The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 01, 2012, 01:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
I agree with your take on the video. B1 undercuts A1. That said, I'm not going to ask a player to stop breathing to avoid a foul. Essentially, he gets the same movements we'd allow a player on the court without LGP. Entitled to his spot on the playing court, as long as he doesn't do anything to change or extend that spot, he's legal.
Fair enough, and interesting debate to be sure.
Old Wed Feb 01, 2012, 01:12pm
Official Forum Member

Duff & Snaqs

If I am following the point you two are discussing, once the player flops to the floor, that player no longer has LGP (LGP = 2 feet on the floor, facing an opponent).

I agree with Duff, that the player laying on the floor can be charged with a foul.
Old Wed Feb 01, 2012, 01:25pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7IronRef View Post
If I am following the point you two are discussing, once the player flops to the floor, that player no longer has LGP (LGP = 2 feet on the floor, facing an opponent).

I agree with Duff, that the player laying on the floor can be charged with a foul.
First of all, 2 feet and facing are not required to maintain LGP; only to establish.

Second of all:
NFHS: Even if he hasn't maintained LGP, he doesn't need it if he's not moving.
Old Wed Feb 01, 2012, 01:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

If B1 is facing the stands and picking his nose, he also doesn't have LGP. That doesn't mean that if A1 runs into B1, the foul is (automatically) on B1.
Old Wed Feb 01, 2012, 01:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Thanks for taking my side, but to nitpick a player must ESTABLISH a LGP with 2 feet on the floor while facing an opponent, but once it's established a player can maintain a LGP with no feet on the floor (jumping vertically) or even facing a different direction (turning his/her shoulders to protect from an impact on a charge).

Here's a hypothetical.

A1 beats B1 off the dribble and drives to the bucket. A secondary defender B2 steps into the path of A1 and stops without facing A1 (he could be perpendicular or in a box out reboudning position). A1 shots the ball and as an air born shooter lands on B2 (who was stationary prior to the beggining of the attempt). Am I correct to rule this a blocking fould because B2 never established a LGP by facing the opponent?
Old Wed Feb 01, 2012, 01:28pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffman View Post
Thanks for taking my side, but to nitpick a player must ESTABLISH a LGP with 2 feet on the floor while facing an opponent, but once it's established a player can maintain a LGP with no feet on the floor (jumping vertically) or even facing a different direction (turning his/her shoulders to protect from an impact on a charge).

Here's a hypothetical.

A1 beats B1 off the dribble and drives to the bucket. A secondary defender B2 steps into the path of A1 and stops without facing A1 (he could be perpendicular or in a box out reboudning position). A1 shots the ball and as an air born shooter lands on B2 (who was stationary prior to the beggining of the attempt). Am I correct to rule this a blocking fould because B2 never established a LGP by facing the opponent?
No.

LGP is not required for 4-23-1
Old Wed Feb 01, 2012, 01:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffman View Post

Here's a hypothetical.

Ok, here's another one.

The defender is laying on the floor, the offense rebounds their own shot in a crowd of people, jumps, shoots, and then lands on the prone defender...are you telling me that this is now consideration for a charge?

Coach: How can that be?
Ref: He took it in the chest, coach
Coach: He was laying on the ground!
Ref: He got there first, estbalished LGP.
Coach: LGP huh? Ok guys, everyone lay on the floor near the basket and let them try to shoot lay ups

Come on now
Old Wed Feb 01, 2012, 01:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Ok, here's another one.

The defender is laying on the floor, the offense rebounds their own shot in a crowd of people, jumps, shoots, and then lands on the prone defender...are you telling me that this is now consideration for a charge?

Coach: LGP huh? Ok guys, everyone lay on the floor near the basket and let them try to shoot lay ups

Come on now
Interesting... and bonus points for the laughs.
Old Wed Feb 01, 2012, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Changing positions in relation to the floor. Rolling, trying to get up, stretching out the arms or legs, etc.

What Do You Have
This has already been discussed in the thread Snaq's has given you.
If an offensive player crashes into a stationary defender, what has the defensive player done wrong to result in a foul? In NFHS this is the same even if he is on the ground.
Old Wed Feb 01, 2012, 01:40pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

LGP is not required for a stationary player to draw a charge. Yes, if a shooter lands on a stationary defender's chest, when he's lying on the floor relatively still, I'm calling a charge. Not that difficult, and if the coach wants to be an arse about it (they always do on offensive fouls), we can shoot free throws because I have no problem writing reports at night.
Old Wed Feb 01, 2012, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Ok, here's another one.

Come on now
If the player got to his spot before the shooter became airborne then by rule you cannot call a block. However if the the contact of falling on the player did not impede his rhythm, speed, balance, or quickness of being on the ground I would have a no call or Charge. (Again, NFHS)
Old Wed Feb 01, 2012, 01:48pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserkBBK View Post
If the player got to his spot before the shooter became airborne then by rule you cannot call a block. However if the the contact of falling on the player did not impede his rhythm, speed, balance, or quickness of being on the ground I would have a no call or Charge. (Again, NFHS)
I only disagree with your last part. I'm not going to let a player land on opponent here without a foul call. That's just dangerous. By landing on the defender, he's preventing him from being able to get up. RSBQ are not rule terms, they are only measuring sticks for deciding whether contact has exceeded the boundaries of incidental. If A1 lands on B1's chest (or back), he is (in my view) preventing B1 from participating in normal offensive or defensive movements.
Old Wed Feb 01, 2012, 01:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I only disagree with your last part. I'm not going to let a player land on opponent here without a foul call. That's just dangerous. By landing on the defender, he's preventing him from being able to get up. RSBQ are not rule terms, they are only measuring sticks for deciding whether contact has exceeded the boundaries of incidental. If A1 lands on B1's chest (or back), he is (in my view) preventing B1 from participating in normal offensive or defensive movements.
Agreed. Playing this in my head, a player that is just on the ground and gets jumped on will get a whistle in his favor from me. Pretty weird play that I have not had yet
Old Wed Feb 01, 2012, 02:15pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Agreed. Playing this in my head, a player that is just on the ground and gets jumped on will get a whistle in his favor from me. Pretty weird play that I have not had yet
Yeah, players are intuitive enough to get out of the way.
Old Wed Feb 01, 2012, 02:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Balance is greatly affected when landing on someone

Last edited by 7IronRef; Wed Feb 01, 2012 at 02:41pm.