The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Advice on how to handle mouthy players (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/83522-advice-how-handle-mouthy-players.html)

ballgame99 Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:14pm

Advice on how to handle mouthy players

Did a freshman game last night with a bunch of whiners. Mostly just "oh my GOD!" and "he's hacking me!!" type comments. Nothing that would, in my opinion, warrent a T on its own, although I did hear one "that's bullcrap!" I thought about Ting that one up, but stopped myself. I'm a fairly new ref so I would like to hear what an appropriate way to nip this stuff in the bud. Because once they started whining they didn't stop.

The one team even started making little jab comments during free throws.

Thanks.

tref Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:27pm

1. Ask the captain &/or coach to help you out as you have heard enough.
2. Official warning
3. Whack
4. Toss

stiffler3492 Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:39pm

It's best to nip it in the bud right away, otherwise it will continue all game. Maybe tell the coach you've heard some things out there that are close to unsportsmanlike, and you'd like his team to clean it up. The coach will appreciate you talking to him first, before just T'ing one of his players.

"That's bullcrap"--Automatic T.

IUgrad92 Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:42pm

Early in my career a veteran official told me "I'll take 'it' (jabbing comments) from a coach, but I won't take it from a player". I've taken that somewhat to heart, but each situation is unique and I handle them as such.

Whacked an 8th grade girl last weekend (no prior warning given) because she felt like she had to tell me 'what really happened' on a play she was involved in. Her mom came up to me after the game asking what she did because she wanted to know how she needed to discipline her child (refreshing to hear, huh?). I told her what happened and we both agreed that 'tone' has a lot to do with it. I also told her that in most cases, if a player "asks" a question, I will answer, but being told something probably won't get the same result.

It's amazing, the comments you mentioned in the OP, I would have never dreamed of saying back when I played. Boy how things have changed. Partly though, I think kids think they can say these type of comments because there is typically no repercussions, jmo.

derwil Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:44pm

Bullcrap.......whack.

In a freshman game....probably a good long stare the first OMG - they will usually get the hint that you are not pleased. Second instance...whack. Varsity game I'd ask coach, talk to captain etc. Very little tolerance in a game at that level.

Danvrapp Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ballgame99 (Post 800756)
I did hear one "that's bullcrap!" I thought about Ting that one up, but stopped myself.

T. No questions. If he wants to argue a call, there are 402 better ways to do it than that.

Quote:

This you address the first time it happens. Maybe the first time you use disconcertion of the free thrower as an excuse and reshoot the throw, but you step in and make it known this action will not continue to be acceptable. Warning made, then you can assess penalties if it continues.

Best of luck!

JugglingReferee Wed Nov 30, 2011 01:18pm

Quote:

Did a freshman game last night with a bunch of whiners. Mostly just "oh my GOD!" and "he's hacking me!!" type comments. Nothing that would, in my opinion, warrent a T on its own, although I did hear one "that's bullcrap!" I thought about Ting that one up, but stopped myself. I'm a fairly new ref so I would like to hear what an appropriate way to nip this stuff in the bud. Because once they started whining they didn't stop.

Thanks.

Had this just 3 weeks ago. After it happened the first time, I went to the coach and told him that "14 was commenting after the play". I continued, "If there are any questions, they can come from you or a captain, but we will not entertain general comments".

Problem solved.

It did happen later in the game, but the player realized what they were doing, and then changed their comment to a question. I was ok with that. She was complaining about being hacked. We were in a dead ball time because we had called a foul for the player being hacked. :cool: I guess she didn't realize that.

T when they say "bull****". My other advice is to nip it in the bud. If it's repetitive, you have to deal with it, and the sooner the better. Technical fouls often come from (a) profane, (b) personal, or (c) persistent. If a team/player is persistently complaining/commenting, then deal with it early to avoid a technical foul.

Welpe Wed Nov 30, 2011 01:21pm

My tolerance on what I will allow from a player before T'ing them up is perhaps a little on the low side but I think context for "bullcrap" would be important to me. How loud was it? Was it that word exactly? If it's not very loud the first time, I'm going to let it go with a word of warning to the player, captain or coach.

grunewar Wed Nov 30, 2011 05:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by derwil (Post 800772)
Bullcrap.......whack.

In a freshman game....probably a good long stare the first OMG - they will usually get the hint that you are not pleased. Second instance...whack. Varsity game I'd ask coach, talk to captain etc. Very little tolerance in a game at that level.

You're going to give them what I call "the look."

bob jenkins Wed Nov 30, 2011 05:45pm

Quote:

Thanks.

Either a "knock it off" or a "what?" "I didn't say anything" "Make sure you keep it that way."

Complete difference betweent "THAT's BC" and "YOU'RE BC"

Mark Padgett Wed Nov 30, 2011 05:45pm

This is an easy one. Nip it in the bud.

Barney Fife - Nip It - YouTube

Adam Wed Nov 30, 2011 05:49pm

Freshmen? Stop it early. It escalated because you didn't stop it. I'm guessing the coach was a bit chippy as well.

JRutledge Wed Nov 30, 2011 06:00pm

It really depends on your personality. If you do not mind saying what you need to say or you are one of those guys that is afraid you are going to offend will dictate how you handle this. Usually I am very direct with kids and do not mince words. I do not treat them as equals (which they are not) and I do not treat them like they are stupid either. Most of the time kids know exactly what they are doing and saying and if you call them on their behavior they will usually fall in line. I have several lines that I vary by a word or two that work for me, but then again they fit my personality. I would suggest you deal with players in a way that fits your personality. I also do not like to go to coaches to handle players either.

Peace

Toren Wed Nov 30, 2011 06:38pm

I'm a quick draw

I'm a fairly new official too, but for the younger ages if I have to think should I have called a T? Then it's a sure fire I called a T. For varsity, i tend to be more lenient and give the team a warning. I am also going to try this year to get the captain's more involved as Tref advised.

Since the season is early, you may want to see how giving a Tech the next time this occurs changes the outcome of your experience. Then make a determination of what works for you.

BillyMac Thu Dec 01, 2011 07:05am

Misty Water Colored Memories ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 800905)
This is an easy one. Nip it in the bud.Barney Fife - Nip It - YouTube

Thanks Mark Padgett.