, the T or the players. No players are raising their arms and yelling for a basket. The hand is quicker than the eye. I've got no basket.

BTW, if the ball is in the net, the player who jumped for the pass has his hand on the rim, which is BI.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith

Last edited by BktBallRef; Sun Feb 12, 2012 at 11:23pm.
Old Sun Feb 12, 2012, 11:20pm
Archaic Power Monger

I'm not convinced the basket was good either, I don't think the video is quite good enough to really tell.
Old Sun Feb 12, 2012, 11:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
I've got a made three point try (that part is obvious).
This might be a time the lead could see the ball go in the basket since this was a potential alley oop play with an offensive player at the rim. Still the C and T have to get this call.
Really??? Just the opposite from me.
Old Mon Feb 13, 2012, 12:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
Really??? Just the opposite from me.
I went off of one look without reading anyone else's opinion on it. It seemed pretty obvious at first...especially with the OP asking if the lead could have helped (which kind of framed my viewing of the play). Upon further review, it's not as obvious.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Mon Feb 13, 2012, 12:25am
(Something hilarious)

I still think it looks pretty obvious. The ball wouldn't react like it does without passing through the net, IMO. It moves abruptly down and to the left.
Old Mon Feb 13, 2012, 12:39am
Official Forum Member

Ok, I'm no physics major, but I don't see how a ball thrown that hard gets stopped and moved to the left enough (from our angle) for the player standing in front of the basket to catch the ball as it lands just by hitting the net.

Look at the flight of the ball after it leaves hands of the "shooter." There's no way that ball would hit just the net and travel back toward the shooter.

It not only went through the ring, it hit the back right side of the ring and caromed back in toward the players. If that ball had just hit the net, it would have continued traveling toward the end line.

Basket should have counted, and T and C both should have had a really good look at it, especially from their angles. Looks like two guys were asleep at the wheel at the same time.
Old Mon Feb 13, 2012, 12:49am
C'mon man!!

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasco View Post
ok, i'm no physics major, but i don't see how a ball thrown that hard gets stopped and moved to the left enough (from our angle) for the player standing in front of the basket to catch the ball as it lands just by hitting the net.

Look at the flight of the ball after it leaves hands of the "shooter." there's no way that ball would hit just the net and travel back toward the shooter.

It not only went through the ring, it hit the back right side of the ring and caromed back in toward the players. If that ball had just hit the net, it would have continued traveling toward the end line.

Basket should have counted, and t and c both should have had a really good look at it, especially from their angles. Looks like two guys were asleep at the wheel at the same time.
+3
Old Mon Feb 13, 2012, 02:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasco View Post
Ok, I'm no physics major, but I don't see how a ball thrown that hard gets stopped and moved to the left enough (from our angle) for the player standing in front of the basket to catch the ball as it lands just by hitting the net.

Look at the flight of the ball after it leaves hands of the "shooter." There's no way that ball would hit just the net and travel back toward the shooter.

Basket should have counted, and T and C both should have had a really good look at it, especially from their angles. Looks like two guys were asleep at the wheel at the same time.
I'm with you. It's obvious the ball went in. I've never seen a coach react the way the V coach does when an errant pass from one of his player's hits the bottom of the net and the other team recovers it.
Old Mon Feb 13, 2012, 04:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
If we're to be accurate, the C or T should've blown this dead immediately, making it a 3 for blue and a throw-in violation for white, correct?

Now, let's say your the C or the T, and you think the ball went in, but continued the play until the next dead ball. Obviously, you'd get the crew together about it, but the only thing you could do is award the 3, and let all other play stand (no throw-in violation), correct?
First...It's a three. If you pause the video at about 0:11 you can see the ball above the rim and then a split-second later it takes a sharp left turn. I went to a science high school so I know there's no way a ball does that in mid-air by itself.

Second...If I happen to stop it and award the goal I'm not calling a throw-in violation. I'd just give the ball to White. Given the general confusion on the court I think that makes sense.

Third...yes, if you figured things out after the foul you'd just award the 3 and go to the POI which is whatever penalty is being administered for the foul.
Old Mon Feb 13, 2012, 09:43am
Archaic Power Monger

Does the ball change direction from hitting the rim...or from hitting the player? I'm still not convinced from the video.
Old Mon Feb 13, 2012, 09:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
I went off of one look without reading anyone else's opinion on it. It seemed pretty obvious at first...especially with the OP asking if the lead could have helped (which kind of framed my viewing of the play). Upon further review, it's not as obvious.
Well, I thought no possible way was it good, but after watching several times, it's hard to tell. the fact none of the players, officials and even a delayed reaction from coach has me heavily leaning towards a miss.
Old Mon Feb 13, 2012, 10:23am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
Well, I thought no possible way was it good, but after watching several times, it's hard to tell. the fact none of the players, officials and even a delayed reaction from coach has me heavily leaning towards a miss.
I think it went in based on watching the video a couple times but as I said earlier on my first viewing I didn't realize it went in and our camera angle is in line with the C so I can see how he missed it. The kid who rebounded the ball didn't think it went in, he was looking at the offensive player jumping towards the rim and then all of a sudden the ball is in his hands.

Just a weird play. I watched a special one night about how sometimes our brains register what we expect to see and not what really happened. If the C is not expecting the ball to go in the basket and then ball takes a funny trajectory not normal for a made basket then his brain might just not have registered that the ball went through the basket.
Old Mon Feb 13, 2012, 10:36am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I think it went in based on watching the video a couple times but as I said earlier on my first viewing I didn't realize it went in and our camera angle is in line with the C so I can see how he missed it. The kid who rebounded the ball didn't think it went in, he was looking at the offensive player jumping towards the rim and then all of a sudden the ball is in his hands.

Just a weird play. I watched a special one night about how sometimes our brains register what we expect to see and not what really happened. If the C is not expecting the ball to go in the basket and then ball takes a funny trajectory not normal for a made basket then his brain might just not have registered that the ball went through the basket.
That, and good officiating has us working the rebounding action and not following the ball into the basket unless we think there's a real chance for goaltending or interference.

At least once or twice a season I have no clue that a ball went in when a foul was called. Fortunately, it hasn't come to me counting one that didn't go in or vice versa in 25 years, but it's one of those things I'm afraid could happen, especially working 2-person mechanics.
Old Mon Feb 13, 2012, 10:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
That, and good officiating has us working the rebounding action and not following the ball into the basket unless we think there's a real chance for goaltending or interference.

At least once or twice a season I have no clue that a ball went in when a foul was called. Fortunately, it hasn't come to me counting one that didn't go in or vice versa in 25 years, but it's one of those things I'm afraid could happen, especially working 2-person mechanics.
This is a 3 person game however, the trail probably had the best angle, opposite the camera angle. If the ball had hit the rim, or fell short he would have seen it. The Head Coach also has that same angle.
Old Mon Feb 13, 2012, 11:32am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toren View Post
This is a 3 person game however, the trail probably had the best angle, opposite the camera angle. If the ball had hit the rim, or fell short he would have seen it. The Head Coach also has that same angle.
Except that even the trail isn't going have laser-like focus on the ball unless he's willing to ignore his other responsibilities.