The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 05, 2011, 11:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
You discuss it in pregame or do you mention warnings in captains meeting?
Captain's meeting. We tell them about sportsmanship and there is to be no baiting, taunting, or trash talk to opponents or anyone. Coaches are to coach, they play, we ref and not to confuse what our responsibilties are during the game. Why warn again during the game?
Old Mon Dec 05, 2011, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyref10 View Post
Captain's meeting. We tell them about sportsmanship and there is to be no baiting, taunting, or trash talk to opponents or anyone. Coaches are to coach, they play, we ref and not to confuse what our responsibilties are during the game. Why warn again during the game?
I disagree. I never talk at pregame about what a foul is going to be or what unsporting is going to be. As soon as you do that, and something comes up that you try to address without a whistle, the coach that listened to your pregame will be up your butt about "you said that would be called at pregame, why wasn't it?". I just say, "Sportsmanship is the priority, you're the captains and the coaches, do a good job of representing your school."

There are too many variables that come up in this game to tell them exactly what an unsportiing act is at pregame.
Old Mon Dec 05, 2011, 12:32pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleringer View Post
I disagree. I never talk at pregame about what a foul is going to be or what unsporting is going to be. As soon as you do that, and something comes up that you try to address without a whistle, the coach that listened to your pregame will be up your butt about "you said that would be called at pregame, why wasn't it?". I just say, "Sportsmanship is the priority, you're the captains and the coaches, do a good job of representing your school."

There are too many variables that come up in this game to tell them exactly what an unsportiing act is at pregame.
My pregame with the captains is quick: "If you see your teammates losing their heads, take care of it for me."

During the game, I'll offer a reminder to a player getting close to the line if he gives me a chance, but I have no intention of creating the impression that they deserve a warning of some sort.
Old Mon Dec 05, 2011, 12:55pm
Back from the DL

Required question in our coaches/captains meeting: "Can I expect good sporting behavior from everyone here today?"

My own closing tag: "Question anything you like, as long as you're civil about it. Let's have fun." Seldom do I have an issue.
Old Mon Dec 05, 2011, 01:35pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:

I am going to disagree a little. This is not about just talking about a rule, this is about sportsmanship which is required in my area and many areas if you read this board enough. Usually officials come up with a statement that included what is not allowed and if it includes things that promote sportsmanship. Your statement is fine, but general and all it takes is someone to suggest that you were not specific and they will complain later. I have no problem if you tell them you will not tolerate taunting or trash talking. That is not like telling them you will call hand-checking or illegal screens. And to suggest there are too many variables, that is correct, but that is not like saying things that are specific. You are not saying you will not tolerate chest bumping and then the first chest bump so not penalize. Those things are general in nature and are always going to be subject to how far we allow based on the official.

Peace
Old Mon Dec 05, 2011, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

After following this, I have not heard the obvious solution. If plyaer A1 is calling for a foul for this or that, call a foul on his team for the same offense and when A2 complains, just tell him 'that the way A1 wants it called. Talk to him.'

Or, just call fouls on the complainer and sit his rear end on the bench until he learns how to deal with officials and adversity.
Old Mon Dec 05, 2011, 02:23pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkumpire View Post
After following this, I have not heard the obvious solution. If plyaer A1 is calling for a foul for this or that, call a foul on his team for the same offense and when A2 complains, just tell him 'that the way A1 wants it called. Talk to him.'

Or, just call fouls on the complainer and sit his rear end on the bench until he learns how to deal with officials and adversity.
Because I'm not going to let the players change the way I'm officiating. Targeting a player isn't the answer, just tell him to stop. If he doesn't, call the T. Obvious, simple, and effective.
Old Mon Dec 05, 2011, 02:27pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Because I'm not going to let the players change the way I'm officiating. Targeting a player isn't the answer, just tell him to stop. If he doesn't, call the T. Obvious, simple, and effective.
I happen to agree with him. Usually a player that is complaining is not learning from what you are telling them. I will just keep calling fouls and not give them any benefit of the doubt. They will eventually be out of the game by either too many fouls or their coach will realize they are not listening. I do not make up the first foul, I call what I see and usually try not to call a really silly foul.

Peace
Old Mon Dec 05, 2011, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

Ok

Quote:
Who says I am changing my officiating? I'm not, I'm just making suree I see all I need to see with certain players....
Old Mon Dec 05, 2011, 04:01pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkumpire View Post
Who says I am changing my officiating? I'm not, I'm just making suree I see all I need to see with certain players....
A spade is still a spade.
Old Mon Dec 05, 2011, 04:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I don't see what poker has to do with the discussion.
Old Mon Dec 05, 2011, 11:44pm
Official Forum Member

While we're on the subject of captain's meetings....

We're in the second week of the season, and there is one thing that I can't stand my partners saying during their captains meeting: "Listen to us and we'll try to talk you out of fouls". For one, a foul is a foul and if you call them for illegal contact they will adjust or be on the bench. Secondly, if a coach hears that and then you call what he perceives to be a ticky tack foul early in the game, he has ammunition. He can say "But you said you were going to talk them out of fouls".

That phrase just bugs me and I never say it during my captain's meeting. I've also had a few partners give rules clinics during the meeting too...that's always fun.

Mine includes telling them that they're all captains and all in charge of their teams (I don't get "speaking captains" like every other person in my group), so keep them in line so we don't have to, and remind them to show good sportsmanship. It lasts 20 seconds tops.
Old Tue Dec 06, 2011, 06:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

When did I mention what a foul is going to be? I consider anything a kid has to say about what should or should not have been called "trash" talk. I'm not looking to T up kids and rarely have done so, but the original question asked how to deal with mouthy players. I just prefer to deal with it quickly and consider my captain's meeting their warning.
Old Tue Dec 06, 2011, 07:15am
Esteemed Forum Member

Short And Sweet ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
He can say "But you said you were going to talk them out of fouls". That phrase just bugs me and I never say it during my captain's meeting. I've also had a few partners give rules clinics during the meeting too...that's always fun. Mine includes telling them that they're all captains and all in charge of their teams (I don't get "speaking captains" like every other person in my group), so keep them in line so we don't have to, and remind them to show good sportsmanship. It lasts 20 seconds tops.
Agree. The less said, the better. I keep my topics limited to the three that the NFHS requires me to cover, and one that my local board requires me to cover (Players properly equipped, Players wearing uniforms properly, Practice good sportsmanship, Adhere to the restrictions, as well as the privileges, of the coaching box). Four topics. End of discussion.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Dec 06, 2011, 08:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Naw, wrong phrase. Try "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder."

Quick Q BTW, why should Compliner A screw up the game for everyone else by his continued complaining? Sometimes a simple foul call or two puts things in perspective for him, where coaches and captains can't in my experience.

Last edited by jkumpire; Tue Dec 06, 2011 at 08:33am. Reason: Brain faster than fingers