The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 06, 2011, 07:31pm
Esteemed Forum Member

2011 IAABO Refresher Exam - Question 66 ...

I just got around to reviewing my 2011 IAABO Refresher Exam questions, and answers. I found a few really "odd" questions. I'd thought that I would share a few with the Forum. Remember these are IAABO, not NFHS, interpretations.

66. A-1’s pass is deflected by B-1. The ball enters the net from below and is in the net below the ring when A-1, touches the ball and net. The official rules a violation on team A. Is the official correct?

66. Yes

9-11 Basket Interference: A player shall not commit basket interference as in 4-6.

4-6-1: Basket interference occurs when a player: Touches the ball or any part of the basket (including the net) while the ball is on or within either basket.

Comments?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Dec 07, 2011, 07:05am
Esteemed Forum Member

Basket Interference ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
A-1’s pass is deflected by B-1. The ball enters the net from below and is in the net below the ring when A-1, touches the ball and net. The official rules a violation on team A.
This is what I found odd. Let's twist it around:

A-1’s pass is deflected by B-1. The ball enters the net from below and is in the net below the ring when B-2, touches the ball and net. The official rules a violation on team B.

So then the official awards the basket to A, even though the ball never came even close to entering the basket, or the cylinder, from above. How do you think the Team B coach will react to that?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Wed Dec 07, 2011, 08:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
This is what I found odd. Let's twist it around:

A-1’s pass is deflected by B-1. The ball enters the net from below and is in the net below the ring when B-2, touches the ball and net. The official rules a violation on team B.

So then the official awards the basket to A, even though the ball never came even close to entering the basket, or the cylinder, from above. How do you think the Team B coach will react to that?
The same way he'd react when a pass (even an throw-in) is touched in the cylinder above the rim -- BI doesn't require a try.

Sometimes the rules are just .... "unfair."
Old Wed Dec 07, 2011, 11:45am
Official Forum Member

Billy,

The answer key says 9-11 Penalty 3 (which covers violations for basket interference and goaltending).

3. If the violation results from touching the ball while it is in the basket after entering from below, no points are scored and the ball is awarded to the opponents for a throw-in from the designated out-of-bounds spot nearest the violation.

I did not know this rule before I took the refresher exam. I do now.
Old Wed Dec 07, 2011, 07:37pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Thanks To My Forum Buddy In Massachusetts ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayStateRef View Post
The answer key says 9-11 Penalty 3 (which covers violations for basket interference and goaltending).

3. If the violation results from touching the ball while it is in the basket after entering from below, no points are scored and the ball is awarded to the opponents for a throw-in from the designated out-of-bounds spot nearest the violation.

I did not know this rule before I took the refresher exam. I do now.
Thanks BayStateRef. My answer key had the wrong citation. I probably knew this rule penalty about thirty years ago, for a year, or two, after I took the applicant's test, but I have long since forgotten about it, since this type of play very, very, very, seldom occurs. In fact, in thirty-one years, I've only had one violation for a ball going through the basket from the bottom, and there was no basket interference on that play.