The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 12, 2012, 10:43am
Official Forum Member

Substituion Question

Teams line up for free throws as a result of a shooting foul. Two subs are ready to come in at the table before the first free thrown. Before the first free throw attempt, coach calls time out. After the time out, coach asks if both both subs able to come into the game or do they have to wait until the first free throw has been attempted. He says that an official told him at their last game that the subs had to wait until the first free throw attempt.
Old Sun Feb 12, 2012, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophat67 View Post
Teams line up for free throws as a result of a shooting foul. Two subs are ready to come in at the table before the first free thrown. Before the first free throw attempt, coach calls time out. After the time out, coach asks if both both subs able to come into the game or do they have to wait until the first free throw has been attempted. He says that an official told him at their last game that the subs had to wait until the first free throw attempt.
Yes. All subs can come in after a timeout as long as they are checked in before the first horn. I would have considered them checked in if they were at the table before the first free throw. I'm trying to think of how big a deal this is anyway?
Old Sun Feb 12, 2012, 01:33pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indianaref View Post
Yes. All subs can come in after a timeout as long as they are checked in before the first horn. I would have considered them checked in if they were at the table before the first free throw. I'm trying to think of how big a deal this is anyway?
Coach might have a knucklehead who he doesn't want doing something stupid during the first free throw.
Old Sun Feb 12, 2012, 03:10pm
Back from the DL

To the table, signalling accordingly: "We have a 30/60-second time out. White coach requested it. Start the clock, please. Subs, you're in."
Old Sun Feb 12, 2012, 04:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
To the table, signalling accordingly: "We have a 30/60-second time out. White coach requested it. Start the clock, please. Subs, you're in."
Is this really correct procedure? What if the coach decides to pull the sub during the timeout? Who would you decide had to sit a tic?
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sun Feb 12, 2012, 04:54pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophat67 View Post
Or was it that the coach totally misunderstood the comments from the official? I tend to be a little leery of what a coach claims an official said from a previous contest.

Peace
Old Sun Feb 12, 2012, 05:07pm
Administrator

White-HC (to me): Mr. Referee may I have a TO now please. (Me: ROFLMAO!)

Me (to White-HC): Yes you may Coach. (Me: Tweet!!) Time-out White! Coach would you like a 30 second TO or a Full TO?

White-HC: Full TO please. (Me: ROFLMAO!)

Me: Thank you Coach.

White-HC: Thank you. (Me: ROFLMAO!)

Me (to White-HC): You're welcome.

Me (to Blue-HC): Full TO by White.

Me (to my partners): Full TO by White.

Me (to substites): Gentlemen/Ladies you are in the game.

Me (to Scorer and Timer): Full TO by White-HC.

Me (to Timer): Start the TO Clock.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sun Feb 12, 2012, 05:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
Me (to my partners): Full TO by White.
Really? Really?

Man, you must have some idiot partners if they can't look at the signal you give to the opposing coach or the table and know what type of TO it is.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Feb 12, 2012, 05:32pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
Really? Really?

Man, you must have some idiot partners if they can't look at the signal you give to the opposing coach or the table and know what type of TO it is.
As soon as I'm signaling a 60-second timeout, a partner is letting the other coach know. I'm only dealing with the table.
Old Sun Feb 12, 2012, 06:16pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
Really? Really?

Acutally, it doesn't take as long as one would think. I wrote 11 quotes in my post. Quotes 2 thru 6 were added for comic effect (but I do tweet my whistle). Quotes 7 and 8 are usually a combined effort. And quotes 9 thru 11 is one run on sentence.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio

Last edited by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.; Sun Feb 12, 2012 at 06:21pm. Reason: Corrected spelling.
Old Sun Feb 12, 2012, 07:37pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
What if the coach decides to pull the sub during the timeout?
If that sub is still at the table, after I've confirmed with my partner whose ball and where after the TO, and I've announced the TO to the table, then he hasn't been pulled.