Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 12, 2012, 06:10pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Add a timeout and you will be fine.

The game actually flows better with the two halves if you ask me.

Peace

Rut:

You and I have officiated far more games than we care to admit to under both timing periods. I agree with you that games played in halves have a greater possiblity to have more flow, but college games that are played under electronic broadcast rules are really no better than games played in quaters.

On a side note: The first time and only time I officiated an electronic broadcast game was the Polish National Men's Team vs. Cleveand State Univ. in Nov. 1993. Three days later I was back to officiating women's D-III, but I was looking for those broadcast TO's, .

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio

Last edited by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.; Sun Feb 12, 2012 at 06:11pm. Reason: Corrected typo.
Old Sun Feb 12, 2012, 06:17pm
Official Forum Member

I guess I don't see the big deal about coaches being able to ask for timeouts. Most of the time, an official while be able to hear/see the request. If the coach isn't able to get our attention, then tough luck as the action on the floor is most important. He's also has players on the floor that can more easily get our attention. If a coach wants to give me lip about it, I just calmly respond why I wasn't able to acknowledge him. And I think we get an overwhelming amount of coach's request in a timely matter as is...especially if we have a good sense of game awareness.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Mon Feb 20, 2012, 08:59am
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
The Survey Period Ends March 5th

If you have not taken part, the link is in the first post.
Old Tue Feb 21, 2012, 02:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
The fact that this question is on the survey means we, as officials, are not doing our job of enforcing the rule. This was the reason that the NCAA and NFHS adopted the rule allowing the players to enter on the release a long long time ago.

The NFHS went back to the old rule because the new rule was causing rough play and we were to call fouls during rebounding action just like we would during rebounding action during FG attempts.

MTD, Sr.
I have NEVER understood why a 15 foot shot from the middle of the court would create any more "rough play" than a 15 foot shot taken from the elbow, the wing or the short corner. Why is this one 15 foot shot so special? For goodness sakes, we have up to FIVE sets of match-ups on a garden variety shot from the block, shot from the FT-line during "play", a 3-point attempt from the wing, from the top of the key or from the corner.
We can have no more than THREE under current rules on FTs. Players don't wait until the ball hits the rim before "boxing out" (non rule book term) on ANY SHOT -- except for a 15 foot shot from the middle of the court in which the defender can provide no pressure.

This rule has NEVER made sense to me and never will.....as a coach, a referee, an administrator, or as a player.....
Old Tue Feb 21, 2012, 02:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Add a timeout and you will be fine.

The game actually flows better with the two halves if you ask me.

Peace
I agree with both of these points...Game is shorter if time outs are not used....Game is same length if they are.....