The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Starting a dribble/traveling questions (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/83573-starting-dribble-traveling-questions.html)

Dave9819 Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:11am

Starting a dribble/traveling questions

1. It is legal for a player to start a dribble by using both hands to push or bat the ball to the floor, and then continuing the dribble, correct?

For example, A1 catches a pass, pushes the ball to the floor with both hands, and then continues to dribble using just one hand.

2. B1 has recovered the ball with one knee on the floor. Without dribbling, is it legal for B1 to place a 2nd knee to the floor? What if B1 recovers the ball with both knees on the floor, and without dribbling, picks up one knee off of the floor?

cmhjordan23 Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:27am

1. If he catches the pass, that's control and a double dribble. No control, nothing.

2. Not sure but I think one knee on the floor already, legal to put other knee on floor. Both knees on floor, pick one up it is a travel.

Johnny Ringo Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:41am

Question #1 with example is a legal play.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:43am

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmhjordan23 (Post 801202)
1. If he catches the pass, that's control and a double dribble. No control, nothing.

2. Not sure but I think one knee on the floor already, legal to put other knee on floor. Both knees on floor, pick one up it is a travel.

Jordan:

1) You are wrong in your ruling. How that illegal? Go back to Rule 4 (NFHS or NCAA) and read the definitions regarding dribbling and traveling.

MTD, Sr.

just another ref Fri Dec 02, 2011 01:45am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave9819 (Post 801197)

2. B1 has recovered the ball with one knee on the floor. Without dribbling, is it legal for B1 to place a 2nd knee to the floor? What if B1 recovers the ball with both knees on the floor, and without dribbling, picks up one knee off of the floor?

If he recovers it on the floor, without going into specifics, anything which is judged to be an attempt to stand up is traveling.

mbyron Fri Dec 02, 2011 07:09am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave9819 (Post 801197)
1. It is legal for a player to start a dribble by using both hands to push or bat the ball to the floor, and then continuing the dribble, correct?

For example, (1) A1 catches a pass, pushes the ball to the floor with both hands, and then continues to dribble using just one hand.

2. B1 has recovered the ball with one knee on the floor. (a) Without dribbling, is it legal for B1 to place a 2nd knee to the floor? (b) What if B1 recovers the ball with both knees on the floor, and without dribbling, picks up one knee off of the floor?

1. Legal.

2. JAR has given you the correct general principle: if the covering official judges that the player holding the ball is trying to get up, the correct call is travel. That said:
(a) If that's all B1 does, it's legal.

(b) That certainly sounds like a violation.

cmhjordan23 Fri Dec 02, 2011 08:59am

How is example 1 legal. Don't have my rule book handy. If he catches pass, isn't that control? Wouldn't his next act be a dribble with 2 hands instead of pushing ball to floor with 2 hands? 2 handed dribble is double dribble, correct? Maybe I'm wrong though.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Fri Dec 02, 2011 09:17am

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmhjordan23 (Post 801262)
How is example 1 legal. Don't have my rule book handy. If he catches pass, isn't that control? Wouldn't his next act be a dribble with 2 hands instead of pushing ball to floor with 2 hands? 2 handed dribble is double dribble, correct? Maybe I'm wrong though.

You are allowed to start your dribble by pushing the ball with both hands and then continue dribbling with only one hand at a time. Read NFHS R4-S15 (or the analogous NCAA Rule). There is no prohibition to starting the dribble by pushing the ball to the floor with two hands.

MTD, Sr.

bob jenkins Fri Dec 02, 2011 09:26am

Quote:

2 handed dribble is double dribble, correct?

If you use rule-book terms instead of announcer/playground speak, you'll have your answer.

(I don't mean that to sound as harsh as it probably does.)

dsqrddgd909 Fri Dec 02, 2011 09:44am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 801264)
If you use rule-book terms instead of announcer/playground speak, you'll have your answer.

(I don't mean that to sound as harsh as it probably does.)

Maybe it's just Friday, but this post really made me laugh.:D

mbyron Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:40am

Quote:

No rule dictates how a player must (or must not) begin a dribble. If a dribbler subsequently touches the ball with both hands, that ENDS the dribble. Perhaps that's what you're thinking of.

ga314ref Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:32am

4-15-4(c)...

...(The dribble ends when:) The dribbler simultaneously touches the ball with both hands.

4-15-3 states how a dribble may be started, but doesn't specifically preclude a two-handed start. If a dribble can't start with two hands, then the so-called "power dribble" must be illegal.

What's the correct interpretation on this?

APG Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:40am

The "power dribble" is legal. There is no prohibition about how a dribble is started, as long as the ball is released before the pivot is picked up. One hand, two hands, behind the back, long toss...doesn't matter.

bob jenkins Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ga314ref (Post 801288)
...(The dribble ends when:) The dribbler simultaneously touches the ball with both hands.

4-15-3 states how a dribble may be started, but doesn't specifically preclude a two-handed start. If a dribble can't start with two hands, then the so-called "power dribble" must be illegal.

What's the correct interpretation on this?

A dribble can't end until after it starts.

As you seem to be wanting to interpret it, almost any pass that is caught (which will be with two hands) would end a dribble and preclude any further dribble.