The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 02, 2012, 10:13am
Official Forum Member

"control immediately based on the nature of the initial contact and the actions proceeding it"

When would you have allowed A1 or a teammate/coach to request a time-out and honor that request? That is when team-control existed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I think you mean player control.
I didn't. But they would occurr at the same instance in the OP and the sitch below.

If no team control exists for team A, the first player on team A to establish player control also establishes team control.

(Not trying to lecture, but putting my understanding out there to be corrected if needed)
Old Thu Feb 02, 2012, 10:32am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamIAm View Post
"control immediately based on the nature of the initial contact and the actions proceeding it"

When would you have allowed A1 or a teammate/coach to request a time-out and honor that request? That is when team-control existed.

I didn't. But they would occurr at the same instance in the OP and the sitch below.

If no team control exists for team A, the first player on team A to establish player control also establishes team control.

(Not trying to lecture, but putting my understanding out there to be corrected if needed)
The reason I questioned your phrase-ology is b/c you're discussing granting a time-out. When the ball is live but the clock is not running then merely having team control is sufficient to be granted a time-out. But when the ball is live and the clock in running then player control is needed.

Last edited by Raymond; Thu Feb 02, 2012 at 10:35am.
Old Thu Feb 02, 2012, 10:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
There's nothing magical about sliding and ending the slide. If he has both hands on it and the ball isn't rolling, then he is holding the ball.

In your OP, A1 had player control and team A had team control when A1 had the ball in the BC.

The ball gained FC status.

A2 bats the ball and it gains BC status.

If you deemed the bat a dribble, it's a BC violation.

If you judged the first touch was not a dribble (no player control), then it's a BC violation if A2 next touches the ball again.
BBR, Please see Camron's post, #38. It can't be a bcv when the ball hits the bc, from a bat, or a perceived "start of a dribble", because the bat occurs before the ball touches the backcourt, and a violation occurs for being the first to touch the ball, after the ball gains backcourt status. IOW, the bat that causes the ball to touch the backcourt, is only that. It's the touch, when the ball bounces up, and again, touches the hand of the player, which occurs after the ball gains backcourt status, that constitutes a bcv.

Last edited by Rob1968; Thu Feb 02, 2012 at 10:50am. Reason: sentence structure
Old Thu Feb 02, 2012, 10:52am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
The four criteria for a backcourt violation (NCAA and NFHS):

1. Team control (and initial player control when coming from a throw-in)
2. Ball achieves a front court status
3. Team in control is last to touch the ball before the ball achieves a backcourt status
4. Team in control is the first to touch the ball after the ball achieves a backcourt status.

A2 didn't need to establish player control. As soon as A2 touched the ball, he gave the ball frontcourt status. We still have team control because TC continues during passing activity. A2 then was the first to touched the ball after it gained a backcourt status (by virtue of batting the ball to the division line), and was the first to touch the ball after it achieved a backcourt status.
Quote:
The reason I questioned your phrase-ology is b/c you're discussing granting a time-out. When the ball is live but the clock is not running then merely having team control is sufficient to be granted a time-out. But when the ball is live and the clock in running then player control is needed.

That, and in the OP, team control had already been established in the BC.
Old Thu Feb 02, 2012, 11:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Huh? The only examples of "live ball, clock not running" I can think of are on a throw-in (no TC), FT (TC, but also PC), or jump ball (no TC).

A TO can be granted when there's PC or the ball is "at the disposal" of the team. TC does not enter into it (other than PC also causes TC).

Maybe I'm missing something.
Old Thu Feb 02, 2012, 11:38am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Disposal now equals TC as well. Maybe that's what he meant.
Old Thu Feb 02, 2012, 01:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
There's nothing magical about sliding and ending the slide. If he has both hands on it and the ball isn't rolling, then he is holding the ball.
No there is nothing magical about sliding, or dribbling either for that matter. My point is I don't think PC can be determined by looking at a still snap shot that encompases only that exact moment in time. PC is determined by a sequence of events that when put together give you a full picture. In the situation I had it was not possible to determin control until after the second and subsequent dribbles occured, however once they did it was easy to say she gained control with the first dribble.

The same is true if she would have caugth the ball with two hands. A player can momentarily secure or stop the momentum of the ball with two hands on either side it. What follows will determin if the player has control. The player can either continue to demonstrate control over the ball by raising it above thier heads and holding it away from the defense, or the player can have the ball immediately squirt out of their hands.

In the former you have PC, in the latter you dont, but both would look identical if you froze action when they first placed two hands on the opposit sides of the ball. It's the action prior to, and after the instant of that first touch that determins PC.
Old Thu Feb 02, 2012, 02:36pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Huh? The only examples of "live ball, clock not running" I can think of are on a throw-in (no TC), FT (TC, but also PC), or jump ball (no TC).

A TO can be granted when there's PC or the ball is "at the disposal" of the team. TC does not enter into it (other than PC also causes TC).

Maybe I'm missing something.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Disposal now equals TC as well. Maybe that's what he meant.
Snaqs, you are wise beyond your years. That's what I meant. No PC when the ball is at the disposal of the thrower-in but there is TC.

Even though I forgot to include there is one exception to "TC, live ball, clock not running" for which we can't grant a time-out, which is after the throw-in has been released but before it has been legally touched.
Old Thu Feb 02, 2012, 02:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Even though I forgot to include there is one exception to "TC, live ball, clock not running" for which we can't grant a time-out, which is after the throw-in has been released but before it has been legally touched.
Which is why your method of trying to discern between when to use PC and when to use TC is confusing (to me).

Just go by the PC or disposal, all the time.
Old Thu Feb 02, 2012, 02:45pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Snaqs, you are wise beyond your years.
You take that back; I'm no Yankee fan regardless of what you've been told.
Old Thu Feb 02, 2012, 02:59pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Which is why your method of trying to discern between when to use PC and when to use TC is confusing (to me).

Just go by the PC or disposal, all the time.
Or that.

But my original statement had context in that I responding to someone who was talking about TC in regards to granting a time-out.
Old Thu Feb 02, 2012, 06:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1968 View Post
BBR, Please see Camron's post, #38. It can't be a bcv when the ball hits the bc, from a bat, or a perceived "start of a dribble", because the bat occurs before the ball touches the backcourt, and a violation occurs for being the first to touch the ball, after the ball gains backcourt status. IOW, the bat that causes the ball to touch the backcourt, is only that. It's the touch, when the ball bounces up, and again, touches the hand of the player, which occurs after the ball gains backcourt status, that constitutes a bcv.
Sorry but I don't agree with that interpretation. Player control exists so when a player in his FC steps on the line, it's a violation whether he's touching the ball or not. If he dribbles the ball on the line, it's no different. I have a BC violation.

You're welcome to another interpretation if you like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffman View Post
No there is nothing magical about sliding, or dribbling either for that matter. My point is I don't think PC can be determined by looking at a still snap shot that encompases only that exact moment in time. PC is determined by a sequence of events that when put together give you a full picture. In the situation I had it was not possible to determin control until after the second and subsequent dribbles occured, however once they did it was easy to say she gained control with the first dribble.

The same is true if she would have caugth the ball with two hands. A player can momentarily secure or stop the momentum of the ball with two hands on either side it. What follows will determin if the player has control. The player can either continue to demonstrate control over the ball by raising it above thier heads and holding it away from the defense, or the player can have the ball immediately squirt out of their hands.

In the former you have PC, in the latter you dont, but both would look identical if you froze action when they first placed two hands on the opposit sides of the ball. It's the action prior to, and after the instant of that first touch that determins PC.
I disagree.

Based on your description, one dribble would never be a dribble.

Further, just because a player controls the ball and then loses control doesn't mean they never controlled it.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith

Last edited by BktBallRef; Thu Feb 02, 2012 at 07:10pm.
Old Thu Feb 02, 2012, 07:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Sorry but I don't agree with that interpretation. Player control exists so when a player in his FC steps on the line, it's a violation whether he's touching the ball or not. If he dribbles the ball on the line, it's no different. I have a BC violation.
Perhaps the same concept is intended to apply at the division line. However, the only rule close to that is one regarding OOB. It doesn't mention the division line or imply that it should be used elsewhere.
Old Thu Feb 02, 2012, 10:58pm
C'mon man!!

Quote:

You're welcome to another interpretation if you like.

So if A1 is in the front court and throws the ball into the backcourt you would call a BC violation as soon as it hits the backcourt? If the ball hits the line but the player never touches it again it can't be a BC violation.
Old Fri Feb 03, 2012, 12:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I disagree.

Based on your description, one dribble would never be a dribble.

Further, just because a player controls the ball and then loses control doesn't mean they never controlled it.
Not true. I have on many occasions called a player for a double dribble after they have gained control of a lose ball using a dribble, caught it with two hands, and attempted to dribble again. It's all about judgement, and I feel in some cases a play needs to develop before you can ascertain player control.