The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 10, 2012, 01:16pm
Official Forum Member

Bang-bang

I had game last night where Team A milked a minute or more off the clock each possession. When they finally shot the ball & missed they pressured the defensive rebounder in the backcourt. The slow down tactic became frustrating to Team B (who was a much better team record wise & won by 4 in OT). Late in the game A2 missed a gimmie & applied too much pressure on B5. I called the foul & immediately after the whistle B5 caught him with an unintentional but "get off me" elbow in the chops. We have blood on the court & I report the foul.

As we wait for the clean up on aisle 3 my partner (DII-W) asks if I'm just calling the foul on A2 or did I think about tacking on a dead ball INT technical to B5??

Has anyone had this situation? And did you tack on the other foul?
Old Fri Feb 10, 2012, 01:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
I had game last night where Team A milked a minute or more off the clock each possession. When they finally shot the ball & missed they pressured the defensive rebounder in the backcourt. The slow down tactic became frustrating to Team B (who was a much better team record wise & won by 4 in OT). Late in the game A2 missed a gimmie & applied too much pressure on B5. I called the foul & immediately after the whistle B5 caught him with an unintentional but "get off me" elbow in the chops. We have blood on the court & I report the foul.

As we wait for the clean up on aisle 3 my partner (DII-W) asks if I'm just calling the foul on A2 or did I think about tacking on a dead ball INT technical to B5??

Was the elbow illegal? Contact even contact that draws blood, might not be illegal. But I know you know this.
Old Fri Feb 10, 2012, 01:28pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:

Sometimes when players are grabbing at arms and elbows 80 feet from the basket, a player is going to get clipped.

On another note, it amazes me how many schools are unprepared for proper blood cleanup.
Old Fri Feb 10, 2012, 01:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toren View Post
Was the elbow illegal? Contact even contact that draws blood, might not be illegal. But I know you know this.
In addition to the RA coming to a HS near you, the Feds really need to pick up the elbow above the shoulders being an INT/FF1 at the minimum.

To answer your question, if I didnt call the foul on A2 there would have been a p/c on B5 less than a second later.
Old Fri Feb 10, 2012, 01:35pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
In addition to the RA coming to a HS near you, the Feds really need to pick up the elbow above the shoulders being an INT/FF1 at the minimum.
I really want a monitor, too.
Old Fri Feb 10, 2012, 01:47pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:

No they don't.
Old Fri Feb 10, 2012, 01:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
I really want a monitor, too.
Oh what a wonderful world it would be!

Unfortunately we have to get it right in real time...
Old Fri Feb 10, 2012, 02:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
the Feds really need to pick up the elbow above the shoulders being an INT/FF1 at the minimum.
It's on the questionnaire for next year.
Old Fri Feb 10, 2012, 02:31pm
Official Forum Member

How about the monitor?
Old Fri Feb 10, 2012, 03:53pm
(Something hilarious)

Quote:

Yep. And yep. Hard to ignore/pass on or close down and talk-through an elbow that results in a bloody head/face, IMO.
Old Fri Feb 10, 2012, 04:25pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Yes I have and yes I called a T.

A few years ago when I was first starting work BV on somewhat regular basis. 2-man crew and Team B has been applying backcourt pressure on almost every possession. I'm T on the shot and new Lead on the rebound. A1 (big man) gets defensive rebound in middle of the paint and has elbows up, B1 and B2 (guards) apply immediate harassment so I stay put and referee. A1 pivots one way and gets fouled by B1. Apparently he doesn't hear the whistle and pivots back with elbow leading and connects to B2's head. He didn't swing the elbow excessively, it was part of his pivot, but it was definitely intended to keep little hands from slapping at him. If it would have been a live ball I definitely would have had a PC. B2 had heard the whistle and had relaxed and wasn't paying attention to A1's movement.

Some here may say I should have had a flagrant T. Some might say I should have had nothing. I went with intentional contact technical. Commissioner was in attendance and came in at halftime and asked about the play. He responded that he was happy with how I handled it and it was what was needed to clean up what had started to become a chippy game.
Old Fri Feb 10, 2012, 04:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Yes I have and yes I called a T.

A few years ago when I was first starting work BV on somewhat regular basis. 2-man crew and Team B has been applying backcourt pressure on almost every possession. I'm T on the shot and new Lead on the rebound. A1 (big man) gets defensive rebound in middle of the paint and has elbows up, B1 and B2 (guards) apply immediate harassment so I stay put and referee. A1 pivots one way and gets fouled by B1. Apparently he doesn't hear the whistle and pivots back with elbow leading and connects to B2's head. He didn't swing he elbow excessively, it was part of his pivot, but it was definitely intended to keep little hands from slapping at him. If it would have been a live ball I definitely would have had a PC. B2 had heard the whistle and had relaxed and wasn't paying attention to A1's movement.

Some here may say I should have had a flagrant T. Some might say I should have had nothing. I went with intentional contact technical. Commissioner was in attendance and came in at halftime and asked about the play. He responded that he was happy with how I handled it and it was what was needed to clean up what had started to become a chippy game.
Those two statements are contradictory.
Old Fri Feb 10, 2012, 04:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
By the letter of the two rules, yes. But with the judgement of the situation applied, you could easily come up with either result if you showed the same play to multiple officials.
Old Fri Feb 10, 2012, 04:34pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
If the ball were live his pivot and contact would have been a PC. No excessive swinging of the elbows. The ball was dead and as I said his movement was definitely in the MO of "beware if you get in my path". Like I said, B2 had relaxed. If B2 had being paying attention I don't think he would have gotten hit.

So if you expect me to be able to justify it by the letter of the rule book, then I possibly would lose the battle in moot court. But in the real world moment I felt alright with my call and so did my the person who gave me the game.

Last edited by Raymond; Fri Feb 10, 2012 at 04:40pm.
Old Fri Feb 10, 2012, 04:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
So if you expect me to be able to justify it by the letter of the rule book, then I possibly would lose the battle in moot court. But in the real world moment I felt alright with me call and so did my the person who gave me the game.
At the end of the day this is all that matters.

Thanks for the replies all!

I'm glad I took my partners info & tacked on the T.