The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 02, 2011, 12:11am
Official Forum Member

Starting a dribble/traveling questions

1. It is legal for a player to start a dribble by using both hands to push or bat the ball to the floor, and then continuing the dribble, correct?

For example, A1 catches a pass, pushes the ball to the floor with both hands, and then continues to dribble using just one hand.

2. B1 has recovered the ball with one knee on the floor. Without dribbling, is it legal for B1 to place a 2nd knee to the floor? What if B1 recovers the ball with both knees on the floor, and without dribbling, picks up one knee off of the floor?
Old Fri Dec 02, 2011, 12:27am
Official Forum Member

1. If he catches the pass, that's control and a double dribble. No control, nothing.

2. Not sure but I think one knee on the floor already, legal to put other knee on floor. Both knees on floor, pick one up it is a travel.
Old Fri Dec 02, 2011, 12:41am
Official Forum Member

Question #1 with example is a legal play.
Old Fri Dec 02, 2011, 12:43am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhjordan23 View Post
1. If he catches the pass, that's control and a double dribble. No control, nothing.

2. Not sure but I think one knee on the floor already, legal to put other knee on floor. Both knees on floor, pick one up it is a travel.

Jordan:

1) You are wrong in your ruling. How that illegal? Go back to Rule 4 (NFHS or NCAA) and read the definitions regarding dribbling and traveling.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Fri Dec 02, 2011, 01:45am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave9819 View Post

2. B1 has recovered the ball with one knee on the floor. Without dribbling, is it legal for B1 to place a 2nd knee to the floor? What if B1 recovers the ball with both knees on the floor, and without dribbling, picks up one knee off of the floor?
If he recovers it on the floor, without going into specifics, anything which is judged to be an attempt to stand up is traveling.

Lonesome Dove
Old Fri Dec 02, 2011, 07:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave9819 View Post
1. It is legal for a player to start a dribble by using both hands to push or bat the ball to the floor, and then continuing the dribble, correct?

For example, (1) A1 catches a pass, pushes the ball to the floor with both hands, and then continues to dribble using just one hand.

2. B1 has recovered the ball with one knee on the floor. (a) Without dribbling, is it legal for B1 to place a 2nd knee to the floor? (b) What if B1 recovers the ball with both knees on the floor, and without dribbling, picks up one knee off of the floor?
1. Legal.

2. JAR has given you the correct general principle: if the covering official judges that the player holding the ball is trying to get up, the correct call is travel. That said:
(a) If that's all B1 does, it's legal.

(b) That certainly sounds like a violation.
Old Fri Dec 02, 2011, 08:59am
Official Forum Member

How is example 1 legal. Don't have my rule book handy. If he catches pass, isn't that control? Wouldn't his next act be a dribble with 2 hands instead of pushing ball to floor with 2 hands? 2 handed dribble is double dribble, correct? Maybe I'm wrong though.
Old Fri Dec 02, 2011, 09:17am
Administrator

Quote:
How is example 1 legal. Don't have my rule book handy. If he catches pass, isn't that control? Wouldn't his next act be a dribble with 2 hands instead of pushing ball to floor with 2 hands? 2 handed dribble is double dribble, correct? Maybe I'm wrong though.

You are allowed to start your dribble by pushing the ball with both hands and then continue dribbling with only one hand at a time. Read NFHS R4-S15 (or the analogous NCAA Rule). There is no prohibition to starting the dribble by pushing the ball to the floor with two hands.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Fri Dec 02, 2011, 09:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
2 handed dribble is double dribble, correct?
If you use rule-book terms instead of announcer/playground speak, you'll have your answer.

(I don't mean that to sound as harsh as it probably does.)
Old Fri Dec 02, 2011, 09:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
If you use rule-book terms instead of announcer/playground speak, you'll have your answer.

(I don't mean that to sound as harsh as it probably does.)
Maybe it's just Friday, but this post really made me laugh.
Old Fri Dec 02, 2011, 10:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
No rule dictates how a player must (or must not) begin a dribble. If a dribbler subsequently touches the ball with both hands, that ENDS the dribble. Perhaps that's what you're thinking of.
Old Fri Dec 02, 2011, 11:32am
Official Forum Member

4-15-4(c)...

...(The dribble ends when The dribbler simultaneously touches the ball with both hands.

4-15-3 states how a dribble may be started, but doesn't specifically preclude a two-handed start. If a dribble can't start with two hands, then the so-called "power dribble" must be illegal.

What's the correct interpretation on this?
Old Fri Dec 02, 2011, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

The "power dribble" is legal. There is no prohibition about how a dribble is started, as long as the ball is released before the pivot is picked up. One hand, two hands, behind the back, long toss...doesn't matter.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Fri Dec 02, 2011, 12:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga314ref View Post
...(The dribble ends when The dribbler simultaneously touches the ball with both hands.

4-15-3 states how a dribble may be started, but doesn't specifically preclude a two-handed start. If a dribble can't start with two hands, then the so-called "power dribble" must be illegal.

What's the correct interpretation on this?
A dribble can't end until after it starts.

As you seem to be wanting to interpret it, almost any pass that is caught (which will be with two hands) would end a dribble and preclude any further dribble.