The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 26, 1999, 12:02am
Official Forum Member

My first question is, What the heck is A1's teammate doign touching the ball on a three point try anyway?

I'm assuming the question means an accidental touching by A2. The only way i can envision this occurring with the ball entering the basket is if A2 sets a screen for A1's trey, and the ball deflects off A2's fingertips...

I think that if an offensive player touches this try it now becomes a tap and as a result it is from were the tapper is located on the floor.

As i read it, the three-point try never ended. According to 4-40-4: "The try ends when the throw is successful, when it is certain the throw is unsuccessful or when the thrown ball touches the floor or when the ball becomes dead."

None of these criteria have been met, just like the try hasn't ended in your scenario when the defensive player touches the ball.

Furthermore, A2's touching doesn't constitute a tap since "A tap for goal is the contacting of the ball...in an attempt to direct the ball into his/her basket." [4-40-5] As the touching was unintentional, it wasn't an attempt to direct the ball...

So, i think that 3 points should be rewarded.
Old Tue Oct 26, 1999, 06:54am
Official Forum Member

What do you think?

25. A1's three point try is on its upward flight when A2, located insude the 3 point arc, touches the ball. Ball enters basket. Official, after a conference,awards team A two points. Were the officials correct?
Old Tue Oct 26, 1999, 10:54am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Ron Pilo Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Pilo
My first question is, What the heck is A1's teammate doign touching the ball on a three point try anyway? I think that if an offensive player touches this try it now becomes a tap and as a result it is from were the tapper is located on the floor.
On the other hand if a defensive player touches the ball it's still a 3 point goal in this case.

------------------
Ron
Seattle Officials - Women's Basketball

Old Tue Oct 26, 1999, 08:28pm
Official Forum Member

Lightbulb

If the ball is on an upward flight, can not be GT or BI.
Check the four requiremnts of GT and the Definition of where the ball has to be for BI.
It is a two point tap.
Old Tue Oct 26, 1999, 09:16pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Richard - based on the definition of a try, and the fact that it did not end with the touch, how do you justify saying it's a two point tap?
Old Wed Oct 27, 1999, 12:41am
Official Forum Member

Lightbulb

I think it would depend on whether the touching were deliberate or accidental. If deliberate, I would rule the initial "throw" as pass and declare that it was a tap worth 2 points if made. If the touching were accidental, it would be a 3.

If you were to always declare it a 3, I guarantee you would see a long lob play toward the rim where the teammate taps in. It could be argued that the lob was a shot and it should be three.

Now, I can't see how this would happen accidently. How tall is A2? Is he so tall that his teammate can't get the ball over his head? He better not have his hands up in front of his own teammate.
Old Wed Oct 27, 1999, 08:43pm
Official Forum Member

I say it is a good 3 point basket. The "touching" is legal, strange, but legal. The basket would also count if the "touching" happened after the buzzer had sounded to end the quarter. Yikes! The key to the question is the wording "touches". If the word "tap" had been used the 3 point try would have ended.

Joel