The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 06, 2012, 06:28am
Official Forum Member

Back court violation?

A1 in-bounds the ball at the division line; A2 jumps from the front-court, controls the ball in the air, and land in the back court. What is the ruling in NFHS and College?

I have have gotten different answers from fellow officials so I come to the expert for hopefully a unanimous answer.

I can not find it in the rule book so can someone please give me the reference # for both NCAA and NFHS.
Old Fri Jan 06, 2012, 06:59am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo-Money View Post
A1 in-bounds the ball at the division line; A2 jumps from the front-court, controls the ball in the air, and land in the back court. What is the ruling in NFHS and College?

I have have gotten different answers from fellow officials so I come to the expert for hopefully a unanimous answer.

I can not find it in the rule book so can someone please give me the reference # for both NCAA and NFHS.
NFHS: Legal play due to an exception to the backcourt rule.

Rule = 9-9-3
Case = 9.9.1 Situation D
Old Fri Jan 06, 2012, 08:51am
Official Forum Member

Same ruling in NCAA (but the reference will be slightly different).

Who (what level) were these "fellow officials" who gave "different answers?" Anyone working even freshman HS ball should know the answer, and while I can see one official in a group perhaps not knowing, there should be enough of a consensus to make the correct call obvious.
Old Fri Jan 06, 2012, 09:59am
This IS My Social Life

Tell Me It Isn't So, Ethyl ! ! !

Quote:
I have have gotten different answers from fellow officials . . .
I can not find it in the rule book . . .
#1 Highlight the portion of the rulebook that applies to this question.
#2 Make a note with the reference on a blank page in the rear of your rulebook.
#3 When you take your rulebook to each game (which of course you will do, right?!) you'll be able to quickly reference the rule.
Old Fri Jan 06, 2012, 10:32am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:

Your answer here will be unanimous, but I'm concerned how you're getting different answers from officials. I would hope it's been about 10-1 or some similar ratio.
Old Fri Jan 06, 2012, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Same ruling in NCAA (but the reference will be slightly different).

Who (what level) were these "fellow officials" who gave "different answers?" Anyone working even freshman HS ball should know the answer, and while I can see one official in a group perhaps not knowing, there should be enough of a consensus to make the correct call obvious.
Bob, I thought this play was different for NCAA. Was it changed recently ( as in last couple years)?
Old Fri Jan 06, 2012, 10:59am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by letemplay View Post
Bob, I thought this play was different for NCAA. Was it changed recently ( as in last couple years)?
No difference as long as I can remember. Bob may have a different answer.

My guess is some of the officials asked by the OP were confused by the new team control rule and simply over thought the rule.

People seem to think the new rule means there's now a violation on this, but there was always team control and FC status when the player caught the ball in the air, but the exception has always been in place.
Old Fri Jan 06, 2012, 11:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
No difference as long as I can remember. Bob may have a different answer.
Not this time.
Old Fri Jan 06, 2012, 11:21am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Not this time.
ouch
Old Fri Jan 06, 2012, 11:22am
Official Forum Member

NCAA Rule 4-3-8
After a jump ball or during a throw-in, the player in his/her front court, who makes the initial touch on the ball while both feet are off the playing court, may be the first to secure control of the ball and land with one or both feet in the back court. It makes no difference if the first foot down was in the front court or back court.

A.R. 232.
The ball is at A1's disposal for a throw-in. A1 passes the ball to A2, who catches the ball while airborne in his or her front court. A2 lands with one foot in his or her front court followed with the other foot landing in his or her back court.
RULING: Legal play. A player shall be permitted to first secure control of the ball after a throw-in, while both feet are off the playing court in his or her front court, and land with one foot or both feet in the back court.
Old Fri Jan 06, 2012, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

Exclamation

A twist on the OP....IF B1 touches the ball on the throw in by A, the throw in ends thus ending the exception mentioned and now you would have a BC violation. I believe this one was on the refresher test this year.

I have yet to figure out the "logic" in that. It just doesn't seem the touching by B should remove the exception.
Old Fri Jan 06, 2012, 01:20pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art N View Post

A twist on the OP....IF B1 touches the ball on the throw in by A, the throw in ends thus ending the exception mentioned and now you would have a BC violation. I believe this one was on the refresher test this year.

I have yet to figure out the "logic" in that. It just doesn't seem the touching by B should remove the exception.
I agree, and there was a long debate here a few years ago before they clarified this aspect. Some of us thought the exception should apply to any player whose team was not in control. Others did not. The Others were right, in the end.

That's why I'm not willing to apply case plays to situations that have a fundamental difference, no matter how similar they may seem.
Old Fri Jan 06, 2012, 02:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I agree, and there was a long debate here a few years ago before they clarified this aspect. Some of us thought the exception should apply to any player whose team was not in control. Others did not. The Others were right, in the end.

That's why I'm not willing to apply case plays to situations that have a fundamental difference, no matter how similar they may seem.
Well, they may now have an interpretation that supports their point-of-view, but that doesn't make them right!
Old Fri Jan 06, 2012, 02:30pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Well, they may now have an interpretation that supports their point-of-view, but that doesn't make them right!
I debated whether to word that as "The Others won" or the way I did it. Neither really seems accurate.
Old Fri Jan 06, 2012, 04:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

That was my post
Throw-in/Backcourt violation?