The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 18, 2004, 10:24am
Official Forum Member

My 16 yo daughter called her first games last week. She did a league 12U doubleheader on Thursday and 3 10U tournament games on Saturday. She handled herself very well. I was on the bases for each of her games (working pro bono – these were all single umpire games).

Her strike zone was a little rough (vertically) for the first few games, but she got it reasonably well under control in the last 2 games. She had to endure a bit of chirping about her high strikes (and they were high). After a bit of coaching (by you-know-who), she called a pretty consistent top of her zone.

She made a couple of gutsy calls – one at home, one at third.

The one at home:
10U. R1 on 2B. 1 out. Offensive team is in the 3rd base dugout. Infield grounder. Defense throws BR out, while R1 has passed 3B and is trying to score the go-ahead run. Very close play at the plate. R1 slides by the plate on the 1st base side. Even from where I was, it was clear she did not touch the plate. While she is sliding, the throw comes in to the catcher. R1 scrambling to get to the plate as the tag comes down. OUT. Inning over. Coaches go somewhat ballistic. One comes running to me asking if that call can be appealed. I say, “Talk to the plate umpire. It was her call.” He goes and talks to her. I walk closer, just in case. She handles it very well – explains to the very excited coach that the runner slid by the base, and was tagged before she could get back. I told her later the only thing she should have done differently was to give a big POINT – “TAG” – SELL OUT call. It may have defused the coach (probably not completely, but it may have helped.)

After everything, she said she had a lot of fun and wanted to knew when her next game was! I’m gonna need to get my shirt repaired – no more buttons!
Old Tue May 18, 2004, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to buddha69
Thumbs up

That is awesome!!

Well last night my daughter played her first game of Tee-Ball. The only thing bad about it is that the game before hers started the umpire quit. I seen the Rec. Dir. talk to the coach saying "that they would have "No" Ump for there game, that they would have to do it. My daughters coach is My UIC, she is coaching Tee-ball as well as Umpiring. Being that I was off last night, they where looking for me to call the game. So I did, but when my daughter came up to bat. I told her to take a deep breath,let it out and swing. She hit the ball between the F1 and F3. As the F1 got the ball, she threw it to first, F3 then drop it and pick it up and step on the base right before my daughters foot it the base. And of course "I DID NOT WANT TO CALL MY DAUGHTER OUT. BUT I DID! DAM.

Short story, she batted twice making it to first the second time.

She went 1 for 2, single, RBI

She held her own on infield playing 2nd.

She made me proud last night!!!!!!

Can wait til she plays more!!!!
Old Tue May 18, 2004, 01:59pm
In Memoriam

Thumbs up

Sounds like fun folks.
I remember when ....

I was an awful fan, when I used to be a parent.
I didn't ump so much from the stands, as I mostly coached from the stands.

Watching your daughter play is very special.
Officiating with your daughter has got to be a special treat.

mick

Old Tue May 18, 2004, 03:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by buddha69
That is awesome!!

Well last night my daughter played her first game of Tee-Ball. The only thing bad about it is that the game before hers started the umpire quit. I seen the Rec. Dir. talk to the coach saying "that they would have "No" Ump for there game, that they would have to do it. My daughters coach is My UIC, she is coaching Tee-ball as well as Umpiring. Being that I was off last night, they where looking for me to call the game. So I did, but when my daughter came up to bat. I told her to take a deep breath,let it out and swing. She hit the ball between the F1 and F3. As the F1 got the ball, she threw it to first, F3 then drop it and pick it up and step on the base right before my daughters foot it the base. And of course "I DID NOT WANT TO CALL MY DAUGHTER OUT. BUT I DID! DAM.

Short story, she batted twice making it to first the second time.

She went 1 for 2, single, RBI

She held her own on infield playing 2nd.

She made me proud last night!!!!!!

Can wait til she plays more!!!!
Thats very neat! More fun times to come.

I called my Daughters 12U this year when the ump didnt show. I called my Daughter out for not tagging up from 3B to home. All I wanted to do when I saw it coming was yell "go back go back". That wasnt fun and she was not happy at all.
Old Wed May 19, 2004, 07:04am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to buddha69
Talking

Yeah, my UIC which is her coach laugh at it too. It was all good. But this time I'm hiding so I can watch. LOL
Old Wed May 19, 2004, 09:13am
Official Forum Member

In out teeball leagues, we never have an umpire. The coaches call it and I can't remember a single disagreement in 3 years. However, we also don't keep score - so when it's close, we all assume she's safe.