The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 09, 2011, 01:27pm
Official Forum Member

Get it right or stay consistent?

If your partner makes a wrong call on a block/charge play, are you more inclined to keep consistent or make the right call on a nearly identical play later in the game? I had an official tell me that my call was right on a block/charge play but not consistent with how it was called previously by my partner.
Old Fri Dec 09, 2011, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserkBBK View Post
If your partner makes a wrong call on a block/charge play, are you more inclined to keep consistent or make the right call on a nearly identical play later in the game? I had an official tell me that my call was right on a block/charge play but not consistent with how it was called previously by my partner.
I would rather be right.
Old Fri Dec 09, 2011, 01:32pm
Do not give a damn!!

Stay consistent how? You should judge every play on its own merit and call what you see. How do you know your partner got the first play wrong anyway? Is it possible they saw something you did not see?

Peace
Old Fri Dec 09, 2011, 01:36pm
Official Forum Member

2 wrongs dont make it right.

In pregame: "when I kick one, please dont mimic that call in a similar situation."
Old Fri Dec 09, 2011, 01:41pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with all of your statements on getting it right. I just did not want to say anything to the older official and get into an argument.
Is this something that was once preached or was this just his personal philosophy?
Old Fri Dec 09, 2011, 01:45pm
Official Forum Member

If its a block on this end, it's gotta be a block on the other end

[QUOTE=Is this something that was once preached or was this just his personal philosophy?[/QUOTE]

I still hear this from time to time (and not only from coaches). I'd guess that is where your partner got it.
Old Fri Dec 09, 2011, 01:54pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I agree with all of your statements on getting it right. I just did not want to say anything to the older official and get into an argument.
Is this something that was once preached or was this just his personal philosophy?
Why do you have to say anything? If it is your call the next time you have to call it the way you see it.

For example what if he/she had a very tough block/charge where the defender was moving (just an example) and then the next time you have a player that is planted in the ground, should you call a the same call just because your partner made an earlier call? These calls are not the same at all. One might be obvious the other one might be close.

Peace
Old Fri Dec 09, 2011, 02:38pm
Official Forum Member

49/51 plays

The context in which I have heard "if it is a block at one end it is a block on the other" is with 50/50 (or if you prefer, 51/49) plays. Some officials teach the close calls need to be the same. I agree you should never be wrong, but if the play is so close you have to think for a second which way it should be, consideration may be appropriate as to how it was called at the other end.
Old Fri Dec 09, 2011, 02:46pm
Official Forum Member

ALWAYS make the right call....if a coach has a problem with it, tell him:

"coach...those were two separate plays"....OR "coach...ask my partner about his last call....i'm sure he'd be happy to tell you what he saw".....
Old Fri Dec 09, 2011, 03:33pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyo96 View Post
The context in which I have heard "if it is a block at one end it is a block on the other" is with 50/50 (or if you prefer, 51/49) plays. Some officials teach the close calls need to be the same. I agree you should never be wrong, but if the play is so close you have to think for a second which way it should be, consideration may be appropriate as to how it was called at the other end.
I call more PC fouls than blocks. That usually is going to be my default call unless something the defense does something that shows they were illegal.

Peace
Old Fri Dec 09, 2011, 03:47pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by centkyref View Post
I still hear this from time to time (and not only from coaches). I'd guess that is where your partner got it.
You're from Kentucky? I know a prominent supervisor in those parts who subscribes to that sort of philosophy. Maybe not word for word by somewhere very much in that ballpark.
Old Fri Dec 09, 2011, 05:52pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Just say thank you. Maybe something else he has to say will be worth while.
Old Fri Dec 09, 2011, 05:58pm
Official Forum Member

Sounds like, "You called that pitch a strike 2 innings ago!" Really? This pitch was identical in every way to the pitch 2 innings ago? Your charge/block was identical to the one your partner had? (Not to mention you have opposite views of the two plays, and have ZERO chance at knowing whether they were really similar, much less identical).

West Houston Mike
Old Fri Dec 09, 2011, 06:16pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
..... You have opposite views of the two plays, and have zero chance at knowing whether they were really similar, much less identical).

+1

Lonesome Dove
Old Sat Dec 10, 2011, 06:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Good, nice to know that you got the play right. Since you did, why is he talking to you instead of your partner about his decision?
I have to wonder if this guy would want you to improperly call traveling because your partner did so earlier in the game!