The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 01, 2012, 02:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Yeah, players are intuitive enough to get out of the way.
Agreed, but I work a lot of 1A and 2A girls ball, and even at the varsity level it seems there are one or two girls on the floor at all times for various reasons. I encounter contact with a player on the floor serval times a season so it does come up. I'm curious on your view changes is a situation in which...

A1 is an airborn shooter and comes into contact with, and is put at a disadvantage by, B1 who is getting up off the floor after ending up there for God knows what reason. We don't have a legal guarding position, and the player isn't stationary despite remaining in the general space on the floor they occupy. Would you then have a block?
Old Wed Feb 01, 2012, 02:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I only disagree with your last part. I'm not going to let a player land on opponent here without a foul call. That's just dangerous. By landing on the defender, he's preventing him from being able to get up. RSBQ are not rule terms, they are only measuring sticks for deciding whether contact has exceeded the boundaries of incidental. If A1 lands on B1's chest (or back), he is (in my view) preventing B1 from participating in normal offensive or defensive movements.
But in the play the defender flopped (according to some) and had taken himself out of the play and is already no longer participating in normal movement.
Old Wed Feb 01, 2012, 02:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7IronRef View Post
But in the play the defender flopped (according to some) and had taken himself out of the play and is already no longer participating in normal movement.
That seems to be the source of the division.

In my view if a B1 flops to try and draw a call and while on the floor causes a disadvantage to A(1-5) then I'm likely to call B1 for a foul as the floor isn't a LGP and it's his own damn fault he's on the floor.
Old Wed Feb 01, 2012, 02:53pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffman View Post
Agreed, but I work a lot of 1A and 2A girls ball, and even at the varsity level it seems there are one or two girls on the floor at all times for various reasons. I encounter contact with a player on the floor serval times a season so it does come up. I'm curious on your view changes is a situation in which...

A1 is an airborn shooter and comes into contact with, and is put at a disadvantage by, B1 who is getting up off the floor after ending up there for God knows what reason. We don't have a legal guarding position, and the player isn't stationary despite remaining in the general space on the floor they occupy. Would you then have a block?
Probably. I was about to make an argument that the player has not lost LGP, but I'm not sure what I think about that yet. (what has a player on the floor done to lose LGP?) If a player without LGP is rising into a defender, it's likely a block. But, that said, that's only if the contact wouldn't have happened without the attempt to get up. If A1 is landing on B1 regardless, it's a charge.

Quote:
If you think the player tried to fake a foul, warn or call the T. Otherwise, he got to the floor legally.
Old Wed Feb 01, 2012, 02:56pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:

In my view if a B1 flops to try and draw a call and while on the floor causes a disadvantage to A(1-5) then I'm likely to call B1 for a foul as the floor isn't a LGP and it's his own damn fault he's on the floor.
My biggest issue here is the continued reference to LGP for a stationary player. LGP isn't required for 4-23-1 "Every player is entitled to a spot on the floor provided such player gets there first without illegally contacting an opponent."
Old Wed Feb 01, 2012, 03:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
My biggest issue here is the continued reference to LGP for a stationary player. LGP isn't required for 4-23-1 "Every player is entitled to a spot on the floor provided such player gets there first without illegally contacting an opponent."
Yes, I understand that, poor choice of words.

In all this hypothetical stuff of landing on peoples chest etc we've lost what usually happens in cases like this which is...

A1 is driving, B1 establishes LGP and positions himself between A1 and the bucket. B1 anticipating (and not looking forward to) the contact and trying to draw a charge goes to the ground (straight backward) and A1 gets into B1 laying on the ground despite not getting contact, and now A1 goes down in a heap and I've got to come up with something.

In that situation I almost never reward the defense. I understand they don't have to just stand there and take the full brunt of the charge but they also can't get rewarded for bailing and causing a mess.
Old Wed Feb 01, 2012, 03:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Agreed
Old Wed Feb 01, 2012, 03:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Ok
Fast break situation near midcourt line. Defender is 2 or 3 steps ahead, lays down and creates a 6'4" speed bump, offense side steps but their foot makes contact with the speed bumps foot and trips falling to the floor, losing possession and breaks their wrist....LGP according to you....CHARGE? Oh yea and technically they can rise within their vertical plane.

I just don't buy your interpretation

Every coach in the world will stop telling their kids to stand in and draw a charge, they'll say hurry up and lay down to draw a charge

Last edited by 7IronRef; Wed Feb 01, 2012 at 03:26pm.
Old Wed Feb 01, 2012, 03:38pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Ok
Fast break situation near midcourt line. Defender is 2 or 3 steps ahead, lays down and creates a 6'4" speed bump, offense side steps but their foot makes contact with the speed bumps foot and trips falling to the floor, losing possession and breaks their wrist....LGP according to you....CHARGE? Oh yea and technically they can rise within their vertical plane.

Every coach in the world will stop telling their kids to stand in and draw a charge, they'll say hurry up and lay down to draw a charge
Why do you keep using the phrase LGP? It's been pointed out several times that in NFHS every player is entitled to their spot on the floor. If B1 is laying on the floor and A1 comes to B1 and trips over him it's not a foul b/c B1 was entitled to that spot on the floor. LGP has nothing to do with it.

In NCAA it would be a foul on the defender.
Old Wed Feb 01, 2012, 03:39pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Ok

No, they won't, because it's horrible defense. Don't be ridiculous. That speed bump isn't 6'4" high, it's about 6-8" high. Every player I've seen over the age of 10 can easily avoid that.

That said, I'll say it again, discussing LGP is irrelevant and my main hang up on this. LGP is not required for a stationary player, but it is required for a player rising into an opponent.

1. If I think the player was faking a foul, I'm calling the T here for safety reasons. It's the right call by rule.
2. Some propose calling the block for safety reasons if he fakes being fouled. But at least they don't pretend it's within the rules; it's a game management call. Sort of like giving the ball to the "wrong" team in an OOB play because the "right" team committed a minor foul. Outside the rule, but expected in some locales.
3. If the player isn't faking, he hasn't done anything illegal, and it's a no-call if A1 simply trips over him. I don't have to call a foul just because a player gets injured. Sometimes it's the injured player's fault.
Old Wed Feb 01, 2012, 03:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Why do you keep using the phrase LGP? It's been pointed out several times that in NFHS every player is entitled to their spot on the floor. If B1 is laying on the floor and A1 comes to B1 and trips over him it's not a foul b/c B1 was entitled to that spot on the floor. LGP has nothing to do with it.

In NCAA it would be a foul on the defender.
Ok take LGP out of it. Again, it is not a normal part of the game, but yet the insistence is that contact as a result of a defensive player being prone is the fault of the offense.
Old Wed Feb 01, 2012, 04:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Ok take LGP out of it. Again, it is not a normal part of the game, but yet the insistence is that contact as a result of a defensive player being prone is the fault of the offense.
Players fall to the floor all the time (especially girls). So, it is part of the game. It sounds to me that most are saying, according to NFHS rules, it is more incidental contact than anything else. All things being equal.
Old Wed Feb 01, 2012, 04:20pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
That's what the NFHS has ruled. I like the college rule better but I have to adhere to the rules of whichever particular game I am officiating that day.