The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 25, 2012, 02:31pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
Before we get into silly semantics, I *always* have the authority to have someone removed from the gym if I need to. Does anyone really question that?
Thank you.
Old Wed Jan 25, 2012, 02:48pm
We don't rent pigs

The point is first that you really don't. If the situation arises that a person needs to be removed, hopefully game management will back you.

"I want that guy removed."

"I'll take care of it. I'll talk to him."

Then what?

Second, and applicable here, hopefully we don't ask for removal unless a person's actions are waaaaay out of line. A dunk in warmups does not meet this description, particularly if that dunker was out there with the blessing of the coach.

Lonesome Dove
Old Wed Jan 25, 2012, 02:50pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
Second, and applicable here, hopefully we don't ask for removal unless a person's actions are waaaaay out of line. A dunk in warmups does not meet this description, particularly if that dunker was out there with the blessing of the coach.
If he is out there with the blessing of the coach then the proper penalty would be a T, correct?
Old Wed Jan 25, 2012, 02:53pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
If he is out there with the blessing of the coach then the proper penalty would be a T, correct?
It would be for me.

Lonesome Dove
Old Wed Jan 25, 2012, 02:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Where do you get the authority to toss anyone from the gym?
Really?

I guess we can't personally toss them but we can and do hold the game until game management has done so...which is effectively the same thing.
Old Wed Jan 25, 2012, 02:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The point is first that you really don't. If the situation arises that a person needs to be removed, hopefully game management will back you.

Then what?
We don't start until he's gone.
Old Wed Jan 25, 2012, 02:56pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Really?

I guess we can't personally toss them but we can and do hold the game until game management has done so...which is effectively the same thing.
As it should be. But what about the extreme example? What about an official who wants to eject the player's mother for stepping onto the court to check on an injured player as he lies motionless?

There are exceptions to everything.

Lonesome Dove
Old Wed Jan 25, 2012, 04:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
There are exceptions to everything.
OK, what's the exception to that?
Old Wed Jan 25, 2012, 05:00pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:

Then what?

If I ask for removal and the game management refuses, *we don't play*. Like I said, silly semantics.
Old Wed Jan 25, 2012, 05:40pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Agree To Disagree ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
Bench personnel are all individuals who are part of or affiliated with a team, including, but not limited to: substitutes, coaches, manager(s) and statistician(s). During an intermission, all team members are bench personnel for the purpose of penalizing unsporting behavior.
The head coach is responsible for his/her own conduct and behavior, as well as substitutes, disqualified team members and all other bench personnel. Bench personnel, including the head coach, shall not: Commit an unsporting foul. This includes, but is not limited to, acts: Grasping either basket except to prevent injury; dunking or stuffing, or attempting to dunk or stuff a dead ball.

Good citation from rockyroad. Bench personnel are "part of, or affiliated with a team". The crux of this thread is, what does it mean to be "part of, or affiliated with a team" ? Note that is says "a" team, singular, not "teams", plural. Many of us, including me, believe that there are six teams when we walk into a site, freshman, junior varsity, and varsity, home, and visitors. Others, like rockyroad, believe that there are only two teams there, home and visitors. We can debate this until the cows come home to roost, but unless we get an interpretation from the NFHS, or from our various state interscholastic sports governing bodies, then we're going to have to agree to disagree.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Jan 25, 2012 at 05:54pm.
Old Wed Jan 25, 2012, 09:20pm
Administrator

Once again, let us get back on point.

Billy, Camron, and a few others are staying on point, the Original Play involves a player wearing a Varsity uniform participating in the Jr. Varsity warmups. We are NOT discussing fans being on the court and dunking the ball. Fans are NOT Bench Personnel; if a fan comes onto the court and dunks the ball, get game management to take care of business; this is not a TF.

I would suggest that my post (#83 on Page #6 of this thread) explains best how to handle the OP being discussed.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Thu Jan 26, 2012, 05:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
Obviously you aren't familiar with 4-34, or you wouldn't be putting anything in your reply about their name being on a sheet...4-34 says nothing about a name having to be on a sheet.

What it does say is: ART. 2 . . . Bench personnel are all individuals who are part of or affiliated with a team, including, but not limited to: substitutes, coaches, manager(s) and statistician(s). During an intermission, all team members are bench personnel for the purpose of penalizing unsporting behavior.

So...since this OP was during an intermission, and the kid was dressed as a player, and he dunked - which is unsporting behavior - he is penalized as bench personnel. It's right there...all you have to do is read it.
A kid on the Varsity team is no more affiliated with the JV team than a parent sitting in the stands wearing the school colors.
Sorry, but you are totally wrong to penalize the team competing for an action done by someone not part of the team. You don't get to decide if he is part of the team, the team/school decides if he is part of the team.
Old Thu Jan 26, 2012, 06:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
A kid on the Varsity team is no more affiliated with the JV team than a parent sitting in the stands wearing the school colors.
Sorry, but you are totally wrong to penalize the team competing for an action done by someone not part of the team. You don't get to decide if he is part of the team, the team/school decides if he is part of the team.
The team/coach made the choice when they permitted him/her to participate in warm-ups. Call him/her an assistant coach, statistician, or trainer if you must, but if they're on the floor participating with the team, the team assumes responsibility for his/her actions.

I doubt they'd allow a parent to participate...but if they did, that parent just became part of the coaching staff/bench personnel for as long as they're on the playing court or bench.

Plus, I've yet to ever see a formal list of people that are team members or bench personnel until the 10-minute mark and, even then, it is not required that they list everyone, only those that may play....certainly not any one of the coaching staff or other personnel.
Old Thu Jan 26, 2012, 09:56am
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Like Camron said, I don't decide anything. And - again - if you read 4-34, it says quite clearly "including, but not limited to..." So this is covered by the rule. The Coach allowed them out there, they are affiliated with the team, they became bench personnel.

It strikes me as quite odd that someone who ranted about ejecting a parent who comes on the floor because their son/daughter is lying there injured will NOT call a T in a situation like this.
Old Thu Jan 26, 2012, 10:06am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
So who is responsible for the people who participate in warm-ups with the team?

Hear a lot of what we can't or shouldn't do.