The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 02, 2011, 12:28pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun View Post
What exactly is an official warning where players are concerned?
I was wondering this also.
Old Fri Dec 02, 2011, 02:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyref10 View Post
My warning comes in the pregame
You're kidding I assume?
Old Fri Dec 02, 2011, 03:01pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
You're kidding I assume?
Why would he be kidding? The purpose of this wonderful game is to score more points than the other team. IMO, too much other BS has entered in - especially on the high school level - and we should nip it in the bud.
Old Fri Dec 02, 2011, 03:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Why would he be kidding? The purpose of this wonderful game is to score more points than the other team. IMO, too much other BS has entered in - especially on the high school level - and we should nip it in the bud.
Brain fart, brain fart..............was thinking captains meeting.

You are correct sir!
Old Fri Dec 02, 2011, 03:52pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
What exactly is an official warning where players are concerned?
The warning is that if he does this again, he'll be on the bench and we'll be shooting two *more* free throws.

I also don't get the warning in the pre game bit -- I remind them of good sportsmanship, but 90% of what's said in the captain's meeting is ignored anyway.

I'll talk to players and won't necessarily serve some tea if a player has a moment of bad sportsmanship, but my threshold for player behavior is well below my threshold for coach behavior.
Old Fri Dec 02, 2011, 05:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
The warning is that if he does this again, he'll be on the bench and we'll be shooting two *more* free throws.

I also don't get the warning in the pre game bit -- I remind them of good sportsmanship, but 90% of what's said in the captain's meeting is ignored anyway.

I'll talk to players and won't necessarily serve some tea if a player has a moment of bad sportsmanship, but my threshold for player behavior is well below my threshold for coach behavior.
Only 90% is ignored?
Old Fri Dec 02, 2011, 05:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post

He's referring to his pregame, not captains meeting I believe. Or not??
Old Fri Dec 02, 2011, 06:54pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Who Let The Dogs Out ???

Players, and assistant coaches, get a really, really, really short leash. Head coaches, and sometimes, captains, get a slightly longer leash. I just ignore fans.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Dec 03, 2011, 09:29am
Get away from me, Steve.

Was working the end of a blowout BV game last night -- we're inside of 30 seconds. Kid from the losing team tries to go through a kid twice his size who has legal guarding position -- he bounces off of the defender and ends up on his back. Ball goes in the hole. Nothing to call, really.

As I head down the floor, the kid is screaming at me. It continues up to half-court (and my "had enough" meter was probably at an 8 of 10) when he swore at me. Whack. 20 seconds left in my fourth HS game and my first technical foul of the season.

The captain came up to me as I was administering the free throws and started with, "There's only 20 seconds left....." and I told him that no player was going to swear at me. After the final horn the kid intercepted us as we were going into the locker room (the locker room is a door on the end line) and apologized to both of us. Probably told to do so.

The visiting team committed 16 fouls in the first half -- 8 on the home team. Both teams were in the double bonus the second half. It was a long night.
Old Sun Dec 04, 2011, 07:15pm
Official Forum Member

Handed out my first technical of the year yesterday during a JV tournament, and it involved a mouthy player. I was Lead in transition and the ball goes out in the backcourt on my sideline. The V player (On defense) had knocked it OOB, but I didn't have a great look so I got help from my partner and we gave it to the H team. One of the V players walks toward me and says "Come on!" pretty demonstratively, to which I tell him to cut it out in no uncertain terms. He holds up two fingers and tells me "That's two". Whack. His coach yanked him and sat him for a while. He wasn't smart enough to shut his trap when I gave him the chance.
Old Sun Dec 04, 2011, 07:32pm
Back from the DL

On Friday, I was telling someone at pick-up ball that I don't need to assess T's for unsportsmanlike purposes very often.

Of course, the very next day, first game of the season assigned by my board, boys' varsity, #15 white gets exasperated and drops F-bombs. Whack.

No biggie. The coach asked me who did it, I identified, and he sat him.

After the game, it occured to me that I yellow card in my first high school soccer game this fall (also boys' varsity), but I had none the rest of the year (with the exception of the U-12 girls' assistant coach I had to toss). You just never know.
Old Sun Dec 04, 2011, 10:10pm
Official Forum Member

Short leash

Probably two minutes into a tournament game today, and I called a kid for turning to me after a very obvious foul call and throwing his hands up and saying, "WHAT?" I am NOT going to be upstaged, especially not on the first call of the game, and an obvious arm-grab at that. Tolerate that, and it's going to be a very long game. Set the tone then and there, and it was a nice afternoon. Coach pulled him and chewed his but. I wouldn't have called that 10 years ago, but I also used to let people walk on me then too.
Old Mon Dec 05, 2011, 02:47am
Official Forum Member

Speaking of being shown up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mplagrow View Post
Probably two minutes into a tournament game today, and I called a kid for turning to me after a very obvious foul call and throwing his hands up and saying, "WHAT?" I am NOT going to be upstaged, especially not on the first call of the game, and an obvious arm-grab at that. Tolerate that, and it's going to be a very long game. Set the tone then and there, and it was a nice afternoon. Coach pulled him and chewed his but. I wouldn't have called that 10 years ago, but I also used to let people walk on me then too.
Saturday I had a kid do the eye roll, and drop the ball at my feet. As the free throws are being shot, the coach asks me and I tell him what happened.

"But he didn't say anything".
"That might be good for you Coach, but it doesn't work for me".

And the game went on.
Old Mon Dec 05, 2011, 06:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
You're kidding I assume?
No, why put up with any of it?
Old Mon Dec 05, 2011, 10:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyref10 View Post
No, why put up with any of it?
You discuss it in pregame or do you mention warnings in captains meeting?