The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 14, 2011, 06:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
What I want to know is: If NO official signaled a 3-pt field goal then why in the world did the Scoreboard Operator add three points to the score?

MTD, Sr.
...because chseagle wasn't in charge.
Old Wed Dec 14, 2011, 06:40pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
What I want to know is: If NO official signaled a 3-pt field goal then why in the world did the Scoreboard Operator add three points to the score?

MTD, Sr.
How many timers do you know start the clock when they think the ball is first touched rather than when you chop in time?
Old Wed Dec 14, 2011, 07:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntin' Ref View Post
So, you are saying that if that final shot doesn't go in we can correct the score after the final horn? It is an ugly situation because even the team that ultimately won (home) thought they were tied and the visiting team didn't foul because they thought it was tied as well. No win situation, unless you catch the scoreboard error right away.....
Yep, that's what should be done.

2006-07 NFHS Basketball Rules Interpretations

SITUATION 10: The score is tied at the end of regulation time. During the intermission between the fourth quarter and the beginning of the overtime period, the official scorer advises the referee that A1′s three-point goal earlier in the fourth quarter was recorded in the scorebook improperly as a two-point goal. The referee verifies the mistake. RULING: The game is over and Team A has won. Since the ball had not yet become live in the overtime period, it need not be played. (2-11-11; 5-3; 5-7-4)
Old Wed Dec 14, 2011, 07:08pm
Esteemed Forum Member

And It's Approved, Not New And Approved, Just Approved ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
I also fully expect to see Billy tell us about how this is the mechanic in his little corner of Connecticut
Even better, an image.

And for once, it's not just in my little corner, it's for the whole state.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Dec 14, 2011 at 07:11pm.
Old Wed Dec 14, 2011, 07:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RookieDude View Post
I look at the table and descretely put two fingers near my mid-section.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
If there's a close play, I always show 2 if a foot is barely on the line.
Me too. If it (the 3) is in my primary, I will discreetly hold two fingers low like the old days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntin' Ref View Post
Well, I can honestly say I can't remember ever signalling "2" before,
You must have missed the old days.

Quote:

MTD, Sr.
This is a trick question . . . right?

Sounds like everything was correct and others have already pointed out the correctable score issue.

And I have no intention of asking about a "corner of Connecticut" or how one goes about getting that pictogram image.

Last edited by Scratch85; Wed Dec 14, 2011 at 07:40pm.
Old Wed Dec 14, 2011, 07:37pm
Official Forum Member

I'm poinitng at the ground when the shot is taken (shows up on film that we didn't just make s*** up after the fact) AND showing two points to the table as we turn to go the other way.
Old Wed Dec 14, 2011, 07:49pm
Official Forum Member

I also point to the ground with two fingers and then if made show it to the table and say "two" loud enough for the table to hear. Authorized mechanic? Probably not, but it gets the point across that it is definitely a 2.
Old Wed Dec 14, 2011, 09:23pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with most everyone and would also signal 2, but as the OP noted, it would have been better if (and should have been) caught immediately by the officials. If the shot is close and the players react as if it was a 3, you have to get a glance at the scoreboard to make certain the score is recorded correctly.
Old Wed Dec 14, 2011, 10:37pm
Official Forum Member

is it possible to over-communicate with the table in these type sits?
Old Wed Dec 14, 2011, 10:41pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Even better, an image.

Billy, I'm not seeing this in my book. This is an IAABO image?

FWIW, I've also been holding two fingers while looking at the table (not more than a second or two) after such a made shot. I honestly can't speak to whether it's approved or not.
Old Wed Dec 14, 2011, 11:44pm
(Something hilarious)

Yes, it's from the IAABO manual.
Old Thu Dec 15, 2011, 12:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachNRef View Post
is it possible to over-communicate with the table in these type sits?
NO.

I'm not sure why some have said they would be "discreet" in holding two fingers up for the table to see. You want to make sure the table, the players, the coaches, the fans, the video, and your assignor who will watch the game later on video (after the coach calls to complain that "everyone thought it was a 3") sees that it is a two-point shot.

This situation calls for ANYTHING but being discreet.
Old Thu Dec 15, 2011, 02:38am
Official Forum Member

I believe your official scorer could've been of some help in this instance too.I'm going to look for one of three things in this situation-
A.Hands in the air noting a made 3 point shot.
B.Two Fingers at the waist.
C.No signal given (assume a two point basket)

In this case I would've seen the point to the ground mechanic from the trail and once the ball goes through the net said "2,2" so that the clock operator,visiting scorekeeper,and myself are on the same page.This one is tough because it is correctable but there was no dead ball prior to the go ahead basket.If I had a dead ball between shots then I would ask "Hey ____________, just to clarify was the last shot for _______ a 2 or 3? Answer in this case would be a two, we'd make the adjustment on the board and finish the game out.
Old Thu Dec 15, 2011, 03:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCalScoreKeeper View Post
I believe your official scorer could've been of some help in this instance too.I'm going to look for one of three things in this situation-
A.Hands in the air noting a made 3 point shot.
B.Two Fingers at the waist.
C.No signal given (assume a two point basket)

In this case I would've seen the point to the ground mechanic from the trail and once the ball goes through the net said "2,2" so that the clock operator,visiting scorekeeper,and myself are on the same page.This one is tough because it is correctable but there was no dead ball prior to the go ahead basket.If I had a dead ball between shots then I would ask "Hey ____________, just to clarify was the last shot for _______ a 2 or 3? Answer in this case would be a two, we'd make the adjustment on the board and finish the game out.
Another good table mechanic would be for the timer/scoreboard & scorer to watch the floor officials, instead of ball/player watching, for the field goal signal if the shot is questionable.

Was the scorer's table court level or a couple of rows up in the stands?
Old Thu Dec 15, 2011, 03:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
How many timers do you know start the clock when they think the ball is first touched rather than when you chop in time?
Far too many timers are guilty of either starting the clock too early or about 1-2 seconds late.