The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 29, 2012, 01:10pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Occupy Jump Balls ....

(Mark T. DeNucci, Sr., Do Not Read)

Girls varsity prep school game. My partner, a veteran who's been officiating for forty-five years, is the referee in a two person game.

It's the start of the game. He has already checked to make sure that the jumpers are facing the correct baskets, and he has already checked with the "speaking" captains if they are ready to play. So we're all set to go, and he moves toward the center of the circle, and is about to make the toss, when one of the coaches instructs his players to change positions with a teammate. One player starts to move onto the circle, and the other starts to move off the circle, with their two opponents following them.

As the umpire, I immediately think,"S*it. What's the rule? Do I wait until the toss is made and call a violation? Do I call the violation now? Is it a double violation? Is it a violation? Just let it go, since I'm not 100% sure about the rule?"

Luckily, my partner, with a cooler head than me, he has less hair, backs away from the circle and has everybody reset, he tosses the ball, and we go on our merry way.

All you veteran Forum members have heard this spiel from me before. No more jump balls. Start the game with a coin flip, or with the visitors getting possession first.

And I know that I should have known the rules better than I did in this game. Back before that alternating possession arrow, when we had several jump balls a game, at three different circles, between any two players, not just the tallest ones, when coaches had a few jump ball plays, I knew these rules like the back of my hand. I could quote them in my sleep. Now, with, usually, one jump ball a game, I just assume, wrongly, that the ball will get tossed, everybody will obey the rules, and we'll get the game started.

OK. I've said my piece. I've had my catharsis. Now, could someone please help me down from this soapbox so that I don't hurt myself. I'm not as young as I used to be. And after I read my Sunday paper, I'll take out the old rulebook and study up on the many jump ball rules. Fool me once. Shame on me. Fool me twice. Shame on me, again.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Jan 29, 2012 at 01:19pm.
Old Sun Jan 29, 2012, 02:51pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
(Mark T. DeNucci, Sr., Do Not Read)

Girls varsity prep school game. My partner, a veteran who's been officiating for forty-five years, is the referee in a two person game.

It's the start of the game. He has already checked to make sure that the jumpers are facing the correct baskets, and he has already checked with the "speaking" captains if they are ready to play. So we're all set to go, and he moves toward the center of the circle, and is about to make the toss, when one of the coaches instructs his players to change positions with a teammate. One player starts to move onto the circle, and the other starts to move off the circle, with their two opponents following them.

As the umpire, I immediately think,"S*it. What's the rule? Do I wait until the toss is made and call a violation? Do I call the violation now? Is it a double violation? Is it a violation? Just let it go, since I'm not 100% sure about the rule?"

Luckily, my partner, with a cooler head than me, he has less hair, backs away from the circle and has everybody reset, he tosses the ball, and we go on our merry way.

All you veteran Forum members have heard this spiel from me before. No more jump balls. Start the game with a coin flip, or with the visitors getting possession first.

And I know that I should have known the rules better than I did in this game. Back before that alternating possession arrow, when we had several jump balls a game, at three different circles, between any two players, not just the tallest ones, when coaches had a few jump ball plays, I knew these rules like the back of my hand. I could quote them in my sleep. Now, with, usually, one jump ball a game, I just assume, wrongly, that the ball will get tossed, everybody will obey the rules, and we'll get the game started.

OK. I've said my piece. I've had my catharsis. Now, could someone please help me down from this soapbox so that I don't hurt myself. I'm not as young as I used to be. And after I read my Sunday paper, I'll take out the old rulebook and study up on the many jump ball rules. Fool me once. Shame on me. Fool me twice. Shame on me, again.

Billy:

See NFHS R6-S3-A2a and Casebook Play R6.S3.A2(a) and (b). NCAA Rules are identical.

In your play you had a double violation (Situation (b) in the Casebook Play) and as the U you are responsible for making the call. Since the double violation occurred before the AP Arrow had been initially set, play is resumed with a Jump Ball, . The new Jump Ball is between A2 and B2 who violated NFHS R6-S3-2a, per NFHS Casebook Play R6.S4.A1 SITUATION C(b).

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sun Jan 29, 2012, 03:20pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Shut Up ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
Blah, Blah, Blah, Yada, Yada, Yada.
Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.: Just exactly what part of "Mark T. DeNucci, Sr., Do Not Read" in my original post did you not understand?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Jan 29, 2012 at 03:22pm.
Old Sun Jan 29, 2012, 06:44pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
Billy:

See NFHS R6-S3-A2a and Casebook Play R6.S3.A2(a) and (b). NCAA Rules are identical.

In your play you had a double violation (Situation (b) in the Casebook Play) and as the U you are responsible for making the call. Since the double violation occurred before the AP Arrow had been initially set, play is resumed with a Jump Ball, . The new Jump Ball is between A2 and B2 who violated NFHS R6-S3-2a, per NFHS Casebook Play R6.S4.A1 SITUATION C(b).

MTD, Sr.
In NCAA any 2 players may jump.
Old Sun Jan 29, 2012, 07:11pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
In NCAA any 2 players may jump.

Shame on me! I forgot that the NCAA changed that part of the rule with the start of the 2010-11 season (see NCAA R6-S2-A3).

MTD< Sr.
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sun Jan 29, 2012, 07:12pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.: Just exactly what part of "Mark T. DeNucci, Sr., Do Not Read" in my original post did you not understand?

Billy:

No speak English, only Mathematics.

MTD, Sr.
Toledo, Ohio