Thread: Charge???
View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 01, 2012, 03:39pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7IronRef View Post
Ok
Fast break situation near midcourt line. Defender is 2 or 3 steps ahead, lays down and creates a 6'4" speed bump, offense side steps but their foot makes contact with the speed bumps foot and trips falling to the floor, losing possession and breaks their wrist....LGP according to you....CHARGE? Oh yea and technically they can rise within their vertical plane.

I just don't buy your interpretation

Every coach in the world will stop telling their kids to stand in and draw a charge, they'll say hurry up and lay down to draw a charge
No, they won't, because it's horrible defense. Don't be ridiculous. That speed bump isn't 6'4" high, it's about 6-8" high. Every player I've seen over the age of 10 can easily avoid that.

That said, I'll say it again, discussing LGP is irrelevant and my main hang up on this. LGP is not required for a stationary player, but it is required for a player rising into an opponent.

1. If I think the player was faking a foul, I'm calling the T here for safety reasons. It's the right call by rule.
2. Some propose calling the block for safety reasons if he fakes being fouled. But at least they don't pretend it's within the rules; it's a game management call. Sort of like giving the ball to the "wrong" team in an OOB play because the "right" team committed a minor foul. Outside the rule, but expected in some locales.
3. If the player isn't faking, he hasn't done anything illegal, and it's a no-call if A1 simply trips over him. I don't have to call a foul just because a player gets injured. Sometimes it's the injured player's fault.