The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Substituion Question (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/88303-substituion-question.html)

tophat67 Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:43am

Substituion Question

Teams line up for free throws as a result of a shooting foul. Two subs are ready to come in at the table before the first free thrown. Before the first free throw attempt, coach calls time out. After the time out, coach asks if both both subs able to come into the game or do they have to wait until the first free throw has been attempted. He says that an official told him at their last game that the subs had to wait until the first free throw attempt.

Indianaref Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:19am

Quote:

Originally Posted by tophat67 (Post 823064)
Teams line up for free throws as a result of a shooting foul. Two subs are ready to come in at the table before the first free thrown. Before the first free throw attempt, coach calls time out. After the time out, coach asks if both both subs able to come into the game or do they have to wait until the first free throw has been attempted. He says that an official told him at their last game that the subs had to wait until the first free throw attempt.

Yes. All subs can come in after a timeout as long as they are checked in before the first horn. I would have considered them checked in if they were at the table before the first free throw. I'm trying to think of how big a deal this is anyway?

Raymond Sun Feb 12, 2012 01:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indianaref (Post 823071)
Yes. All subs can come in after a timeout as long as they are checked in before the first horn. I would have considered them checked in if they were at the table before the first free throw. I'm trying to think of how big a deal this is anyway?

Coach might have a knucklehead who he doesn't want doing something stupid during the first free throw.

bainsey Sun Feb 12, 2012 03:10pm

To the table, signalling accordingly: "We have a 30/60-second time out. White coach requested it. Start the clock, please. Subs, you're in."

APG Sun Feb 12, 2012 04:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bainsey (Post 823155)
To the table, signalling accordingly: "We have a 30/60-second time out. White coach requested it. Start the clock, please. Subs, you're in."

Is this really correct procedure? What if the coach decides to pull the sub during the timeout? Who would you decide had to sit a tic?

JRutledge Sun Feb 12, 2012 04:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tophat67 (Post 823064)

Or was it that the coach totally misunderstood the comments from the official? I tend to be a little leery of what a coach claims an official said from a previous contest.

Peace

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Sun Feb 12, 2012 05:07pm

White-HC (to me): Mr. Referee may I have a TO now please. (Me: ROFLMAO!)

Me (to White-HC): Yes you may Coach. (Me: Tweet!!) Time-out White! Coach would you like a 30 second TO or a Full TO?

White-HC: Full TO please. (Me: ROFLMAO!)

Me: Thank you Coach.

White-HC: Thank you. (Me: ROFLMAO!)

Me (to White-HC): You're welcome.

Me (to Blue-HC): Full TO by White.

Me (to my partners): Full TO by White.

Me (to substites): Gentlemen/Ladies you are in the game.

Me (to Scorer and Timer): Full TO by White-HC.

Me (to Timer): Start the TO Clock.

MTD, Sr.

BktBallRef Sun Feb 12, 2012 05:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 823189)
Me (to my partners): Full TO by White.

Really? Really?

Man, you must have some idiot partners if they can't look at the signal you give to the opposing coach or the table and know what type of TO it is.

Rich Sun Feb 12, 2012 05:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef (Post 823194)
Really? Really?

Man, you must have some idiot partners if they can't look at the signal you give to the opposing coach or the table and know what type of TO it is.

As soon as I'm signaling a 60-second timeout, a partner is letting the other coach know. I'm only dealing with the table.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Sun Feb 12, 2012 06:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef (Post 823194)
Really? Really?

Acutally, it doesn't take as long as one would think. I wrote 11 quotes in my post. Quotes 2 thru 6 were added for comic effect (but I do tweet my whistle). Quotes 7 and 8 are usually a combined effort. And quotes 9 thru 11 is one run on sentence.

MTD, Sr.

bainsey Sun Feb 12, 2012 07:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer (Post 823181)
What if the coach decides to pull the sub during the timeout?

If that sub is still at the table, after I've confirmed with my partner whose ball and where after the TO, and I've announced the TO to the table, then he hasn't been pulled.