The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 02, 2011, 07:38am
Official Forum Member

Any other opinions on the legality of these jumpstops? Would it be out of line to talk to officials before game to ask them to observe the moves in warmups so it doesn't surprise them during game?
Old Fri Dec 02, 2011, 08:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jump stop View Post
Would it be out of line to talk to officials before game to ask them to observe the moves in warmups so it doesn't surprise them during game?
Yes, it would be out of line. It would also be counter-productive. You might as well try to teach them the rule....
Old Fri Dec 02, 2011, 08:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Any other opinions on the legality of these jumpstops? Would it be out of line to talk to officials before game to ask them to observe the moves in warmups so it doesn't surprise them during game?
Better to have the coach talk to the officials during the game -- "Bob, what did she do?" (official mumbles some answer) "I have it as jumping off one foot and landing simultaneously on both feet -- please watch for that."
Old Fri Dec 02, 2011, 08:40am
Official Forum Member

Exactly, After talking to the referees( after the game in which they called this move a travel) about this move some seemed confused "catching the ball with one foot on floor and jumping to 2 feet landing simultaneously". So it makes me question how well versed they are on this and they usually say "well maybe you are right" with a deer in headlight look. So my view is to prep them before hand.

The move that gets called the most is the 'step back move' starting at 4:19 on video. thanks

As I stated earlier in most games it is not called but when we get a referree that calls it is very frustrating. In one game the step back was called 3 times.

Last edited by jump stop; Fri Dec 02, 2011 at 08:42am.
Old Fri Dec 02, 2011, 09:52am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Exactly, After talking to the referees( after the game in which they called this move a travel) about this move some seemed confused "catching the ball with one foot on floor and jumping to 2 feet landing simultaneously". So it makes me question how well versed they are on this and they usually say "well maybe you are right" with a deer in headlight look. So my view is to prep them before hand.

The move that gets called the most is the 'step back move' starting at 4:19 on video. thanks

As I stated earlier in most games it is not called but when we get a referree that calls it is very frustrating. In one game the step back was called 3 times.
If it's really a concern I'd suggest you have your coach address the issue with the appropriate assignor. And he would need to frame it as "seeking clarification on a rule" type of inquiry.

But in the end, remember that at your daughter's age she not liking to get the most highly trained officials.
Old Fri Dec 02, 2011, 09:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Can't see why 'step back move' would be called, just a legal jump stop that happens to be backward rather than usual forward move.

What age/level is your daughter playing? If she is in vid, looks like 7th,8th grade? With exceptions you may have newer officials doing those games. I realize it must be frustrating if moves are legal.

I always listened to a coach or even parent(halftime, or after game if they were respectful to discuss a situation at length) in a lower level game.
Old Fri Dec 02, 2011, 12:23pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Yes it would be out of line to try prepping the officials. If they don't know the rule, they aren't going to take your word. If they do, they don't need your help. No good can come from it. Teach your daughter to adjust. If they call it once, stop using it.
Old Fri Dec 02, 2011, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Teach your daughter to adjust. If they call it once, stop using it.
Ditto. Your daughter appears to be committed to being the best player She can be. Teaching Her to adapt Her game each night to what the referee crew is or is not allowing will help in being flexible and adaptable in the things She can control.

When I coached we had an acroname that the team used to remind each other to quickly adapt to changing situations. SAID
S-pecific
A-daptation to
I-mposed
D-emands

How the referee is calling the game is just one of the Demands Imposed on that day's game. Adapt and overcome.
Old Fri Dec 02, 2011, 02:30pm
Official Forum Member

You ought to send this(video) to all the coaches you can.
Old Fri Dec 02, 2011, 02:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indianaref View Post
You ought to send this(video) to all the coaches you can.

Send it to coaches or referees?
Old Sat Dec 03, 2011, 12:11pm
Official Forum Member

Good footwork for her age.

I didn't see a travel.

I normally watch the two foot landing very closely, and hit the travel if not simultaneous.

I see a lot of illegal jump stops in inner city leagues.
Old Sat Dec 03, 2011, 11:02pm
Official Forum Member

Nice job with this video. It's good for officials in that it shows very well how to look for the pivot foot.
Traveling remains the most missed call in basketball.
Old Sat Dec 03, 2011, 11:10pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Sammy, A Little Traveling Music Please ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by refiator View Post
Traveling remains the most missed call in basketball.
And a call that is often made when the player really doesn't travel.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Dec 03, 2011 at 11:13pm.
Old Sat Dec 03, 2011, 11:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
And a call that is often made when the player really doesn't travel.
Indeed. It works both ways.
Old Sun Dec 04, 2011, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

In regards to the video, 1:27 -1:49:
Take a look at 4-44-3b ... After coming to a stop and establishing a pivot foot: if the player jumps, neither foot may return to the floor, before the ball is released on a pass or try for goal.
This is what I understand to be a "drop-step", and in the video, both feet are off the floor (jump), and then the left foot returns to the floor before the ball is released on a try, thus a travel call. This move, to be legal, must have the non-pivot foot in contact with the floor, before the pivot foot is lifted. Admittedly, it is sometimes missed, due to the speed of the move.