The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 27, 2012, 07:32pm
Official Forum Member

LGP grants the right to move and jump. Without it a player doesn't have the right to do either when contact occurs. Here is the rule on verticality...
Verticality applies to a legal position. Following are the basic components of the principle of verticality:
ART. 1 . . . Legal guarding position must be obtained initially and movement thereafter must be legal.
ART. 2 . . . From this position, the defender may rise or jump vertically and occupy the space within his/her vertical plane.
ART. 3 . . . The hands and arms of the defender may be raised within his/her vertical plane while on the floor or in the air.
So, until they have LGP, they may have a legal spot by getting there first but when they jump without having LGP, they forfeit the right to their spot....in a sense, they're moving to a new spot above the one they started from and the verticality rule doesn't allow them to do so.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Fri Jan 27, 2012 at 07:35pm.
Old Fri Jan 27, 2012, 07:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
P

LGP offers protection to moving defenders. A stationary defender is entitled to his spot on the floor (and the vertical space above it) regardless of whether he has LGP.
Actually, he/she isn't. He/She is only entitled to the space above if he/she has LGP.
Old Fri Jan 27, 2012, 11:26pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
So, until they have LGP, they may have a legal spot by getting there first but when they jump without having LGP, they forfeit the right to their spot....in a sense, they're moving to a new spot above the one they started from and the verticality rule doesn't allow them to do so.
Hmmm, then let's try this.

A-1 is guarded by B-2, who is in the lane and facing A-1 (has LGP).

A-1 passes to A-3, who drives and goes airborne. B-2, who is not facing A-3 but remains on his spot, jumps straight up. There is body contact between A-3 and B-2. Blocking foul?
Old Fri Jan 27, 2012, 11:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
This is spot on with my thinking of the rule.
And me.
Old Sat Jan 28, 2012, 12:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Actually, he/she isn't. He/She is only entitled to the space above if he/she has LGP.
You're talking about jumping. I didn't mention jumping.
Old Sat Jan 28, 2012, 12:14am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
.....when they jump without having LGP, they forfeit the right to their spot....in a sense, they're moving to a new spot above the one they started from and the verticality rule doesn't allow them to do so.

Player A1 catches a pass near 3 point line, and squares up to shoot. B1 arrives too late to contest the shot, so he takes a position in front of A1 with his back to him intending to box him out. He turns to see A1 still holding the ball, looking into the post. He jumps straight up with his hands up, hoping to deflect the pass. A1 puts the ball on the floor and plows into B1's back. Ruling: blocking foul on B1

not bloody likely

Lonesome Dove
Old Sat Jan 28, 2012, 03:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You're talking about jumping. I didn't mention jumping.
Nah, here is what you said...

Quote:
A stationary defender is entitled to his spot on the floor (and the vertical space above it) regardless of whether he has LGP.
The verticality rule says that must have LGP to have the right to the space above them....whether by jumping or raising their arms.
Old Sat Jan 28, 2012, 03:51am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
The verticality rule says that must have LGP to have the right to the space above them....whether by jumping or raising their arms.
How is that the case? Rebounding we do not require a player to have LGP to be legal on contact in other cases? Where does it say there must be LGP for verticality?

Peace
Old Sat Jan 28, 2012, 04:16am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:

It also says: The player with the ball is to be given no more protection or consideration than the defender........

Lonesome Dove
Old Sat Jan 28, 2012, 05:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
How is that the case? Rebounding we do not require a player to have LGP to be legal on contact in other cases? Where does it say there must be LGP for verticality?

Peace
As I posted in post #16....Not facing the opponent
Rule 4-45 VERTICALITY
Verticality applies to a legal position. Following are the basic components of the principle of verticality:
ART. 1 . . . Legal guarding position must be obtained initially and movement thereafter must be legal.

I believe the difference is that it is not the same between defending/guarding and rebounding and that, in the case of rebounding, the initial requirements are not LGP but a legal rebounding position as established in 4-37...and it is not the same as LGP, it is much less restrictive.

The rights of verticality come into play only when the relevant legal position is obtained.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Sat Jan 28, 2012 at 05:25am.
Old Sat Jan 28, 2012, 01:57pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
As I posted in post #16....Not facing the opponent
Rule 4-45 VERTICALITY

I believe the difference is that it is not the same between defending/guarding and rebounding and that, in the case of rebounding, the initial requirements are not LGP but a legal rebounding position as established in 4-37...and it is not the same as LGP, it is much less restrictive.

The rights of verticality come into play only when the relevant legal position is obtained.
I misspoke a little in my question. What I really meant to say was where does it say that all contact with a player involve all players to gain LGP? There are case plays and interpretations in the S&I books or pictures that show the NF wants a foul on players that run over players that are not facing them. I do not see any examples where someone is called for this just because they did not once face the player with the ball? And verticality is not just about someone jumping it is about staying in your vertical plane.

Peace
Old Sat Jan 28, 2012, 02:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I misspoke a little in my question. What I really meant to say was where does it say that all contact with a player involve all players to gain LGP? There are case plays and interpretations in the S&I books or pictures that show the NF wants a foul on players that run over players that are not facing them. I do not see any examples where someone is called for this just because they did not once face the player with the ball?
Fully stationary players, yes. But not moving/jumping.

Quote:
And verticality is not just about someone jumping it is about staying in your vertical plane.

Peace
Indeed, but you can't take advantage of verticality (by either raising arms or jumping) until the requirements of verticality are met (LGP when defending, or legal rebounding position if rebounding).
Old Sat Jan 28, 2012, 02:29pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Fully stationary players, yes. But not moving/jumping.

Indeed, but you can't take advantage of verticality (by either raising arms or jumping) until the requirements of verticality are met (LGP when defending, or legal rebounding position if rebounding).
Thanks, Camron. The rule says players are entitled to their spot "on the playing floor." Not in the air.
Old Sat Jan 28, 2012, 02:31pm
We don't rent pigs

If a player is stationary, then jumps or raises his arms in his own vertical plane, he can't possibly contact anyone unless that player leaves his own vertical plane. Then what?

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Jan 29, 2012, 12:04am
Back from the DL

Quote:
So, are you saying, if you're not facing the ball handler (and therefore don't have LGP), you don't have the rights to verticality, that if you jump straight up, and contact takes place (assuming it's not a stiff-arm or elbow from the shooter), this would be a blocking foul?