NFHS | NFHS Sport Questionnaires
Open until March 5th....
Old Sat Feb 11, 2012, 02:12pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Thanks Gapper!
Old Sat Feb 11, 2012, 07:11pm
Official Forum Member

4. Permitting players in marked spaces along the free-throw lane to break the plane when the try is released (currently players are restricted until the ball hits the rim).

Odds of this coming back?
Old Sat Feb 11, 2012, 09:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB View Post
4. Permitting players in marked spaces along the free-throw lane to break the plane when the try is released (currently players are restricted until the ball hits the rim).

I hope so. Waiting until it hits the rim really gives no advantage to the players on the lower block. The middle (offensive players) seem to have the same chance to get the rebound
Old Sat Feb 11, 2012, 09:25pm
Administrator

Quote:

The fact that this question is on the survey means we, as officials, are not doing our job of enforcing the rule. This was the reason that the NCAA and NFHS adopted the rule allowing the players to enter on the release a long long time ago.

The NFHS went back to the old rule because the new rule was causing rough play and we were to call fouls during rebounding action just like we would during rebounding action during FG attempts.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sat Feb 11, 2012, 10:15pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
You'll notice that the coaches calling for a TO only during a dead ball is back. I hope the coaches are not stuffing the ballot box.
Old Sat Feb 11, 2012, 10:27pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Shooters seem more likely to get rebounds now, I'd like to see the lane restrictions end on the release.
Old Sat Feb 11, 2012, 10:44pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Shooters seem more likely to get rebounds now, I'd like to see the lane restrictions end on the release.
Both of my stints as an official have been leaving when it hits the rim. Not sure how, as lead, I would be easily able to see the shooter's release since I am focusing on the players across from me with the rim in sight. (Along with the player in the first lane space closest to me, of course). If that change is made, I will surely be coming here for advice.
Old Sat Feb 11, 2012, 10:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap View Post
Both of my stints as an official have been leaving when it hits the rim. Not sure how, as lead, I would be easily able to see the shooter's release since I am focusing on the players across from me with the rim in sight. (Along with the player in the first lane space closest to me, of course). If that change is made, I will surely be coming here for advice.
Good ole peripheral vision
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sat Feb 11, 2012, 10:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
I have mixed feelings on this. The rule is definitely not being enforced as it should. NFHS either needs to make this a serious POE or move on and change it. IMHO.
Old Sat Feb 11, 2012, 11:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by refiator View Post
I have mixed feelings on this. The rule is definitely not being enforced as it should. NFHS either needs to make this a serious POE or move on and change it. IMHO.
NFHS has made it a POE in the past. The reality of the situation is NFHS has no power to make sure this is enforced. The only thing they can do is change the rule. Just like when they changed the leaving the court for an unauthorized reason (or was it excessive swinging of the elbows?) from a T to a violation because officials weren't calling it.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Old Sat Feb 11, 2012, 11:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
NFHS has made it a POE in the past. The reality of the situation is NFHS has no power to make sure this is enforced. The only thing they can do is change the rule. Just like when they changed the leaving the court for an unauthorized reason (or was it excessive swinging of the elbows?) from a T to a violation because officials weren't calling it.
Both.

In the case of the former I know of one case where one official made this call,improperly,20 times in a game back when this was a T.
Old Sat Feb 11, 2012, 11:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Both.

In the case of the former I know of one case where one official made this call,improperly,20 times in a game back when this was a T.
Good lord!

Old Sun Feb 12, 2012, 03:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap View Post
It is really not any different than watching for it to hit the rim and watching the players. When player can enter on the release, you no longer care about the rim and can shift your focus a little more towards the shooter....maybe taking a slight closer position.
Old Sun Feb 12, 2012, 11:16am
Aleve Titles to Others

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
It is really not any different than watching for it to hit the rim and watching the players. When player can enter on the release, you no longer care about the rim and can shift your focus a little more towards the shooter....maybe taking a slight closer position.
I think they might wait another year if the mechanics manual needs an update.